applications?
The sites we build are not high-volume sites,
they are school websites, municipalities, small
non-profits and small business.
Any recommendations would be greatly
appreciated.
Thank you all,
Joe N
Re: mod_perl Website Hosting [ In reply to ]
> Hello all,
> Just trying to update my knowledge about
> website hosting services.
> Can anyone recommend hosting companies
> that have a good track record of hosting mod_perl
> applications?

I haven't found much that is secure in a shared server environment,
so I run my own servers that all run mod_perl2. The web site hosting
services I provide for clients are strictly for static HTML web sites
(due to security reasons in that the server-side code has too much
access to the system), so the additional hosting options are more
expensive as a result -- an isolated server (or servers), or a
virtualized server (nearly all my clients chose the former option).

The big concern will be security. If server-side code isn't
restricted or isolated properly (on many hosting systems I've seen it
isn't), then another user on the system could modify your sites, or
cause other problems (either intentionally or unintentionally).

Another problem I've encountered is that updates sometimes break
things, and especially in shared environments that can be more common
since there is often a need for a wider diversity of libraries,
modules, etc. Ideally the updates should be run in test environments
first, but I only know of a few people who practice this diligently.

I mention these points to give you some ideas about what to consider
(e.g., isolation) when selecting such a service.

> The sites we build are not high-volume sites,
> they are school websites, municipalities, small
> non-profits and small business.

Volume usually isn't the problem, but transport speed can be if it's
very slow and you need to serve large documents (e.g., PDFs that are
hundreds of megabites in size).

An important factor is whether the system can work consistently, and
it should be tested under heavy load to ensure consistency in the
event that high volume comes unexpectedly (e.g., the web site is
featured in the news, or someone redirects traffic from a busy web
site to yours, etc.).

> Any recommendations would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thank you all,
> Joe N

Randolf Richardson - randolf@inter-corporate.com
Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
http://www.inter-corporate.com/
Re: mod_perl Website Hosting [ In reply to ]
Thanks to all that replied.

Joe N

Re: mod_perl Website Hosting [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 12:40:10 -0500
<jniederberger@comcast.net> wrote:

> Just trying to update my knowledge about
> website hosting services.
> Can anyone recommend hosting companies
> that have a good track record of hosting mod_perl
> applications?

I'm late on this but As Randolf said, your best bet is probably a dedicated server. I've been using low end dedicated servers from online.net and kimsufi.com at 10.00 euros/month for years, no problem at all

I even see an offer at 4.99?/month now :

https://www.kimsufi.com/fr/serveurs.xml

--
Bien ? vous, Vincent Veyron

https://compta.libremen.com
Logiciel de comptabilit?, libre
Re: mod_perl Website Hosting [ In reply to ]
As I want to stay in the UK - I've been using bigV.io services from
bytemark - slighlty more expensive - and you have to set up from scratch
- but really nice VMs and not difficult to set-up - and I get to set
them up exactly as I want them....

Re: mod_perl Website Hosting [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 04:10:40PM +0000, James Smith wrote:
> As I want to stay in the UK - I've been using bigV.io services from bytemark
> - slighlty more expensive - and you have to set up from scratch - but really
> nice VMs and not difficult to set-up - and I get to set them up exactly as I
> want them....

And they very generously provide free hosting for metacpan.org and
cpancover.com. So if you want to go that route and feel like saying
thanks, follow the link from one of those sites.

--
Paul Johnson - paul@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net
Re: mod_perl Website Hosting [ In reply to ]
Hmm, strangely I missed this the first time around.
I wonder how many other responses to my inquiry
I've missed? I only saw two responses myself.

Cheers,
Joe N

Re: mod_perl Website Hosting [ In reply to ]
Thanks, we are not just starting out;
we've been on dedicated
servers at Datapipe for years.
Been using FreeBSD but a change