Mailing List Archive

Re: cvs commit: modperl-docs/src/docs/2.0/user/handlers intro.pod protocols.pod
geoff@apache.org wrote:

> +=head2 PerlDefaultPortHandler
> +
> +Related to both the I<PerlProcessConnectionHandler> and the
> +I<PerlPreConnectionHandler> is the I<PerlDefaultPortHandler>,
> +whose sole purpose is to return an integer corresponding to the
> +default port for the protocol in question. The default port
> +will be used internally by Apache when generating self-referential
> +URLs and the port cannot be determined by other means (such as the
> +I<ServerName> or I<Host> header, or when I<UseCanonicalName> is
> +set to I<Off>).
> +
> +The I<PerlDefaultPortHandler> callback is not part of the request
> +cycle, and instead is called on demand whenever port related
> +API calls (such as I<get_server_port()>) fall through to the
> +default.

Any examples? I'm not so clear on why do I want to use it. Thanks.

Also since this is a generic protocols chapter, you need to explicitly say
'HTTP request cycle' when you talk about HTTP requests, and not just 'request
cycle', since protocols aren't necessarily HTTP. Same get_server_port is an
HTTP method, so probably using $r->get_server_port won't confuse readers that
will try to use that method outside the HTTP protocol. self-referential URLs
in non-HTTP protocols?

Therefore I'd suggest to have an HTTP-specific para:

For example if inside HTTP protocol ...

and perhaps give other ideas on how this is useful outside HTTP. If it has the
use only in HTTP, may be it should belong to that chapter then?

Also a xref from get_server_port's entry in 2.0/api/Apache/RequestUtil.pod
would be handy.

Thanks