Mailing List Archive

Content not sent to browser from Windows based Apache::ASP scripts
Dear fellow developers,

We are currently trying to port our collection of Apache::ASP scripts
from linux/apache to win2K/apache (Why? That's for another thread!).
On linux, everything runs just fine; when run under windows, scripts
execute successfully (ie: HTTP 200, correct debugging info is sent to
logs, etc), but instead of receiving the expected script-generated
client browser.

Dumping the contents of the $Response object to the apache error_log
(by performing a Data::Dumper::Dumper($Response) inside the sub
Script_OnEnd in global.asa) shows that the expected content is
generated within the object - it just never makes it to the client
browser. There is nothing in the server logs that indicates anything
untoward has happened - only the expected script debugging output is
seen. This behaviour is observed even for "hello world"-level ASP
scripts.

Our http.conf has the following (.psp is our "clever" file naming
convention):

PerlModule Apache::ASP
<Files ~ \.psp>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler Apache::ASP
PerlSetVar Global c:\www\webroot\web\lib
PerlSetVar StateDir c:\www\tmp
PerlSetVar RequestParams 1
PerlSetVar UseStrict 1
</Files>

We are using Apache::ASP version 2.55, and the devside v1.14
(http://www.devside.net/) builds of apache/mod_perl (Apache 2.0.52,
mod_perl
1.99_18).

On another point. We're very happy with DevSide's Apache/MySQL/Perl
server
suite, but just wish it had Apache::ASP configured/loaded as standard.
Does anyone know of an alternative that does this?
I'd rather waste my time coding than configuring boxes!!!

Cheers

Steve

Content not sent to browser from Windows based Apache::ASP scripts [ In reply to ]
Dear fellow developers,

We are currently trying to port our collection of Apache::ASP scripts from
linux/apache to win2K/apache. On linux, everything runs just fine; when run
under windows, scripts execute successfully (ie: HTTP 200, correct debugging
info is sent to logs, etc), but instead of receiving the expected
received in the client browser. Dumping the contents of the $Response object
[...]

If responding, please CC sgarlinge@lyntonsurveys.com.au .

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Steve Garlinge
Re: Content not sent to browser from Windows based Apache::ASP scripts [ In reply to ]
lyntonsurveys007 wrote:
> We are using Apache::ASP version 2.55, and the devside v1.14
> (http://www.devside.net/) builds of apache/mod_perl (Apache 2.0.52,
> mod_perl
> 1.99_18).

Try recent versions of Apache::ASP & mod_perl, and maybe this will work
for you. There was some version collisions between the 2 before.

> On another point. We're very happy with DevSide's Apache/MySQL/Perl
> server
> suite, but just wish it had Apache::ASP configured/loaded as standard.
> Does anyone know of an alternative that does this?
> I'd rather waste my time coding than configuring boxes!!!

If you have only a few scripts, then you might try to run them as CGI
scripts under asp-perl program. You might also script your own build
process like I have done in the past to take various sources and
build them all in one go scripting with bash.

See here for the CGI execution ability (much slower)...
http://apache-asp.org/cgi.html#Standalone%20Cbddd74cc

Regards,

Josh