Mailing List Archive

Splitting pod from pm for A-T
>-Apache-Test API
> This is a placeholder for the Apache-Test API. (the plan is to
>split pod from .pm files, move those here and have Apache-Test include
>those at build time like modperl-2.0 does)

As I'm in the need to do some in depth learning on A-T for TM, I might
volunteer to do this.

The first step would be to create
a) svn://asf/perl/Apache-Test/docs/trunk
or
b) svn://asf/perl/modperl/docs/src/docs/Apache-Test

Do we need infra@ for that, or can we do anything we want under
asf/perl ?

The second would be to start moving things over and eventually make
the above be an svn external just like the mp2 src does.

Assumimg in step 3, we'd want to have this stuff on the website I'd
prefer 'b' from #1 above so that bin/site_build can have easy access to
these files.

"Love is not the one you can picture yourself marrying,
but the one you can't picture the rest of your life without."

Re: Splitting pod from pm for A-T [ In reply to ]
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> >-Apache-Test API
> > This is a placeholder for the Apache-Test API. (the plan is to
> >split pod from .pm files, move those here and have Apache-Test include
> >those at build time like modperl-2.0 does)
>
> As I'm in the need to do some in depth learning on A-T for TM, I might
> volunteer to do this.
>
> The first step would be to create
> a) svn://asf/perl/Apache-Test/docs/trunk
> or
> b) svn://asf/perl/modperl/docs/src/docs/Apache-Test
>
> Do we need infra@ for that, or can we do anything we want under
> asf/perl ?

Anything.

> The second would be to start moving things over and eventually make
> the above be an svn external just like the mp2 src does.
>
> Assumimg in step 3, we'd want to have this stuff on the website I'd
> prefer 'b' from #1 above so that bin/site_build can have easy access to
> these files.

+1

In fact I now don't remember why was I trying to glue the pod section to
.pm files. I see other distros just ship them separately and let MakeMaker
install them next to .pm files. I think that since I've modeled my code
after Template Toolkit's builder.

Re: Splitting pod from pm for A-T [ In reply to ]
> In fact I now don't remember why was I trying to glue the pod section to
> .pm files. I see other distros just ship them separately and let
> MakeMaker install them next to .pm files. I think that since I've
> modeled my code after Template Toolkit's builder.

wasn't the glue to make perldoc and man work even though we were installing
under Apache2/ at the time?

aside from the above, I'm +1 for removing the glue code altogether and just
letting the .pod files sit around solo - as long as man and perldoc work
whatever makes things easiest for us (and takes 10 minutes off the install
process) is the best route :)

--Geoff

Re: Splitting pod from pm for A-T [ In reply to ]
Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>In fact I now don't remember why was I trying to glue the pod section to
>>.pm files. I see other distros just ship them separately and let
>>MakeMaker install them next to .pm files. I think that since I've
>>modeled my code after Template Toolkit's builder.
>

> wasn't the glue to make perldoc and man work even though we were installing
> under Apache2/ at the time?

most likely, thanks Geoff!

> aside from the above, I'm +1 for removing the glue code altogether and just
> letting the .pod files sit around solo - as long as man and perldoc work
> whatever makes things easiest for us (and takes 10 minutes off the install
> process) is the best route :)

+1 (but need to double check first that perldoc works)