We are monitoring apache performance with strace, in order to check statScripts
configuration parameter is working.
We've checked that setting this parameter to 0, changes to the ASP's are not (correctly) refreshed.
However, looking into strace log we find that stat and open system calls are made for every ASP.
Is this performance normal?
Thanks in advanced.
Best regards.

---------------------------------
Re: StatScripts parameter [ In reply to ]
Fer madrid wrote:
> Hi all
> We are monitoring apache performance with strace, in order to check
> statScripts
> configuration parameter is working.
> We've checked that setting this parameter to 0, changes to the ASP's are
> not (correctly) refreshed.
> However, looking into strace log we find that stat and open system calls
> are made for every ASP.
> Is this performance normal?
> Thanks in advanced.
> Best regards.

Right, setting StatScripts to Off or 0 can have the changes not load,
which precisely the point. Then you would see the stat() call not
happening, but note that this happens on a *per process* basis, so
depending how many processes you have running, it might take a while
to see the stat calls stop.

Regards,

Josh

Re: StatScripts parameter [ In reply to ]
Hi Josh,
Yes, we noticed that setting StatScripts to 0 the stat() call decreases and the changes are not rendered by the modified ASPs.
However, we don't get a better CPU performance. Is this correct?
Our configuration of httpd.conf file is shown next:
<Directory /ASP_directory/>
AllowOverride None
AuthType Basic
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
Satisfy any
</Directory>

<Files ~ (\.asp)>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler Apache::ASP
PerlSetVar Global /configuration_files_directory/
PerlSetVar GlobalPackage GLOBAL
PerlSetVar Debug 0
PerlSetVar TimeHiRes 1
PerlSetVar CookiePath /
PerlSetVar DynamicIncludes 0
PerlSetVar StateDB MLDBM::Sync::SDBM_File
PerlSetVar SessionTimeout 50
PerlSetVar UseStrict 1
PerlSetVar StateSerializer Storable
PerlSetVar SessionSerialize 1
PerlSetVar StatINC 0
PerlSetVar StatScripts 0
PerlFixupHandler STL::SAPI::Util::Timeit
PerlInitHandler TimeIt::Init
PerlLogHandler TimeIt::Log
</Files>

And our configuration of Loader() method in startup.pl file is shown next:
Apache::ASP->Loader(
'/configuration_files_directory/global.asa','',
Global => '/configuration_files_directory/',
GlobalPackage => 'GLOBAL',
Debug => 0,
TimeHiRes => 1,
CookiePath => '/',
DynamicIncludes => 0,
StateDB => 'MLDBM::Sync::SDBM_File',
SessionTimeout => 50,
UseStrict => 1,
StateSerializer => 'Storable',
SessionSerialize => 1,
StatINC => 0,
StatScripts => 0
);

Apache::ASP->Loader(
'/ASP_directory/', "(asp)\$",
Global => '/configuration_files_directory/',
GlobalPackage => 'GLOBAL',
Debug => 0,
TimeHiRes => 1,
CookiePath => '/',
DynamicIncludes => 0,
StateDB => 'MLDBM::Sync::SDBM_File',
SessionTimeout => 50,
UseStrict => 1,
StateSerializer => 'Storable',
SessionSerialize => 1,
StatINC => 0,
StatScripts => 0
);

We had observed that size of session object is around 25K. Is correct our configuraction?
Thanks in advance
Regards

Re: StatScripts parameter [ In reply to ]
Fer madrid wrote:
> Hi Josh,
> Yes, we noticed that setting StatScripts to 0 the stat() call decreases
> and the changes are not rendered by the modified ASPs.
> However, we don't get a better CPU performance. Is this correct?

StatScripts should give you some better performance, but this may not
be much compared to other things, so might be hard to notice.

> <Files ~ (\.asp)>
> SetHandler perl-script
> PerlHandler Apache::ASP
> PerlSetVar Global /configuration_files_directory/
> PerlSetVar GlobalPackage GLOBAL
> PerlSetVar Debug 0
> PerlSetVar TimeHiRes 1

Your config looks fine at a glance, but you might also run your set up
in Debug -3 mode, and see how the behavior is in the error_log when running
a request for the first time after Apache start up. If there is any compiling
going on, then your loader settings are not quite right, and are not picking
up everything you want them to be.

> We had observed that size of session object is around 25K. Is correct
> our configuraction?

Session data that large might be better off set as DB_File or GDBM_File.

Regards,

Josh