Mailing List Archive

FW: whats the ideal coding method in embperl

RE: FW: whats the ideal coding method in embperl [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> > I am really a newbie to embperl and wants to create a low traffic
> > site which wil run on a 256 MB RAM VPS without swap, i have a few
> > question :
> > 1)Whats the coding style wrt to the coding what i
> understand is : the
> > obvious base.epl file with the necessary hierarchy i am
> more concerned
> > with epwebapp.pl where should i place it,

That depends. If you just have one such file, you might place it in a diretory outside of your document root and put that directory in an Embperl_Object_Addpath

If you put in in your document root you can have different applications (which might inherit form each other, like db/epwebapp.pl), for different subdirs.

>> i have gone throught the
> > embperl site at eg/ folder .I think we should place all the
> coding in
> > this file and call the object to this file in every page ,

You could do most of the processing in the init method and use the html pages just to display the result. Of course you can also call into the application object from your html pages

>> but this
> > will increase the size of the epwebapp.pl so will this slow
> the site ,

I don't think that this will be significant

> > i am looking a lot of internal processing which includes
> calling other
> > pages via LWP so it may take up to 1 min to process or more.
> >
> > 2) How to install embperl at Centos 4.2 system with yum
> command/tool.

Sorry, I never used Centos

> > 3)Any tutorials apart from http://www.ecos.de/embperl/ ?

A few, but the most information should be on this site

Gerald

Re: FW: whats the ideal coding method in embperl [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 06:40:25AM +0100, Richter, Gerald wrote:
> > > 2) How to install embperl at Centos 4.2 system with yum
> >> command/tool.
>
> Sorry, I never used Centos

Don't use yum, use cpan. It won't be in a yum repository, but it is in
the CPAN repository.

Kathryn Andersen
--
_--_|\ | Kathryn Andersen <http://www.katspace.com>
/ \ |

Re: FW: whats the ideal coding method in embperl [ In reply to ]
Since I happen to sit on the CentOS mailing list as well, they would say
that you should always try to install from the yum repository first.

Three repositories that have a good chance of having it would be
kbsingh's, the dag repository, or rpmforge.

The normal OS repository absolutely won't have it, but if there's an
rpm for it anywhere, it will probably be on one of those.

Generally speaking, it's very highly suggested you try to use a CentOS rpm.

When all else fails, there is always CPAN, or installing from a tarball,
but you should definitely check the repositories first. 4.2 is old, but
even still.

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet dot com>

http://www.infostreet.com

"The only true sports are bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto racing." -Earnest Hemingway

"Because everything else requires only one ball." -Unknown

"Do you wanna go fast or suck?" -Mike Kojima

"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love." -Sir Stirling Moss