Dipl. Ing. Rolf Schaufelberger

plusW GmbH
Hauffstr. 28/1
73614 Schorndorf

T +49 (0)7181 4747305
F +49 (0)7181 4745344
rs@plusw.de
www.plusw.de
Re: mod_perl developer wanted [ In reply to ]
Guten Tag Rolf Schaufelberger,
am Donnerstag, 14. September 2017 um 09:10 schrieben Sie:

> We don't have the skills to debug this, so we are looking for somebody who will do this.
> We have a virtual machine, ready setup, accessible from outside, so this could be done from remote.

Why not additionally post your core dumps and some description of your
software or such here? Maybe someone recognizes something you missed
or is able to provide some debugging help for others or whatever. Or
is it secret for some reason? Doesn't sound like you have anything to
loose.

On the Bugzilla support mailing list for example, people with core
dumps after distro upgrades simply often forgot to delete Bugzilla
private packages which are not binary compatible to newer Perls
anymore and such things.

Mit freundlichen Gr??en,

Thorsten Sch?ning

--
Thorsten Sch?ning E-Mail: Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de
AM-SoFT IT-Systeme http://www.AM-SoFT.de/

Telefon...........05151- 9468- 55
Fax...............05151- 9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

AG Hannover HRB 207 694 - Gesch?ftsf?hrer: Andreas Muchow
Re: mod_perl developer wanted [ In reply to ]
Something similar happened to us when we attempted to upgrade from Debian 7
to Debian 8. Seemingly random core dumps were wreaking havoc in our
production environment. At the time, I posted the dumps here but we never
did find a solution and we were forced to fall back to Debian 7, which is
where we're still at. I'm kinda hoping that the problem will have been
fixed in Debian 9 because, if it hasn't, we'll effectively be trapped on
Debian 7.

--
John Dunlap
*CTO | Lariat *

*Direct:*
*john@lariat.co <john@lariat.co>*

*Customer Service:*
877.268.6667
support@lariat.co
Re: mod_perl developer wanted [ In reply to ]
* Thorsten Sch?ning <tschoening@am-soft.de> wrote:

> Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 17:08:57 +0200
> From: Thorsten Sch?ning <tschoening@am-soft.de>
> To: "modperl@perl.apache.org" <modperl@perl.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: mod_perl developer wanted
>
> Guten Tag Rolf Schaufelberger,
> am Donnerstag, 14. September 2017 um 09:10 schrieben Sie:
>
> > We don't have the skills to debug this, so we are looking for somebody who will do this.
> > We have a virtual machine, ready setup, accessible from outside, so this could be done from remote.
>
> Why not additionally post your core dumps and some description of your
> software or such here? Maybe someone recognizes something you missed
> or is able to provide some debugging help for others or whatever. Or
> is it secret for some reason? Doesn't sound like you have anything to
> loose.

Exactly. That'd also help people who might potentially want to help gauge the extent of the problem - what they are getting into, before committing to it.

> On the Bugzilla support mailing list for example, people with core
> dumps after distro upgrades simply often forgot to delete Bugzilla
> private packages which are not binary compatible to newer Perls
> anymore and such things.

One alternative, which I often do, is to build your own binaries.

Regards,

Jie

Re: mod_perl developer wanted [ In reply to ]
I'm the original poster of this thread and I can tell some news.

First, because somebody asked , why I'ven;t not just posted the dump file here. I've chosen this form to find somebody helping us, since a former posting from me to the same issue didn't get any response, so I hoped to get it fixed that way. I made these test some months ago , and this discussion motivated me to make a new attempt.
So, this afternoon I made a new installation , compiled a new Perl with mod_perl-2.0.10 installed all my dependencies new from CPAN and still got a core dump. Since due to my own investigations my suspect was File::LibMagic, since it appeared on the top of output from the segfault ( while this output sometimes was visible and sometimes wasn't). The segfault already happened during server startup.
So I looked at the code from LibMagic.pm and found , that it is using XSLoader and calls XSLoader::load during startup.
With the help of the XSLoader- documentation I changed this to use DynaLoader instead :

So I changed :

use XSLoader;

our $VERSION = '1.15';

XSLoader::load( __PACKAGE__, $VERSION );
use base 'Exporter';

require DynaLoader;
our @ISA = qw( DynaLoader);
our $VERSION = '1.15';
bootstrap File::LibMagic $VERSION;

and now apache starts without segfault and my application seems to run. (seems because I've just clicked a bit with no error but didn't male deeper tests).

So , I can setup my systems to use this patched version of LibMagic and problem solved (more or less). But I'm wondering, that nobody else seems to have the same problems. I'll contact the author anyway.
Does anybody have an idea, why it doesn't work with XSLoader ?

> Am 23.09.2017 um 07:30 schrieb Jie Gao <J.Gao@sydney.edu.au>:
>
> * Thorsten Schöning <tschoening@am-soft.de <mailto:tschoening@am-soft.de>> wrote:
>
>> Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 17:08:57 +0200
>> From: Thorsten Schöning <tschoening@am-soft.de>
>> To: "modperl@perl.apache.org" <modperl@perl.apache.org>
>> Subject: Re: mod_perl developer wanted
>>
>> Guten Tag Rolf Schaufelberger,
>> am Donnerstag, 14. September 2017 um 09:10 schrieben Sie:
>>
>>> We don't have the skills to debug this, so we are looking for somebody who will do this.
>>> We have a virtual machine, ready setup, accessible from outside, so this could be done from remote.
>>
>> Why not additionally post your core dumps and some description of your
>> software or such here? Maybe someone recognizes something you missed
>> or is able to provide some debugging help for others or whatever. Or
>> is it secret for some reason? Doesn't sound like you have anything to
>> loose.
>
> Exactly. That'd also help people who might potentially want to help gauge the extent of the problem - what they are getting into, before committing to it.
>
>> On the Bugzilla support mailing list for example, people with core
>> dumps after distro upgrades simply often forgot to delete Bugzilla
>> private packages which are not binary compatible to newer Perls
>> anymore and such things.
>
> One alternative, which I often do, is to build your own binaries.
>

> Regards,
>

> Jie
>

>> Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
>>
>> Thorsten Schöning
>>
>> --
>> Thorsten Schöning E-Mail: Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de
>> AM-SoFT IT-Systeme http://www.AM-SoFT.de/
>>
>> Telefon...........05151- 9468- 55
>> Fax...............05151- 9468- 88
>> Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04
>>
>> AM-SoFT GmbH IT-Systeme, Brandenburger Str. 7c, 31789 Hameln
>> AG Hannover HRB 207 694 - Geschäftsführer: Andreas Muchow

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Dipl. Ing. Rolf Schaufelberger
Geschäftsführer

plusW GmbH
Hauffstr. 28/1
73614 Schorndorf

T +49 (0)7181 4747305
F +49 (0)7181 4745344
rs@plusw.de
www.plusw.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
plusW GmbH, Stuttgarterstr. 26, 73635 Rudersberg, Deutschland
Geschäftsführer: Dipl. Ing. Rolf Schaufelberger
Amts- und Registergericht: Stuttgart, HRB 725960
Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE 814 966 811