Mailing List Archive

advocacy: J2EE: no longer required - Loosely Coupled weblog, Nov 18th 2004 10:20am
For those seeking mod_perl advocacy bits. Spotted this on /.org today:

http://www.looselycoupled.com/blog/lc00aa00074.html

That entry mainly suggests LAMP to scale better than J2EE using a grid of
cheap PCs, à là Google/Amazon style.

It links to the detailed articles:

http://peteryared.blogspot.com/2003/09/next-language.html
http://peteryared.blogspot.com/2003/09/application-servers-2004-big-muffin-in.html
http://www.activegrid.com/news/pressrelease-111704.php

Re: advocacy: J2EE: no longer required - Loosely Coupled weblog, Nov 18th 2004 10:20am [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 10:20, Stas Bekman wrote:
> For those seeking mod_perl advocacy bits. Spotted this on /.org today:
>
> http://www.looselycoupled.com/blog/lc00aa00074.html
>
> That entry mainly suggests LAMP to scale better than J2EE using a grid of
> cheap PCs, à là Google/Amazon style.
>
> It links to the detailed articles:
>
> http://peteryared.blogspot.com/2003/09/next-language.html
> http://peteryared.blogspot.com/2003/09/application-servers-2004-big-muffin-in.html
> http://www.activegrid.com/news/pressrelease-111704.php

I'm all for picking on bloated J2EE app servers, but this is a pretty
silly article. I'm not going to get too far into it here, but I think
I'll write something about it on my use.perl.org journal. The main
problem with the "ActiveGrid" system this company is promoting is that
scaling web apps to multiple machines is a solved problem, at least in
terms of basic load-balancing and failover stuff. The hard part is
shared data, which they are not addressing from what I can see.

- Perrin