Mailing List Archive

Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released
I am happy to anounnce Embperl 3.0.0. It is the first release after 8 years and it brings Embperl up to date with current linux distributions and software.

This is the first release candidate. Please give it a try and and send feedback to the Embperl mailinglist.

The release candidate is available from https://www.embperl.org/downloads/Embperl-3.0.0_1.tar.gz

For installation instructions see INSTALL.pod

The release mainly incoporates the patches for Debian and for Fedora based systems.
It also includes some small fixes from myself.

There are no new features for Embperl itself in this release, but Embperl::Form has a lot of enhancements. If you use Embperl::Form, please test before use.

I like to thank all the people who have continually put work into Embperl:

- The Debian Perl Group, especially Dominic Hargreaves, Florian Schlichting and Axel Beckert
- Marcus Doemling for the Fedora patches

and others.

Please note the webiste athttp://www.embperl.org has also been updated to reflect the update. perl.apache.org/embperl is not yet updated, but will be soon.

Changes in 3.0.0-rc.1 31. Sept 2023

- Apply debian patches
(https://sources.debian.org/patches/libembperl-perl/2.5.0-17/).
Thanks to the Debian Perl Group, especially Dominic Hargreaves,
Florian Schlichting and Axel Beckert

- Apply patches for fedora
(https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=148621 and
https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=148702)
Thanks to Marcus Doemling

- Fixed compilation/Makefile of/for libxml2 and libxslt

- Fixed warnings about undefined values in log. Note this
is done by goning back to the old behaviour, were
using uninitialized values were not a warning. So if
you like to have warnings about uninitialized values
add [* use warnings "uninitialized" *] to your code.

- Add a lot of enhancements to Embperl::Form
Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
Wow, Thank you!

Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
Was this sent to the embperl list? I got this from Jim, not the list. Is
there some other list that I'm not aware of?

Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
On Devuan release (Daedalus, based on Debian bookworm minus systemd),
the new release compiles ok, albeit with some warnings (let me know if
the warnings would be useful).

make test gives this error, same as what happens on Embperl that ships
with Debian:

#115 includeerr2.htm...
Error in Line 1
Is: <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Embperl Error</TITLE></HEAD><BODY bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
Should: <EOF>
Input: test/html/includeerr2.htm
Output: test/tmp/out.htm
Compared to: test/cmp/includeerr2.htm520
Log: test/tmp/test.log
Testparameter:
cmpext = 520
version = 2
condition = $] >= 5.019400
repeat = 2
errors = 7

ERRORS detected! NOT all tests have been passed successfully

cat: test/tmp/httpd.pid: No such file or directory
make: *** [Makefile:1468: test_dynamic] Error 1

Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
Hi Neil,

there is one test file missing in the tar.gz. Sorry for this, I will publish a rc.2 later on.

Regards

Gerald

P.S. The original announcement mail has gone to the list

Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
That is very cool

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
Yes, this is very cool, thanks to whoever made this happen.

But can someone please explain what actevy.io is, it seems to be a list
of some sort, but the website is very rudimentary and I see no option
for signing up to any list there.

What is actevy.io and why was this seemingly announced there rather than
on the official embperl mailing list? I saw no announcement that was
actually addressed to embperl@perl.apache.org, these posts seem to be in
reply to something that was sent to embperl@actevy.io. I am a heavy user
of Embperl and would like to be in the loop on whatever is going on.
It's extremely important to my website, central in fact. Please fill me
in on what is happening here and why the different address that I've
never seen before.

Thanks,

Neil

Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
My question is what apache and mod_perl will this work with?

Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
Hi Neil,

embperl@actevy.io is just my personal email I use for embperl stuff (instead of richter@ecos.de).

The new release was announced on the Embperl mailling list as always and this will not change.

I am just about to move my OpenSource stuff under a common website, which is actevy.io. For Embperl embperl.org and perl.apache.org/embperl will continue to work as you used to it and there is no change of the mailing list.

Hope this clarifies things a little.

Regards

Gerald

Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
Hi Ruben,

it is tested with mod_perl/Apache from the current linux distributions (see https://perl.apache.org/embperl/pod/INSTALL.htm). It should also work with older mod_perl/Apache, but I have not tested this.

Regards

Gerald

Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
Hi Neil,

were you able to verify that Embperl rc.2 fixes this test issue?

Would be great to get some feedback, so I can prepare the final release of Embperl 3.0.0 and upload it to CPAN.

Thanks & Regards

Gerald

Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 07:35:30PM +0100, embperl@actevy.io wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> were you able to verify that Embperl rc.2 fixes this test issue?
>
> Would be great to get some feedback, so I can prepare the final release of Embperl 3.0.0 and upload it to CPAN.
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Gerald

Gerald Ricter?

Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
I don't know what is going on with this list, but I never got this
message that is quoted from Gerald. Are there two email lists? Where is
the other one, and how do I sign up for it?

I didn't even know there was an rc.2 release candidate. Could someone
please tell me what is going on, I have asked before but got no answer.

Thanks,

Neil

On 11/19/23 10:23, Ruben Safir wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 07:35:30PM +0100, embperl@actevy.io wrote:
>> Hi Neil,
>>
>> were you able to verify that Embperl rc.2 fixes this test issue?
>>
>> Would be great to get some feedback, so I can prepare the final release of Embperl 3.0.0 and upload it to CPAN.
>>
>> Thanks & Regards
>>
>> Gerald
>>

> Gerald Ricter?
>>
>>> Neil Gunton <neil@nilspace.com> hat am 05.10.2023 18:32 CEST geschrieben:
>>>

>>> On Devuan release (Daedalus, based on Debian bookworm minus systemd),
>>> the new release compiles ok, albeit with some warnings (let me know if
>>> the warnings would be useful).
>>>
>>> make test gives this error, same as what happens on Embperl that ships
>>> with Debian:
>>>
>>> #115 includeerr2.htm...
>>> Error in Line 1
>>> Is: <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Embperl Error</TITLE></HEAD><BODY bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
>>> Should: <EOF>
>>> Input: test/html/includeerr2.htm
>>> Output: test/tmp/out.htm
>>> Compared to: test/cmp/includeerr2.htm520
>>> Log: test/tmp/test.log
>>> Testparameter:
>>> cmpext = 520
>>> version = 2
>>> condition = $] >= 5.019400
>>> repeat = 2

Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
Hi Neil

I think everyone else on the list is getting all these emails. So I'm
pretty sure everything is working fine but perhaps there is an issue on
your end?

Have you checked your spam and filters?

Can't be much more help than that I'm afraid.

Michael

On Sun, 19 Nov 2023, 20:20 Neil Gunton, <neil@nilspace.com> wrote:

> I don't know what is going on with this list, but I never got this
> message that is quoted from Gerald. Are there two email lists? Where is
> the other one, and how do I sign up for it?
>
> I didn't even know there was an rc.2 release candidate. Could someone
> please tell me what is going on, I have asked before but got no answer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil
>
> On 11/19/23 10:23, Ruben Safir wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 07:35:30PM +0100, embperl@actevy.io wrote:
> >> Hi Neil,
> >>
> >> were you able to verify that Embperl rc.2 fixes this test issue?
> >>
> >> Would be great to get some feedback, so I can prepare the final release
> of Embperl 3.0.0 and upload it to CPAN.
> >>
> >> Thanks & Regards
> >>
> >> Gerald
> >>

> > Gerald Ricter?

> geschrieben:

> bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

> after

> Fedora

> Embperl::Form,

> http://www.embperl.org>
> perl.apache.org/embperl
> be soon.

> https://sources.debian.org/patches/libembperl-perl/2.5.0-17/
> Hargreaves,

This e-mail is for the sole use of the intended recipient and contains
information that may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not an
intended recipient, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete
this e-mail and any attachments. Certain required legal entity disclosures
can be accessed on our website.
Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
I run my own mail server and I have filters on my client (Thunderbird)
that put messages from the list into the appropriate folder before the
spam filters are applied. I also check my spam folder every day for
false positives. Since I do get some messages from the list, like this
latest one, and I don't have any spam modules installed in my Sendmail
(e.g. Spamassassin), there shouldn't be any reason why I wouldn't be
getting these emails.

I have been assuming that I've been frozen out of this community for
some reason, since I ask questions (like I've asked before about this
other email list, "actevy.io") and nobody replied. So that's sad, since
I am a heavy user of Embperl, and I feel like either the tool has been
abandoned, or else I have been for whatever reason. To be honest I
stopped trying to communicate here, since I never seem to get any
someone else who cc'd me. I don't know, and I'm close to not caring any
more to be honest.

Neil

Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
Hi Neil,

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/perl-embperl

Regards

Gerald

P.S. @Michael, just in case Neil doesn't get mail I send from embperl@actevy.io, could you please forward this mail to him. Thanks!

Re: Embperl 3.0.0-rc.1 is released [ In reply to ]
Hi Ruben,

> Ruben Safir <ruben@mrbrklyn.com> hat am 19.11.2023 19:23 CET geschrieben:
>
> Gerald Ricter?

What is your question here?