Regards.

by

- Enrico
Re: [MP2] - New 3rd-party module ported (Apache::SessionManager) [ In reply to ]
Enrico Sorcinelli wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've finished porting of Apache::SessionManager to mod_perl 2 (1.99_11) and
> yesterday I've published it on CPAN.

great!

> So, I would wish to include it in ported 3rd-party modules list (I also attached
> patch to apache-modules.pod.orig).

Thanks, Enrico, committed.

Re: [MP2] - New 3rd-party module ported: Apache::GeoIP? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:19:10 -0800
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> wrote:

> Thanks, Enrico, committed.

Thanks :-)

In previous mail, I've forgotten to say that the list seems to be still
incomplete... :-)

Recently I've installed Randy's Apache::GeoIP module (1.215) that I used under
mp1, but seems to be mp2 compatible.

by

- Enrico

Re: [MP2] - New 3rd-party module ported: Apache::GeoIP? [ In reply to ]
Enrico Sorcinelli wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:19:10 -0800
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> wrote:
>

>>Thanks, Enrico, committed.
>

> Thanks :-)
>
> In previous mail, I've forgotten to say that the list seems to be still
> incomplete... :-)
>
> Recently I've installed Randy's Apache::GeoIP module (1.215) that I used under
> mp1, but seems to be mp2 compatible.

Can you please send a patch for other missing modules, including the first
version number they started to work with mp2 (I guess you need to check at the
Changes file). Thanks.

Re: [MP2] - New 3rd-party module ported: Apache::GeoIP? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 10:31:57 -0800
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> wrote:

> Can you please send a patch for other missing modules, including the first
> version number they started to work with mp2 (I guess you need to check at the
> Changes file). Thanks.

In reality, I dont know all mod_perl modules status, but with this simple
script:

---CUT HERE---
use CPAN;
use LWP::Simple qw(get);
foreach $dist ( CPAN::Shell->expand('Distribution','/Apache/') ) {
my $id = $dist->id;
$id =~ s/.*\/([^\/]+)\.t(ar\.)?gz$/$1/;
my $changes_url = 'http://search.cpan.org/src/' . $dist->cpan_userid . '/' . $id;
my $changes = get("$changes_url/Changes") || get("$changes_url/CHANGES") ;
if ( $changes =~ /(mod_?perl 1 and 2|both (versions of )?mod_?perl|(mp|mod_?perl)\s*\n*\s*(2|two|ii|1\.99))/i ) {
push(@mp2,$id);
}
}
---CUT HERE---

these modules seem to have some relationships with mod_perl 2:

Apache-DBI-0.92
Apache-ASP-2.55
MasonX-Request-WithApacheSession-0.24
Apache-SessionManager-1.00
Apache-Test-1.05
Apache-Test-1.06
Apache-Sybase-CTlib-2.00
Apache-PAR-0.30
Apache-GeoIP-1.215
Apache-AuthNetLDAP-0.26
Apache-AuthenNIS-0.11
Apache-AuthenPasswd-0.12
Apache-AuthenSmb-0.70
Apache-AuthzNIS-0.11
Apache-AuthzNetLDAP-0.07
Apache-Peek-1.01
Apache-AuthChecker-0.20

So, these modules are missing in perl.apache.org mp2 list:

Apache-DBI-0.92 (from 0.91)
Apache-ASP-2.55 (I'm not sure of porting status because it seems
to load Apache::compat)
Apache-Sybase-CTlib-2.00 (from 2.00)
Apache-PAR-0.30 (seems to be stable from 0.20)
Apache-GeoIP-1.215 (from beginning)
Apache-AuthChecker-0.20 (from 0.20)

For MasonX-Request-WithApacheSession-0.24, the question is: is Mason mod_perl 2
compliant?

I can run this check every week, and post the mod_perl status modules diff to
this list.

Some considerations:

1. No-mod_perl related modules live in the Apache::* namespace (Apache::Session,
Apache::Config, and so on)
2. mod_perl related modules doesn't live under Apache::* namespace (HTML::Mason,
libapreq)
3. The report is strictly tied to description in Changes distribution files

Obviously the script can be improved (for example by fetching README, by tuning
regex matching, etc).
But, in fact, we must annotate that currently there isn't a possibility to add
metadata info in order to tag a distribution as a mod_perl (1 or 2) module.
It would be nice... :-)

I noted some difference between my report and the site list. Why?

1) Apache::AuthExpire is in perl.apache.org list but not here.
But CPAN (1.7601) says:

cpan> m Apache::AuthExpire
Module id = Apache::AuthExpire
DESCRIPTION PerlAuthenHandler to implement time limits
CPAN_USERID JJHORNER (J. J. Horner <jjhorner@bellsouth.net>)
CPAN_VERSION 0.36
CPAN_FILE J/JJ/JJHORNER/Apache-AuthExpire-0.36.tar.gz
DSLI_STATUS bdpf (beta,developer,perl,functions)
INST_FILE (not installed)

instead of version 0.38

2) Apache::AuthPerLDAP - Again CPAN reports:

cpan> m Apache::AuthPerLDAP
Module id = Apache::AuthPerLDAP
DESCRIPTION LDAP authentication module (PerLDAP)
CPAN_USERID HENRIK (Henrik Strom <henrik@computer.org>)
CPAN_VERSION 0.5
CPAN_FILE H/HE/HENRIK/Apache-AuthPerLDAP-0.5.tar.gz
DSLI_STATUS bdpf (beta,developer,perl,functions)
INST_FILE (not installed)

instead of version 2.01

3) Apache::AuthzPasswd: the only infos I've found about mod_perl 2 are in
Makefile.PL... :-\

Notice that to avoid doubts about mirros problems, I also verified this infos
directly in http://www.cpan.org/modules/03modlist.data.gz

As final stats, we have approximately:

262 mod_perl modules (only in Apache::* namespace, of course)
21 ported modules (mp2 compliant without Apache::compat)
6 port in progress
0 mp2 only modules ?

It is the case to contact mod_perl modules authors in order to check their
intentions to port modules or porting status?

Sorry for this long post... :-)

by

- Enrico