Mailing List Archive

[OT](a bit) Re: HTTP and MPM support
On 25.01.2019 21:15, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> On 1/25/2019 11:00 AM, Michael A. Capone wrote:
>> I have to add my voice to the growing chorus here.
>
> Me too. Frequently when the topic of mod_perl going stale comes up somebody jumps in with
> "That's old stuff, you should be using PSGI/Plack". Those people simply don't understand
> the overall utility of mod_perl beyond simply running a webapp <sigh>. I have
> authentication and authorization handlers written in mod_perl, and the ability to directly
> access the Apache API allows things that PSGI simply cannot do.

I think that is a reasonable bet to say that by the mere fact of being subscribed to this
list, we all express our interest in, and love of perl and mod_perl in particular.
(I cannot complain, as I was the first one to hijack John's question in that sense).

But really, the underlying concern here seems to find out a bit about the future support
and evolution of mod_perl, in parallel to the evolution of Apache httpd and the HTTP
protocol(s).

So if a mod_perl committer would happen to read this, it would be nice to get some
information or pointers.
There is a list here, so I suppose there are some such people :
http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?pmc=perl

As this is an Apache Project, I would guess that starting from the main site apache.org,
there must also be a way to find out about any activity in that project (it's named
sometimes "perl", sometimes "mod_perl" there, but if you follow the project link, you end
up on the same on-line documentation page that we all know and love, but which doesn't
seem to lead to any further data on what's happening currently).
There is also a "perl-dev" mailing list, but browsing it backward from today doesn't seem
to show much activity since January 2017 (Hi, Rainer and Steve :-)

The good side about this of course, is that mod_perl would appear to be a very stable and
reliable module, since there is also not much evidence of bugs, patches etc.
The less good side is that it appears indeed *very* stable.

Unless we're all on the wrong track, and there is a hidden project somewhere for a
mod_perl 3 based on perl 6..
Re: [OT](a bit) Re: HTTP and MPM support [ In reply to ]
Le 26/01/2019 à 00:00, André Warnier (tomcat) a écrit :
> On 25.01.2019 21:15, Paul B. Henson wrote:
>> On 1/25/2019 11:00 AM, Michael A. Capone wrote:
>>> I have to add my voice to the growing chorus here.
>>
>> Me too. Frequently when the topic of mod_perl going stale comes up
>> somebody jumps in with
>> "That's old stuff, you should be using PSGI/Plack". Those people
>> simply don't understand
>> the overall utility of mod_perl beyond simply running a webapp
>> <sigh>. I have
>> authentication and authorization handlers written in mod_perl, and
>> the ability to directly
>> access the Apache API allows things that PSGI simply cannot do.
>
> I think that is a reasonable bet to say that by the mere fact of being
> subscribed to this list, we all express our interest in, and love of
> perl and mod_perl in particular.
> (I cannot complain, as I was the first one to hijack John's question
> in that sense).
>
> But really, the underlying concern here seems to find out a bit about
> the future support and evolution of mod_perl, in parallel to the
> evolution of Apache httpd and the HTTP protocol(s).
>
> So if a mod_perl committer would happen to read this, it would be nice
> to get some information or pointers.
> There is a list here, so I suppose there are some such people :
> http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html?pmc=perl

Hi,

You can have a look at the following ASF monthly report to have some
more ideas on the activity of the project:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2018/board_minutes_2018_11_21.txt

There has already been a more or less simitar discussion this summer
(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/perl-modperl/201806.mbox/thread
(continued in July and August))

In short: some are still interested in the development and/or
maintenance of mod_perl but there are some limitation:
   - lack of http2 support because http2 does not work with prefork
   - lack of mpm other than prefork support (according to the thread)

CJ