Consultant - P6M7G8 Inc. http://p6m7g8.net
Director IT - RideCharge, Inc. http://ridecharge.com
Contractor - PositiveEnergyUSA http://positiveenergyusa.com
ASF Member - Apache Software Foundation http://apache.org
FreeBSD Committer - FreeBSD Foundation http://freebsd.org

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.

Re: docs build and netpbm [ In reply to ]
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Reposting to docs list for discussion:
>

> on this page:
>
> http://perl.apache.org/download/docs.html#Prerequisites
>
> It talks about needing netpbm, which I don't have installed, but build
> does seem to have worked right for both the HTML and for the PDF's (at
> least as far as I can tell). Should the lack of netpbm be causing an
> explosion, or am i missing out on something more subtle from not having it?
I'm pretty sure this is really outdated and very special use case.

This requirement comes from MAINTAINERS file and image conversions --
<snip>
== perl -le 'for (@ARGV) { print STDERR "converting $_\n"; \ s/\.\w+$//; \
== system "pngtopnm $_.png | pnmquant 256 | ppmtogif > $_.gif" } ' *.png
</snip>

pngtopnm et al are part of netpbm.

<snip>
dia generates .png files via its export method. As older browsers
won't recognize .png or crash, we want to use gifs instead. Here is
how to convert png files to gif files:
</snip>

I'd say any browser that can't deal with .png's we can toss at this point.

Maybe you found your first commit :)

1024D/DB9B8C1C B90B FBC3 A3A1 C71A 8E70 3F8C 75B8 8FFB DB9B 8C1C

Re: docs build and netpbm [ In reply to ]
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> I'm pretty sure this is really outdated and very special use case.
>
> This requirement comes from MAINTAINERS file and image conversions --
> <snip>
> == perl -le 'for (@ARGV) { print STDERR "converting $_\n"; \ s/\.\w+$//; \
> == system "pngtopnm $_.png | pnmquant 256 | ppmtogif > $_.gif" } '
> *.png
> </snip>
>
> pngtopnm et al are part of netpbm.
>
> <snip>
> dia generates .png files via its export method. As older browsers
> won't recognize .png or crash, we want to use gifs instead. Here is
> how to convert png files to gif files:
> </snip>
>
> I'd say any browser that can't deal with .png's we can toss at this point.
>
> Maybe you found your first commit :)

Before I start on this, you mean i should update the build process to
not bother converting the png's to gif, and the templates to use the
png's instead of the gifs, thus getting rid of the dependency on netpbm.
right?

Adam

Re: docs build and netpbm [ In reply to ]
> Before I start on this, you mean i should update the build process to
> not bother converting the png's to gif, and the templates to use the
> png's instead of the gifs, thus getting rid of the dependency on netpbm.
> right?
Sounds like a plan to me.

Re: docs build and netpbm [ In reply to ]
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>> Before I start on this, you mean i should update the build process to
>> not bother converting the png's to gif, and the templates to use the
>> png's instead of the gifs, thus getting rid of the dependency on
>> netpbm. right?
>
> Sounds like a plan to me.

So upon further investigation of this, the build process itself doesn't
seem to actually be doing any image generation. The gif/jpg/png's are
actually all checked into the repository. So knowing that i'm thinking
i'll just update the dependancies page to remove mention of netpbm, and
update the maintainers file to say that you don't need to convert the
png's to gif, but if you want to this is how you'd do it.

thoughts?

Adam