Mailing List Archive

mod_perl is "hidden" on main Apache website
Hi all,

I was browsing around on the Apache website (www.apache.org) this
morning and put myself into new user mindset. I tried to find
information about mod_perl which seems like it would be a prominent
package considering that Security Space's survey[1] ranks it as the 5th
most popular Apache module.

It seems that mod_perl should be listed in the Modules subproject[2]. It
takes a bit of searching to find the project in the Apache Module
Registry[3]. Perhaps most folks are coming directly from search engines;
it just seems surprising that the Apache project doesn't feature such an
important module more prominently.

My 0.02,
William

[1] http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200405/apachemods.html
[2] http://httpd.apache.org/modules/
[3] http://modules.apache.org/

--
Knowmad Services Inc.
http://www.knowmad.com

Re: mod_perl is "hidden" on main Apache website [ In reply to ]
William McKee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was browsing around on the Apache website (www.apache.org) this
> morning and put myself into new user mindset. I tried to find
> information about mod_perl which seems like it would be a prominent
> package considering that Security Space's survey[1] ranks it as the 5th
> most popular Apache module.
>
> It seems that mod_perl should be listed in the Modules subproject[2]. It
> takes a bit of searching to find the project in the Apache Module
> Registry[3]. Perhaps most folks are coming directly from search engines;
> it just seems surprising that the Apache project doesn't feature such an
> important module more prominently.

[2] lists sub-projects of the ASF httpd project. mod_perl is a project on its
own and listed at the top level category [4]. We can't possibly be listed at
[2], since it reflects a hierarchy of the projects, and as you've found out
it's probably listed at [3]

[4] http://apache.org/

Re: mod_perl is "hidden" on main Apache website [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 04:16:31PM +0300, Stas Bekman wrote:
> [2] lists sub-projects of the ASF httpd project. mod_perl is a project on
> its own and listed at the top level category [4]. We can't possibly be
> listed at [2], since it reflects a hierarchy of the projects, and as you've
> found out it's probably listed at [3]

Thanks for the clarification Stas. I see now that I was on the
httpd.apache.org site, not the www.apache.org site. It's a big place!

William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.