new site for our company and i'm using Emb-perl to the possible like from
Security&Authentication...to dynamic content replacement.... but in my log
file i'm having these errors (or messages) ....

" [Tue May 9 14:23:53 2000] [notice] child pid 9237 exit signal
Segmentation Faul
t (11) "

Can any one explain what this means and how should i go about to correct
or change ...

rgds

Gopi

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerald Richter [mailto:richter@ecos.de]
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 4:25 AM
To: Thomas Riemer; embperl@perl.apache.org
Subject: RE: Server Errors

> I'm trying to trap the server errors that occur when embperl hits
> something
> that is incorrectly configured.
>
> i.e. someone puts in [+ $foo $]
>
> Now normally, I would expect this to generate an HTTP error 500.
> And under Apache I can "trap" this kind of error to a script handler.
>
> It seems like Embperl has a different mechanism for returning these
> errors.
>
> Can anyone offer me some help/thoughts with regards to this?

From the docs:
optReturnError = 262144
With this option set Embperl sends no output in case of an error, instead it
returns the error back to Apache or the calling programm. When running under
mod_perl this gives you the chance to use the Apache ErrorDocument directive
to show a custom error-document.

> My goal is to take the "error" that embPerl generates - package it up
> nicely and display it on the screen - and give my users a button to send
> me the error.

The problem is that you don't have access to the Embperl error message
inside your error document. You need to add the following lines in
Embperl.pm in function handler directly before the call to Execute (about
line 1210):

my @errors ;
$req{'errors'} = \@errors ;
$req_rec -> pnotes ('EMBPERL_ERRORS', \@errors) ;

then you can retrives the errors in your error handler via the $r -> pnotes
('EMBPERL_ERRORS') ;

the other possibility is to use:

EMBPERL_MAIL_ERRORS_TO
If set all errors will be send to the email adress given.

Hope this helps

Gerald

Gerald Richter ecos electronic communication services gmbh

Post: Tulpenstrasse 5 D-55276 Dienheim b. Mainz
E-Mail: richter@ecos.de Voice: +49 6133 925151
WWW: http://www.ecos.de Fax: +49 6133 925152
RE: I don't understand [ In reply to ]
Hi ,

> I'm using Emb-perl 1.3b2 and perl 5.00503 on Apache .We have
> developed a
> new site for our company and i'm using Emb-perl to the possible like from
> Security&Authentication...to dynamic content replacement.... but in my log
> file i'm having these errors (or messages) ....
>
> " [Tue May 9 14:23:53 2000] [notice] child pid 9237 exit signal
> Segmentation Faul
> t (11) "
>
> Can any one explain what this means and how should i go about to correct
> or change ...

This means that one of this childs is dieing because of a Segmenation Fault
(which means it actually crahs). Could you try to get a stackbacktrace from
gdb? (Look at the EMbperl Faq how to do it) This would show, were Apache
crashs.