Mailing List Archive

Re: [MP2 - BUG ?] Issue handing Apache config. error messages
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stas Bekman" <stas@stason.org>
To: "Issac Goldstand" <margol@beamartyr.net>

> Issac Goldstand wrote:
> > Looking at it now, I tend to agree... I just have a vague recollection
of
> > my first mod_perl 2 handler (Written only 2 weeks ago, though I dabbled
with
> > the C API 9 months ago, already) and reading it and playing with
httpd.conf
> > and overall being very confused.
>
> I've just committed the examples, hopefully they will appear online soon.
>
> > I'd consider having 2 guides written - a porting guide - yours is nice,
but
> > more as reference than as tutorial - and the second for newbies
(Starting
> > with mor_perl 2)... I'm toying with the idea of starting the porting
> > tutorial, but I want to make sure it's written well for clueless people
> > (which I probably still at least half count as :-)) and with accurate
> > content.
>
> porting or starting? We already have a porting guide:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/porting/porting.html
>
> a porting reference:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/porting/compat.html

Right - I read it, and it's reference. It's not a good guide. A guide
should start with the basics. The mp_1 guide is one of the most beautiful
pieces of electronic documentation in existance! It should be a book (I
know: practical mod_perl) Seriously though - the guide is what personally
turned me on to mod_perl, but the above two documents make me shiver and
stay the hell away from mp_2. What's needed is a good friendly piece of
documentation to get people moving... to mp_2

> and even getting started:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/intro/start_fast.html

Will look at it shortly - Let's not bite off more than we can chew in one
mouthful.

> I'd suggest to improve these docs where approapriate and start a new doc
only
> if it really doesn't fit into the existing docs.

I'm just not sure if it *does* fit...

Issac

Re: [MP2 - BUG ?] Issue handing Apache config. error messages [ In reply to ]
Issac Goldstand wrote:
[...]
> (Starting
>
>>>with mor_perl 2)... I'm toying with the idea of starting the porting
>>>tutorial, but I want to make sure it's written well for clueless people
>>>(which I probably still at least half count as :-)) and with accurate
>>>content.
>>
>>porting or starting? We already have a porting guide:
>>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/porting/porting.html
>>
>>a porting reference:
>>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/porting/compat.html
>>

> Right - I read it, and it's reference. It's not a good guide. A guide
> should start with the basics. The mp_1 guide is one of the most beautiful
> pieces of electronic documentation in existance! It should be a book (I
> know: practical mod_perl) Seriously though - the guide is what personally
> turned me on to mod_perl, but the above two documents make me shiver and
> stay the hell away from mp_2. What's needed is a good friendly piece of
> documentation to get people moving... to mp_2

Certainly. Just remember that the guide is 4 years old. The 2.0 docs are a few
months old. So all we need is to make it better.

>>and even getting started:
>>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/intro/start_fast.html
>

> Will look at it shortly - Let's not bite off more than we can chew in one
> mouthful.
>

>>I'd suggest to improve these docs where approapriate and start a new doc
>
> only
>
>>if it really doesn't fit into the existing docs.
>

> I'm just not sure if it *does* fit...

Let's see what you come up with and we can decides whether it fits or not. The
idea is to avoid forks and have people collaborate on the single best source
of documentation, rather than private projects. Private projects could be
good, but given the complexity of mod_perl, having a good single source of
documentation is a great boon for its acceptance.