embperl is a lot faster than eperl.

If there are comparisons of the various embedded perl interpreters somewhere,
please post a link if you could.

This is for a (big)(neat) database driven website, using DBD::Oracle & mod_perl.

Thanks,

Wim Kerkhoff
wim@netmaster.com
www.canadianhomes.net/wim
RE: eperl vs. embperl comparisons [ In reply to ]
There are tons of comparisons in the archives of the main mod_perl
list....search one of the archives available at perl.apache.org and you'll
find many threads comparing the different embedded perl options.

> somebody who has not used embperl yet, is trying to get me to use eperl.
Are
> there really security issues with embperl? I've been on the mod_perl list
for

Embperl is inherently no more or less secure than the developer's perl code.
Security of the underlying Embperl code has never been an issue for us, and
we've been using Embperl for about a year.

We have never used Eperl, but at the end of the day, I think most of the
embedded perl options are very simliar and it really comes down to your
individual preferences. In many systems the *speed* of the embedded perl
option doesn't make too much of a difference once the code is cached and
because most web pages simply connect to a database, do a few recordset
operations, and create some snips of html. While the "hello world"
comparisons (http://www.chamas.com/bench/) usually rank embperl as faster
than the other embedded perl options, our experience has not showed too much
of difference with "real world" scripts.

Mason has some nice staging/production features and reusable components that
are nice. Apache::ASP is the simplest to use and is great for MS developers
transitioning to PERL. Embperl has the most features and options, but this
comes as a small tradeoff to ease of installation and configuration.

Hope this helps!

-Alex

I've been playing with embperl lately, and what I've seen is great.
However,
somebody who has not used embperl yet, is trying to get me to use eperl.
Are
there really security issues with embperl? I've been on the mod_perl list
for
quite a while, and haven't seen anything to that effect. It seems to be
that

Re: eperl vs. embperl comparisons [ In reply to ]
> Security of the underlying Embperl code has never been an issue for us, and
> we've been using Embperl for about a year.
Here here

> Mason has some nice staging/production features and reusable components that
> are nice.
I have always thought Masons 'reusable components' claim was silly
I mean 'use CGI'
(correct me if I am wrong
I have only read the docs on Mason, eperl, and ASP flavors)
but you have the power of all of CPAN with
any embedded perl solution. I would consider
that reusable components.

> Embperl has the most features and options, but this
> comes as a small tradeoff to ease of installation and configuration.
I have always used the CPAN module to do the install
and it has always been a piece of cake ;)

One final thought. (kissing sounds)
Gerald has done a really good job of
1: making new releases to the product.
2: answering any questions one might have
on the mod_perl -- and now this mailing list.

Thanks,
Jeff

| Only two things are infinite, the universe and human |
| stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. |
| -- Albert Einstein |
| Jeff Sheffield |
| jsheffie@buzzard.kdi.com |