Mailing List Archive

Re: WELCOME to modperl@perl.apache.org
Hello List,
I'm sending this message to know if there are some hints/tips to help
with the problem we're facing.
The problem is that for a same query repeated over time,
reply time can be as short as 5ms and as long as 1s.

Since there is neither correlation with CPU load or RAM usage, nor with
networking constraints,
we think it is due to the cache refresh mechanism.

The problem occurs at random times, with a probability of around 1/50
queries (empirical data).

Is there any configuration option which could help?

Our current httpd.conf contains the following:

PerlModule ModPerl::Registry
PerlOptions +Parent
PerlSwitches -I/home/koha/src

<Files "ilsdi.pl">
SetHandler perl-script
# more faster, link with worker
PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
# less faster, link with prefork
#PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::PerlRun
Options +ExecCGI
PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
</Files>

Thanks a lot in advance for your replies.
Best regards,

--
Arthur SUZUKI
Service informatique des bibliothèques
Re: WELCOME to modperl@perl.apache.org [ In reply to ]
Hi and welcome indeed.

Maybe one thing first : when posting to the list, do not just hit "reply" on a message
that you received previously. Create a *new* message, with a subject corresponding to what
you are asking. Then later, when someone responds, you can "reply" and keep the subject
identical.

One reason is that these messages usually go into list archives, where people can later
search for messages based on the subject, to see if their problem was not already solved
previously. If it was, and they find it, that is a big gain of time, for everyone.
See here : https://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html#Searchable_Archives

But with a subject like "Welcome to modperl", there is not a big chance that anyone would
find this message, or the future responses to it.

The other reason is : people subscribed to this list, receive these messages in their
email Inbox. And they may decide to look at the message, and maybe help, based on the
subject of the message. Again in that case, a message with a subject "Welcome to modperl"
means that some people who might potentially help you, will not even look at your message.

So I suggest to re-post your question, as a new message, with an appropriate subject.

And when you re-post your message, please add some more details about your Apache httpd
configuration, which may help to help you.

For example :
what kind of MPM are you using ? (prefork, worker, ?)
what are the settings for
KeepAlive
MaxKeepAliveRequests
KeepAliveTimeout
and the following kind of thing, specific to the MPM used :
StartServers
MaxClients
MinSpareThreads
MaxSpareThreads
ThreadsPerChild
MaxRequestsPerChild
etc..

and go have a look at the archives, maybe your question is already answered there.
For example here : http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/perl-modperl/201610.mbox/browser

See how a good subject helps ?