Mailing List Archive

Session Management
Hi,

I am having trouble with session management. It seems to be inconsistent on my
system. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

I am using Oracle 8i on RH6.0 with Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21.
Apache is set up with DBIStore SysVSemaphoreLocker.

When I set $udat{'username'} etc, I can see the data getting written into the
DB. Sometimes though, the data is not available when I try to use it on another
page.

I have one page that always works (my buyer login page), setting the data, and
using it on the next page. But another never works (my seller account creation
page). And the buyer login cookie doesn't seem to work when I look at a page in
another directory. This makes no sense to me.

I've checked packet traces to make sure the cookies are going back and forth,
and it all looks like something is being sent in the headers. I've checked the
DB to make sure the information is getting written into the sessions table.

When I turn on the debugging and look at what embperl is up to, the $udat{}
variables are undefined when embperl evals them.

Any pointers to why this may be happening?

----
Philip Plane
CyberElves
RE: Session Management [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> I am having trouble with session management. It seems to be
> inconsistent on my
> system. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.
>
> I am using Oracle 8i on RH6.0 with Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21.
> Apache is set up with DBIStore SysVSemaphoreLocker.
>
> When I set $udat{'username'} etc, I can see the data getting
> written into the
> DB. Sometimes though, the data is not available when I try to use
> it on another
> page.
>
> I have one page that always works (my buyer login page), setting
> the data, and
> using it on the next page. But another never works (my seller
> account creation
> page). And the buyer login cookie doesn't seem to work when I
> look at a page in
> another directory. This makes no sense to me.

You must set the EMBPERL_COOKIE_PATH in your httpd.conf. Browser only sends
cookie to the same directory or a dir below, until you tell them to do
otherwise.

Does this solve your problem?

Gerald

Gerald Richter ecos electronic communication services gmbh

Post: Tulpenstrasse 5 D-55276 Dienheim b. Mainz
E-Mail: richter@ecos.de Voice: +49 6133 925151
WWW: http://www.ecos.de Fax: +49 6133 925152
Re: Session Management [ In reply to ]
Gerald,

What should I set the EMBPERL_COOKIE_PATH to?
Any recommended path?
How does this effect the cookie versus the default?
What doc/code can I read to help me understand what is going on?

Aaron Johnson

Re: Session Management [ In reply to ]
the following three settings should do it.
just change .genwax.com to .gina.net or the domain of the
server (if different).
my PATH applies to everything in my domain, but it can
apply to a subset if you desire such as /embperl/ etc..

here are my cookie settings:

PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_COOKIE_DOMAIN .genwax.com
PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_COOKIE_PATH /
PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_COOKIE_EXPIRES 'Friday, 31-Dec-2010 14:00:00 GMT'

cliff rayman
genwax.com

Re: Session Management [ In reply to ]
Cliff,

Well what if I have 30 domains and 5 are using cookies?
Can I set it in the VirtualHost section?

Thanks for you quick reponse to the first batch of questions.

Aaron Johnson

Re: Session Management [ In reply to ]
Yes - should be no problem.
Just put the PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_* settings inside
the <VirtualHost domain.net></Virtualhost> tags for each
of the domains using cookies. The domains will NOT be able to
share the cookies however. That would be a different trick. :-)

cliff rayman
genwax.com

RE: Session Management [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> But my problem of the other page where the session management
> just doesn't work
> at all is still with me. I put data into $udat{'username'} and
> then go to
> another page with $http_headers_out{'Location'}. When I get there
> I check to see
> if $udat{'username'} is defined. It isn't. I look in the sessions
> table, and
> there is an entry with all my data.

You can print out $ENV{HTTP_COOKIE} (or set dbgEnv and take a look at the
logfile) to see if the page gets the cookie and if the cookie value is the
same as in the other pages. If the cookie is ok, it should be a problem of
your program...

RE: Session Management [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> But my problem of the other page where the session management
> just doesn't work at all is still with me. I put data into
> $udat{'username'} and then go to another page with
> $http_headers_out{'Location'}. When I get there I check to see
> if $udat{'username'} is defined. It isn't. I look in the sessions
> table, and there is an entry with all my data.

i guess it's the same situation i've run into once. the 'username'
is the first variable you set in %udat so the cookie is created.
but somewhy (i really don't know if it's documented to be that
way or not) if you do a relocation with Location: after that, the
cookie doesn't get sent back and so there's no information. i
solved the problem by using <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh"> instead
of Location: - not that sleek, but works.

Rgds,
Tfr

--==< tfr@cafe.ee >==< http://tfr.cafe.ee/ >==< +1-504-4467425 >==--
Re: Session Management [ In reply to ]
i use the redirect via location with embperl and %udat
everyday without a problem. something else must be wrong
with your configuration.

cliff rayman
genwax.com

RE: Session Management [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> HTTP_COOKIE has the same value on each page, just as I would expect.
> The $udat{'username'} is undefined at each new page, even though
> it is given a
> value several times.
>
> The database currently has 8 records in the sessions table using
> the HTTP_COOKIE
> value as the id. They appear to have sensible data in them, including the
> username.

Do you run under mod_perl and have build mod_perl as DSO? If yes try either
linking mod_perl staticly into Apaache or upgrade to mod_perl 1.22. If this
doesn't help, include a [+ ref (tied(%udat)) +] in your pages, what does it
show?

Gerald

P.S. Please send answers also to the list, so other people can participate

RE: Session Management [ In reply to ]
Hi,

>Do you run under mod_perl and have build mod_perl as DSO? If yes try either
>linking mod_perl staticly into Apaache or upgrade to mod_perl 1.22. If this
>doesn't help, include a [+ ref (tied(%udat)) +] in your pages, what does it
>show?

I have mod_perl staticly linked. This is what happens

[9512]EVAL< ref (tied(%udat))
[9512]EVAL> HTML::Embperl::Session

That debugging stuff is very useful.

>P.S. Please send answers also to the list, so other people can participate

Just trying to keep my ignorance less widely known :)

----
Philip Plane
CyberElves
RE: Session Management [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> >Do you run under mod_perl and have build mod_perl as DSO? If yes
> try either
> >linking mod_perl staticly into Apaache or upgrade to mod_perl
> 1.22. If this
> >doesn't help, include a [+ ref (tied(%udat)) +] in your pages,
> what does it
> >show?
>
> I have mod_perl staticly linked. This is what happens
>
> [9512]EVAL< ref (tied(%udat))
> [9512]EVAL> HTML::Embperl::Session

That look very good. If the %udat is tied to the right object and the cookie
is the same, then I don't see any reason why is shouldn't work. Have tried
to print out all elements of %udat? Are there other values in it?

Apache::Session only writes values from %udat back to the DB if a first
level item is changed. Try to add a %udat{foo}++ ; Does is change anything?

If you print out %udat at the very end of the page where you set the values,
are they still there?

> That debugging stuff is very useful.
>
> >P.S. Please send answers also to the list, so other people can
> participate
>
> Just trying to keep my ignorance less widely known :)

Oh, there are more people who have problems with session management. They
can learn from this thread and I don't need to answer the same questions
more then neccessary.

Gerald
RE: Session Management [ In reply to ]
>That look very good. If the %udat is tied to the right object and the cookie
>is the same, then I don't see any reason why is shouldn't work. Have tried
>to print out all elements of %udat? Are there other values in it?

[9515]SRC: Line 2: [$foreach $blah (keys(%udat)) $]
[9515]CMD: Cmd = 'foreach' Arg = ' $blah (keys(%udat)) '
[9515]EVAL< (keys(%udat))
[9515]EVAL> ARRAY(0x840aa30)
[9515]TAB: nResult = 0
[9515]SRC: Line 4: [+ $blah +]
[9515]EVAL< $blah
[9515]EVAL> _session_id
[9515]TAB: nResult = 0
[9515]SRC: Line 4: [+ $udat{$blah} +]
[9515]EVAL< $udat{$blah}
[9515]EVAL> f1f24012c49342bf
[9515]TAB: nResult = 0
[9515]SRC: Line 5: [$endforeach$]
[9515]CMD: Cmd = 'endforeach'

There should be a 'username' and a 'supplier_id' there too.

----
Philip Plane
CyberElves
RE: Session Management [ In reply to ]
> >That look very good. If the %udat is tied to the right object
> and the cookie
> >is the same, then I don't see any reason why is shouldn't work.
> Have tried
> >to print out all elements of %udat? Are there other values in it?
>
> [9515]SRC: Line 2: [$foreach $blah (keys(%udat)) $]
> [9515]CMD: Cmd = 'foreach' Arg = ' $blah (keys(%udat)) '
> [9515]EVAL< (keys(%udat))
> [9515]EVAL> ARRAY(0x840aa30)
> [9515]TAB: nResult = 0
> [9515]SRC: Line 4: [+ $blah +]
> [9515]EVAL< $blah
> [9515]EVAL> _session_id
> [9515]TAB: nResult = 0
> [9515]SRC: Line 4: [+ $udat{$blah} +]
> [9515]EVAL< $udat{$blah}
> [9515]EVAL> f1f24012c49342bf
> [9515]TAB: nResult = 0
> [9515]SRC: Line 5: [$endforeach$]
> [9515]CMD: Cmd = 'endforeach'
>
> There should be a 'username' and a 'supplier_id' there too.

I don't have much ideas now anymore. Everythings seems to be really good.
The only thing I can imagine, is that you see different session. Are you
really sure that the session id you see in the log is the same for every
page?

The other possibility may be that the data goes never to the database? Maybe
you try FileStore or MemoryStore (For MemoryStore Apache must be started
with -X). Have you tried to place the $udat{foo}++ at the end of the page
which sets the username, as I wrote in my previous mail.

Gerald
RE: Session Management [ In reply to ]
Hi,

>I don't have much ideas now anymore. Everythings seems to be really good.
>The only thing I can imagine, is that you see different session. Are you
>really sure that the session id you see in the log is the same for every
>page?
>
>The other possibility may be that the data goes never to the database? Maybe
>you try FileStore or MemoryStore (For MemoryStore Apache must be started
>with -X). Have you tried to place the $udat{foo}++ at the end of the page
>which sets the username, as I wrote in my previous mail.

I display $ENV{$HTTP_COOKIE} at the top of each page, and it is always the same
(for each session).

I just tried the $udat{'foo'}++ thing, and it is reset to 0 when it goes to a
new page, but decrements from 0 (0,-127,-126...) if I refresh the same page.

I've checked the database, and the cookie info gets written to the DB. I notice
it creates a new record each time a change occurs. All records are updated
though, so I guess that doesn't hurt. But the DB gets hard to look at as it
fills up with duplicated records.
----
Philip Plane
CyberElves
RE: Session Management [ In reply to ]

> I've checked the database, and the cookie info gets written to
> the DB. I notice
> it creates a new record each time a change occurs.

Does it really create a new record for each update? It should only create a
new record for a new user. So as long as you just testing with on browser,
there should only be one record.

I suggest tring DBIFileStore first because it less complicated. If this
works then we can try again DBIStore

Gerald
RE: Session Management [ In reply to ]
Hi,

>Does it really create a new record for each update? It should only create a
>new record for a new user. So as long as you just testing with on browser,
>there should only be one record.

I am using one browser for testing. How about this for an idea, the DB is not
comitting? Maybe the multiple records I am seeing in the DB are uncommitted, and
the data is not being passed along for the same reason. I just tried adding an
explicit autocommit to the session args:

$ENV{EMBPERL_SESSION_ARGS} = "DataSource=dbi:Oracle:host=cheese;sid=cyber
UserName=web Password=web {AutoCommit=>1}" ;

But it still isn't working. :(

I think this may be the case because my DB updates weren't working, so I turned
off autocommit and started doing commits explicitly. Now my updates work.

>I suggest tring DBIFileStore first because it less complicated. If this
>works then we can try again DBIStore

OK, looking at this now.

----
Philip Plane
CyberElves
RE: Session Management [ In reply to ]
Hi,

>I suggest tring DBIFileStore first because it less complicated. If this
>works then we can try again DBIStore

FileStore just works. :)

Oracle wasn't committing updates, so DBIStore wasn't getting a look in.
AutoCommit was on, but obviously not effective.

I'll be discussing this with our DB guy to see if it's an Oracle config issue.

----
Philip Plane
CyberElves
RE: Session Management [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> >I suggest tring DBIFileStore first because it less complicated. If this
> >works then we can try again DBIStore
>
> FileStore just works. :)
>
> Oracle wasn't committing updates, so DBIStore wasn't getting a look in.
> AutoCommit was on, but obviously not effective.
>
> I'll be discussing this with our DB guy to see if it's an Oracle
> config issue.

I believe I read about problems with DBIStore and Oracle. You may search the
modperl mailing list archive for an solution. Since we are now sure it's not
an Embperl problem, I suggest you send further questions to the mod_perl
mailing list where Apache::Session problems are discussed. Maybe Jeffery
Baker knows where the problem is...