Mailing List Archive

draft of press release
Okay, this is what I have so far. Keep in mind that is targeted at
quasi-technical publications like InfoWorld as well as geekier ones like
Linux Journal. I made up a quote from one of us because I'm told that's
a good thing to have early in the text, and I attributed it to Geoff
because I think he's away right now and won't be able to complain about
it.

Go ahead and rip it to shreds. I'm going to pass it around to some
friends who have more public relations experience as well, and I believe
I need to get some ASF press relations people to look it over.

- Perrin

Apache Software Foundation Releases mod_perl 2.0, Bringing Full Apache 2
API to Perl Developers

http://perl.apache.org/, May 23 - The Apache Software Foundation and The
Apache Perl Project are pleased to announce the release of mod_perl
version 2.0. With this release, it is now possible to write Apache 2 web
server modules entirely in Perl, bringing a powerful mix of rapid
development and high-performance to web applications. “We're really
pleased with the amount of new Apache 2 functionality we are able to
provide to perl developers in mod_perl 2,” said Geoffrey Young, one of
the leaders of the project.

The mod_perl project brings together the full power of the Perl
programming language and the Apache web server, two of the greatest
success stories in open source software. By exposing the Apache 2 API
from Perl, mod_perl 2 offers a level of access and flexibility not
available in other high-level web development solutions. More than just
an accelerator for CGI scripts, mod_perl is a whole new way to create
dynamic content by utilizing the full power of the Apache web server to
create stateful sessions, customized user authentication systems, smart
proxies and much more.

Prominent new features in mod_perl 2.0 include:

* I/O Filtering API which allows chaining of different
content generation tools (PHP, server-side includes) and
post-processing of dynamic content for compression,
automatic linking, etc.

* New Apache::Test testing framework for automated testing
of server modules and applications.

* Extensible high-speed HTTP request parsing library,
libapreq2, already in use by other Apache 2 modules.

* Easy access to Apache configuration information from
Perl.

* Configurable multi-threaded operation, vastly improving
scalability in Microsoft Windows environments.

* Protocol modules can replace the server's core HTTP
implementation with alternatives like SMTP, FTP, or even
totally custom protocols, turning Apache 2 into a
powerful toolkit for building customized server
applications.

E- mail security company MailChannels (http://www.mailchannels.com/) has
been using the new protocol modules feature in mod_perl 2.0 to build
mail proxies in their assured delivery products. “For us, there really
was no other viable alternative,” said Ken Simpson, CEO. MailChannels
chose the mod_perl platform to develop on for “the reliability,
portability, and scalability of Apache.”

This release has received extensive testing, both from automated tests
built with the new Apache::Test framework and from users. The
scalability of mod_perl as a web-development platform is well-
established, with major companies like Ticketmaster
(http://www.ticketmaster.com/) doing billions of dollars of business on
it yearly. Performance compares favorably with PHP and Java solutions in
benchmarks and users routinely report speed improvements of 300% or more
just from porting perl CGI applications to mod_perl. Internet
advertising company WhenU (http://www.whenu.com/) delivers more than
twelve million dynamic pages per day with mod_perl.

Because the project is open source and free to participate in, many
modules compatible with mod_perl 2.0 are already available. In addition,
Perl brings it's famously extensive CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive
Network) to the table, putting libraries for database interaction, XML
manipulation, HTML templating, and everything else developers need to
build modern web sites at their fingertips.

For more information, visit the mod_perl web site at
http://perl.apache.org/.

About the Apache Software Foundation:
The Apache Software Foundation provides organizational, legal, and
financial support for the Apache open-source software projects. Formerly
known as the Apache Group, the Foundation incorporated as a membership-
based, not-for-profit corporation to ensure that the Apache projects
continue to exist beyond the participation of individual volunteers, to
enable contributions of intellectual property and financial support, and
to provide a vehicle for limiting legal exposure while participating in
open-source projects. For more information on the Apache Software
Foundation, please see www.apache.org.

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> Okay, this is what I have so far. Keep in mind that is targeted at
> quasi-technical publications like InfoWorld as well as geekier ones like
> Linux Journal. I made up a quote from one of us because I'm told that's
> a good thing to have early in the text, and I attributed it to Geoff
> because I think he's away right now and won't be able to complain about
> it.

Actually, I think he just got back recently, so beware ;-)

> Go ahead and rip it to shreds. I'm going to pass it around to some
> friends who have more public relations experience as well, and I believe
> I need to get some ASF press relations people to look it over.
>
> - Perrin
>
> Apache Software Foundation Releases mod_perl 2.0, Bringing Full Apache 2
> API to Perl Developers

Should we call this mod_perl 2.0 or more precisely mod_perl 2.0.0 ?

> http://perl.apache.org/, May 23 - The Apache Software Foundation and The
> Apache Perl Project are pleased to announce the release of mod_perl
> version 2.0. With this release, it is now possible to write Apache 2 web
> server modules entirely in Perl, bringing a powerful mix of rapid
> development and high-performance to web applications. “We're really
> pleased with the amount of new Apache 2 functionality we are able to
> provide to perl developers in mod_perl 2,” said Geoffrey Young, one of
> the leaders of the project.
>
> The mod_perl project brings together the full power of the Perl
> programming language and the Apache web server, two of the greatest
> success stories in open source software. By exposing the Apache 2 API
> from Perl, mod_perl 2 offers a level of access and flexibility not
> available in other high-level web development solutions. More than just
> an accelerator for CGI scripts, mod_perl is a whole new way to create
> dynamic content by utilizing the full power of the Apache web server to
> create stateful sessions, customized user authentication systems, smart
> proxies and much more.

I'd try and mention something about APR as well in there. Not too much,
but some.

> Prominent new features in mod_perl 2.0 include:
>
> * I/O Filtering API which allows chaining of different
> content generation tools (PHP, server-side includes) and
> post-processing of dynamic content for compression,
> automatic linking, etc.
>
> * New Apache::Test testing framework for automated testing
> of server modules and applications.
>
> * Extensible high-speed HTTP request parsing library,
> libapreq2, already in use by other Apache 2 modules.

libapreq isn't strictly speaking part of mod_perl 2.0. I'd point to
apreq and note here that the latest libapreq takes advantages
of all that mod_perl 2.0 has to offer. "libapreq2 works hand in hand with
mod_perl 2.0 to provide high-speed HTTP request parsing..."

> * Easy access to Apache configuration information from
> Perl.

Even easier access to...

> * Configurable multi-threaded operation, vastly improving
> scalability in Microsoft Windows environments.

And offering long sought after Perl module isolation between server instances
for ISPs , staging vs. prod servers, multiple developers, ... (multiple Perl
interps blabla)

> * Protocol modules can replace the server's core HTTP
> implementation with alternatives like SMTP, FTP, or even
> totally custom protocols, turning Apache 2 into a
> powerful toolkit for building customized server
> applications.

* Even more modular/configurable CGI acceleration modes (the new
ModPerl::RegistryCooker stuff)

> E- mail security company MailChannels (http://www.mailchannels.com/) has
> been using the new protocol modules feature in mod_perl 2.0 to build
> mail proxies in their assured delivery products. “For us, there really
> was no other viable alternative,” said Ken Simpson, CEO. MailChannels
> chose the mod_perl platform to develop on for “the reliability,
> portability, and scalability of Apache.”

Double-check with Ken Simpson on that quote ?

> This release has received extensive testing, both from automated tests
> built with the new Apache::Test framework and from users.

mod_perl's test suite now includes over more than 2500 individual functionnal
tests, compared to mod_perl 1's modest 400 ...

> The
> scalability of mod_perl as a web-development platform is well-
> established, with major companies like Ticketmaster
> (http://www.ticketmaster.com/) doing billions of dollars of business on
> it yearly. Performance compares favorably with PHP and Java solutions in
> benchmarks and users routinely report speed improvements of 300% or more
> just from porting perl CGI applications to mod_perl. Internet
> advertising company WhenU (http://www.whenu.com/) delivers more than
> twelve million dynamic pages per day with mod_perl.
>
> Because the project is open source and free to participate in, many
> modules compatible with mod_perl 2.0 are already available. In addition,
> Perl brings it's famously extensive CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive
> Network) to the table, putting libraries for database interaction, XML
> manipulation, HTML templating, and everything else developers need to
> build modern web sites at their fingertips.
>
> For more information, visit the mod_perl web site at
> http://perl.apache.org/.
>
> About the Apache Software Foundation:
> The Apache Software Foundation provides organizational, legal, and
> financial support for the Apache open-source software projects. Formerly
> known as the Apache Group, the Foundation incorporated as a membership-
> based, not-for-profit corporation to ensure that the Apache projects
> continue to exist beyond the participation of individual volunteers, to
> enable contributions of intellectual property and financial support, and
> to provide a vehicle for limiting legal exposure while participating in
> open-source projects. For more information on the Apache Software
> Foundation, please see www.apache.org.

I like it ;-) Thanks Perrin!

One thing I'd like to see too is
http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/ F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107 88C3A5A5
Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> Okay, this is what I have so far. Keep in mind that is targeted at
> quasi-technical publications like InfoWorld as well as geekier ones like
> Linux Journal. I made up a quote from one of us because I'm told that's
> a good thing to have early in the text, and I attributed it to Geoff
> because I think he's away right now and won't be able to complain about
> it.
>
> Go ahead and rip it to shreds. I'm going to pass it around to some
> friends who have more public relations experience as well, and I believe
> I need to get some ASF press relations people to look it over.
>
> - Perrin
>
> Apache Software Foundation Releases mod_perl 2.0, Bringing Full Apache 2
> API to Perl Developers

That's misleading as we aren't bringing the *Full* API. Let's drop the
word 'Full'.

Bringing Apache 2 API to Perl Developers

> http://perl.apache.org/, May 23 - The Apache Software Foundation and The
> Apache Perl Project are pleased to announce the release of mod_perl
> version 2.0. With this release, it is now possible to write Apache 2 web
> server modules entirely in Perl, bringing a powerful mix of rapid
> development and high-performance to web applications. “We're really
> pleased with the amount of new Apache 2 functionality we are able to
> provide to perl developers in mod_perl 2,” said Geoffrey Young, one of
> the leaders of the project.

s/perl/Perl/

> The mod_perl project brings together the full power of the Perl
> programming language and the Apache web server, two of the greatest
> success stories in open source software. By exposing the Apache 2 API
> from Perl, mod_perl 2 offers a level of access and flexibility not
> available in other high-level web development solutions. More than just
> an accelerator for CGI scripts, mod_perl is a whole new way to create
> dynamic content by utilizing the full power of the Apache web server to
> create stateful sessions, customized user authentication systems, smart
> proxies and much more.

I'd also mention the important: implement protocols and write filters

> Prominent new features in mod_perl 2.0 include:
>

> * I/O Filtering API which allows chaining of different
> content generation tools (PHP, server-side includes) and
> post-processing of dynamic content for compression,
> automatic linking, etc.

should mention that input can be filtered as well.

> * New Apache::Test testing framework for automated testing
> of server modules and applications.

s/testing/live testing/

> * Extensible high-speed HTTP request parsing library,
> libapreq2, already in use by other Apache 2 modules.

does it really belong here? and neither released, nor a part of the
mod_perl project. I certainly all for mentioning it, but the message must
not be misleading.

> * Easy access to Apache configuration information from
> Perl.

not only access, but also creation.

> * Configurable multi-threaded operation, vastly improving
> scalability in Microsoft Windows environments.

grr, I won't say that. perl has too many problems with threads. I'd just
say a more vague: vastly improved support for windows env.

> * Protocol modules can replace the server's core HTTP
> implementation with alternatives like SMTP, FTP, or even
> totally custom protocols, turning Apache 2 into a
> powerful toolkit for building customized server
> applications.

Why "replace", and not "extend"? may be?

Extend Apache by easily implementing standard (SMTP, FTP, POP3, etc.) and
custom protocols, turning Apache 2 into a powerful toolkit for building
customized server applications.

> E- mail security company MailChannels (http://www.mailchannels.com/) has
> been using the new protocol modules feature in mod_perl 2.0 to build
> mail proxies in their assured delivery products. “For us, there really
> was no other viable alternative,” said Ken Simpson, CEO. MailChannels
> chose the mod_perl platform to develop on for “the reliability,
> portability, and scalability of Apache.”
>
> This release has received extensive testing, both from automated tests
> built with the new Apache::Test framework and from users. The
> scalability of mod_perl as a web-development platform is well-
> established, with major companies like Ticketmaster
> (http://www.ticketmaster.com/) doing billions of dollars of business on
> it yearly. Performance compares favorably with PHP and Java solutions in
> benchmarks and users routinely report speed improvements of 300% or more
> just from porting perl CGI applications to mod_perl. Internet
> advertising company WhenU (http://www.whenu.com/) delivers more than
> twelve million dynamic pages per day with mod_perl.

May be add a long list of companies using mod_perl? some names from our
site and more from http://www.masonhq.com/?MasonPoweredSites ?

> Because the project is open source and free to participate in, many
> modules compatible with mod_perl 2.0 are already available. In addition,
> Perl brings it's famously extensive CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive
> Network) to the table, putting libraries for database interaction, XML
> manipulation, HTML templating, and everything else developers need to
> build modern web sites at their fingertips.
>
> For more information, visit the mod_perl web site at
> http://perl.apache.org/.
>

> About the Apache Software Foundation:
> The Apache Software Foundation provides organizational, legal, and
> financial support for the Apache open-source software projects. Formerly
> known as the Apache Group, the Foundation incorporated as a membership-
> based, not-for-profit corporation to ensure that the Apache projects
> continue to exist beyond the participation of individual volunteers, to
> enable contributions of intellectual property and financial support, and
> to provide a vehicle for limiting legal exposure while participating in
> open-source projects. For more information on the Apache Software
> Foundation, please see www.apache.org.

Perrin++!

Thanks for doing this work, Perrin!

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:

>>Apache Software Foundation Releases mod_perl 2.0, Bringing Full Apache 2
>>API to Perl Developers
>

> Should we call this mod_perl 2.0 or more precisely mod_perl 2.0.0 ?

2.0 is perfect.

> I'd try and mention something about APR as well in there. Not too much,
> but some.

Hmm, yes, but that might be confusing. It allows you to run apps outside
Apache :)

>>This release has received extensive testing, both from automated tests
>>built with the new Apache::Test framework and from users.
>

> mod_perl's test suite now includes over more than 2500 individual functionnal
> tests, compared to mod_perl 1's modest 400 ...

drop the mp1 comparison. just keep the first half

> One thing I'd like to see too is

is? end of transmission?

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 23 May 2005 02:49:07 -0400
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> wrote:

> Perrin++!
>
> Thanks for doing this work, Perrin!

I agree with the the comments so far and just wanted to say thanks
for putting it together. It looks great. Perrin++!

Other than the docs I noticed we don't seem to have any mp2 articles
listed on http://perl.apache.org/docs/offsite/articles.html. I
wrote a short article for SysAdmin that I have up on one of my sites
at http://revsys.com/writings/modperl.html.

Once I rewrite it to work with API changes in 2.0 should I put it
on the articles page?

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
My $0.0244 CND, consisting of tiny suggestions follows.

On May 23 Perrin Harkins wrote:

> With this release, it is now possible to write Apache 2 web server
> modules entirely in Perl, bringing a powerful mix of rapid development
> and high-performance to web applications.

Consider the slightly less passive variation:

With this release, writing Apache 2 web server modules entirely in Perl is
possible, bringing a powerful mix of rapid development and
high-performance to web applications.

> By exposing the Apache 2 API from Perl, mod_perl 2 offers a level of
> access and flexibility not available in other high-level web development
> solutions.

By exposing the Apache 2 API to Perl, ...

Or maybe

By accessing the Apache 2 API from Perl, ...

> Prominent new features in mod_perl 2.0 include:

Consider deleting "new" or replacing with altering to "Prominent new or
improved features..."

Some of the features, if I understand things correctly, don't seem so new,
like Apache::Test and accessing Apache configuration from Perl.

> * New Apache::Test testing framework for automated testing
> of server modules and applications.
>
> * Easy access to Apache configuration information from Perl.

Jim

perl -MDigest::MD5 -e 'for (split( /e/ ,Digest::MD5->md5_hex(qq(JAPA)))){
print map chr($_), ($_*10-6,$_ * $_ + 1,10*$_,$_ + 57 ) ;last};'

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:

>Perrin Harkins wrote:
>

>>Okay, this is what I have so far. Keep in mind that is targeted at
>>quasi-technical publications like InfoWorld as well as geekier ones like
>>Linux Journal. I made up a quote from one of us because I'm told that's
>>a good thing to have early in the text, and I attributed it to Geoff
>>because I think he's away right now and won't be able to complain about
>>it.

I like it as well. Congrats all.

What doesn't kill us, can only make us stronger.
Nothing is impossible.

http://www.liquidityservicesinc.com

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
On Monday 23 May 2005 2:45 am, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> I'd try and mention something about APR as well in there. Not too much,
> but some.

Can you give me a couple of sentences to work with?

> > * Easy access to Apache configuration information from
> > Perl.
>
> Even easier access to...

Didn't it kind of suck in mp1? You had to do tricks if you wanted to keep the
data. I suppose it's a minor point though.

> > * Configurable multi-threaded operation, vastly improving
> > scalability in Microsoft Windows environments.
>
> And offering long sought after Perl module isolation between server
> instances for ISPs , staging vs. prod servers, multiple developers, ...
> (multiple Perl interps blabla)

Are you talking about separate pools of interpreters perl vhost? Is that
really working?

- Perrin

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
On Monday 23 May 2005 2:49 am, Stas Bekman wrote:
> should mention that input can be filtered as well.

What's a good example application for that?

> > * Extensible high-speed HTTP request parsing library,
> > libapreq2, already in use by other Apache 2 modules.
>
> does it really belong here?

I only included it because I had an old e-mail from you asking me to. I'll
take it out.

> > * Configurable multi-threaded operation, vastly improving
> > scalability in Microsoft Windows environments.
>
> grr, I won't say that. perl has too many problems with threads. I'd just
> say a more vague: vastly improved support for windows env.

I'll change that, and include a Windows success story from Jacqui Caren to
supplement.

> May be add a long list of companies using mod_perl? some names from our
> site and more from http://www.masonhq.com/?MasonPoweredSites ?

I don't want to make a long list out of it because it could start to sound
desperate, but a few more might fit.

- Perrin

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
On Monday 23 May 2005 10:03 am, Frank Wiles wrote:
> Other than the docs I noticed we don't seem to have any mp2 articles
> listed on http://perl.apache.org/docs/offsite/articles.html. I
> wrote a short article for SysAdmin that I have up on one of my sites
> at http://revsys.com/writings/modperl.html.
>
> Once I rewrite it to work with API changes in 2.0 should I put it
> on the articles page?

I say put it up now.

- Perrin

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
On Monday 23 May 2005 11:05 am, Jim Martinez wrote:
> Consider deleting "new" or replacing with altering to "Prominent new or
> improved features..."
>
> Some of the features, if I understand things correctly, don't seem so new,
> like Apache::Test and accessing Apache configuration from Perl.

Those are new. In mp1 you had to jump through a lot of hoops to access the
full config data after the parsing phase.

- Perrin

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
Perrin, one more thing you may want to mention. Quoting Robert Spier:

qpsmtpd (qmail-perl-smtpd, which really doesn't have much to do with
qmail anymore) http://qpsmtpd.develooper.com/ contains a mod_perl 2
backend -- not for HTTP -- but to do SMTP. Apache 2 was
re-architected to be more protocol agnostic - so you can use it for
almost any connection based protocol.

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Monday 23 May 2005 2:49 am, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>should mention that input can be filtered as well.
>

> What's a good example application for that?

I'm not aware of one in perl, but ssl is implemented as an input filter.
But may be just mentioning will be fine.

>>> * Extensible high-speed HTTP request parsing library,
>>> libapreq2, already in use by other Apache 2 modules.
>>
>>does it really belong here?
>

> I only included it because I had an old e-mail from you asking me to. I'll
> take it out.

Hmm, I'm very inconsistent, am I? :)

Let's ask Joe. Joe, what do you think, should we announce libapreq as a
part of mod_perl 2.0 press release? To me the main obstacle is that it is
not released yet.

>>May be add a long list of companies using mod_perl? some names from our
>>site and more from http://www.masonhq.com/?MasonPoweredSites ?
>

> I don't want to make a long list out of it because it could start to sound
> desperate, but a few more might fit.

+1

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
On Monday 23 May 2005 1:43 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Perrin, one more thing you may want to mention. Quoting Robert Spier:
>
> qpsmtpd (qmail-perl-smtpd, which really doesn't have much to do with
> qmail anymore) http://qpsmtpd.develooper.com/ contains a mod_perl 2
> backend -- not for HTTP -- but to do SMTP. Apache 2 was
> re-architected to be more protocol agnostic - so you can use it for
> almost any connection based protocol.

I know about that one, but I thought the MailChannels story was better.

- Perrin

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
Perrin Harkins wrote:

>Are you talking about separate pools of interpreters perl vhost? Is that
>really working?

I donn't think is works yet as this need will use the perlchild MPM which
isn't finished and isn't currently being actively developed by httpd.

--
END

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Perrin Harkins wrote:
>
>> Are you talking about separate pools of interpreters perl vhost? Is
>> that really working?
>>

> I donn't think is works yet as this need will use the perlchild MPM which
> isn't finished and isn't currently being actively developed by httpd.

Not quite. It does "work" even with the prefork mpm. But there are issues.

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

> Let's ask Joe. Joe, what do you think, should we announce libapreq as
> a part of mod_perl 2.0 press release? To me the main obstacle is that
> it is not released yet.

I don't see the harm in including it. libapreq2 is beta-quality now,
people are already using it, and I expect an official 2.06 release
to emerge sometime in (early) June.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>Let's ask Joe. Joe, what do you think, should we announce libapreq as
>>a part of mod_perl 2.0 press release? To me the main obstacle is that
>>it is not released yet.
>

> I don't see the harm in including it. libapreq2 is beta-quality now,
> people are already using it, and I expect an official 2.06 release
> to emerge sometime in (early) June.

In which case go for it Perrin.

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 01:24:04PM -0400, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Monday 23 May 2005 2:49 am, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > should mention that input can be filtered as well.
>
> What's a good example application for that?

We have a new traffic shaper we'll be releasing shortly that uses
input filters. If someone (hint hint YAPC::EU) accepts my talk on it we're
hoping to talk more about it. It should be on CPAN fairly shortly as well.

will

Sent by MailChannels: http://www.mailchannels.com

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Monday 23 May 2005 1:43 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Perrin, one more thing you may want to mention. Quoting Robert Spier:
>>
>>qpsmtpd (qmail-perl-smtpd, which really doesn't have much to do with
>>qmail anymore) http://qpsmtpd.develooper.com/ contains a mod_perl 2
>>backend -- not for HTTP -- but to do SMTP. Apache 2 was
>>re-architected to be more protocol agnostic - so you can use it for
>>almost any connection based protocol.
>
> I know about that one, but I thought the MailChannels story was better.

Why not stick this draft in subversion somewhere in docs/ so we can more easily
submit diffs and make trivial edits to it ?

http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/ F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107 88C3A5A5
Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>
>>> Apache Software Foundation Releases mod_perl 2.0, Bringing Full Apache 2
>>> API to Perl Developers
>>

>> Should we call this mod_perl 2.0 or more precisely mod_perl 2.0.0 ?
>

> 2.0 is perfect.
>
>> I'd try and mention something about APR as well in there. Not too much,
>> but some.
>

> Hmm, yes, but that might be confusing. It allows you to run apps outside
> Apache :)
>
>>> This release has received extensive testing, both from automated tests
>>> built with the new Apache::Test framework and from users.
>>

>> mod_perl's test suite now includes over more than 2500 individual
>> functionnal
>> tests, compared to mod_perl 1's modest 400 ...
>

> drop the mp1 comparison. just keep the first half
>
>> One thing I'd like to see too is
>
> is? end of transmission?

Either I forgot to finish my sentence, or my mail server ate my mail ;-(

I meant to say :

One thing I'd like to say is a shorter, one-two paragraph summary of this
as well, that's all.

http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/ F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107 88C3A5A5
Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 17:45 +0800, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Why not stick this draft in subversion somewhere in docs/ so we can more easily
> submit diffs and make trivial edits to it ?

It's now in modperl-docs/work_in_progress/press_release.txt. I'm
working through the suggested changes.

- Perrin

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 14:20 -0400, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> > Perrin Harkins wrote:
> >
> >> Are you talking about separate pools of interpreters perl vhost? Is
> >> that really working?
> >>

> > I donn't think is works yet as this need will use the perlchild MPM which
> > isn't finished and isn't currently being actively developed by httpd.
>
> Not quite. It does "work" even with the prefork mpm. But there are issues.

If I say something like "Improved isolation of servers for easier use in
ISPs" is that overstating it? My concern is that an ISP would ask us
about this after seeing the release and we'd look foolish saying, "well,
it doesn't really work well enough to use yet."

- Perrin

Re: draft of press release [ In reply to ]
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 14:20 -0400, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

>>>I donn't think is works yet as this need will use the perlchild MPM which
>>>isn't finished and isn't currently being actively developed by httpd.
>>
>>Not quite. It does "work" even with the prefork mpm. But there are issues.
>

> If I say something like "Improved isolation of servers for easier use in
> ISPs" is that overstating it? My concern is that an ISP would ask us
> about this after seeing the release and we'd look foolish saying, "well,
> it doesn't really work well enough to use yet."

Separate pools of interpreters per vhost work, but it has no relation to
the ISPs whose problem is a secure separation between users. But perchild
(and its equivalents) aren't there yet, though it has nothing to do with
mod_perl (it's on the apache playground). Though I've heard that metux
mpm[1] is used by some people in production. I haven't tried it, so I
can't tell if it works under mod_perl.

[1] http://www.metux.de/mpm/en/?patpage=