Mailing List Archive

Build of V2.1.0 fails on FreeBSD V6.1
I am trying to build Embperl V2.1.0 on:

FreeBSD d0102 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Wed Aug 30 16:36:17 UTC
2006 amd64

Has anyone successfully built Embperl for this environment?

I have searched through the archives and have found some discussions on this
subject, and have resolved one problem. The make on FreeBSD does not seem
to perform the step of recusive makes in the sub-directories. I have solved
this problem by doing a:

make subdirs

followed by:

make

The show stopper problem is that the tests fail immediately as follows:

make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=0 /usr/local/bin/perl "-Iblib/lib" "-Iblib/arch" test.pl

/home/drayner/perlbuild/Embperl-2.1.0/blib/lib/Embperl.pm line 108.
Compilation failed in require at test.pl line 1809.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at test.pl line 1809.

Test terminated with fatal error
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at test.pl line 1209.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /home/drayner/perlbuild/Embperl-2.1.0.

I know Gerald Richter worked on this problem for a while more than a year
ago, but from the mail thread in the archive, it was not resolved. Any
information beyond that point would be most appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Doug Rayner
Senior System Architect
Savicom: Next Generation eMail Marketing
http://www.savicom.net
(415) 617-9006

Re: Build of V2.1.0 fails on FreeBSD V6.1 [ In reply to ]
I have done some more research on this problem, and it seems that this line
in epinit.c (#973):

perl_call_pv ("Embperl::PreLoadFiles", G_DISCARD) ;

Causes the problem. If I comment it out, everything seems to work.

Gerald, if you are seeing this: what is your opinion about why this might
fail? I took a look at the function Embperl::PreLoadFiles and it seems to
be relevany only if mod_perl is in play. I am not using mod_perl. Do you
think it's safe to comment out this call permanently?

Thanks and regards,

Doug Rayner
Senior System Architect
Savicom: Next Generation eMail Marketing
http://www.savicom.net
(415) 617-9006

Oringal post:

RE: Build of V2.1.0 fails on FreeBSD V6.1 [ In reply to ]

> I have done some more research on this problem, and it seems
> that this line in epinit.c (#973):
>
> perl_call_pv ("Embperl::PreLoadFiles", G_DISCARD) ;
>
> Causes the problem. If I comment it out, everything seems to work.
>
> Gerald, if you are seeing this: what is your opinion about
> why this might fail? I took a look at the function
> Embperl::PreLoadFiles and it seems to be relevany only if
> mod_perl is in play. I am not using mod_perl. Do you think
> it's safe to comment out this call permanently?

Yes, it's safe to comment it out. You just loose the ability to preload
files during Apache startup, which you don't use if you don't use mod_perl.

Thanks for your research, I will try to find out what's wrong with this
function.

Gerald

** Virus checked by BB-5000 Mailfilter **

Re: Build of V2.1.0 fails on FreeBSD V6.1 [ In reply to ]
Gerald;

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I have actually found a solution to the
problem. I think there is some required housekeeping that was not done
before the call to perl_call_pv. I had add the following two line before
the call and it seems to have resolved the problem. Would you consider
putting this into the next release?

{
dSP;
PUSHMARK(sp) ;
perl_call_pv ("Embperl::PreLoadFiles", G_DISCARD) ;
}

RE: Build of V2.1.0 fails on FreeBSD V6.1 [ In reply to ]

> Thanks for the quick reply. I think I have actually found a
> solution to the problem. I think there is some required
> housekeeping that was not done before the call to
> perl_call_pv. I had add the following two line before the
> call and it seems to have resolved the problem. Would you
> consider putting this into the next release?

Yes, this seems to make sense

Gerald

RE: Build of V2.1.0 fails on FreeBSD V6.1 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Finaly I have put your patch into the Embperl code and verified that all other places where perl is called sets up the stack correctly.

I send you a patched version via private email and would be happy if you could run the make test to verify that I have done the right thing, before I release the next version.

Thanks

Gerald