Mailing List Archive

Call for help with mod_perl advocacy !
As some people might now, OSCon (http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2004/)
has just finished, and there was a mod_perl PR BOF were a bunch of mod_perl people
gathered around and discussed mod_perl PR and advocacy.

mod_perl is coming closer and closer to a 2.0 release (really soon now (tm))
and there was a lot of conversation about how we can insure that is comes
out with a big bang! We all agreed that there were a lot of things that could
be done to amplify the impact of mod_perl and increase our visibility and
user base.

Some of you might not have noticed, but take a look at the mod_perl usage
statistics, and you'll notice that they don't look as good as they used to
be.

http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/stats/netcraft.html
http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/stats/securityspace.html

So, we decided to revive the advocacy@perl.apache.org list, and use it
as a focal point for all the future efforts in making mod_perl more widely
known and used.

So, if you are interested in helping out, or if you just want to know what
is going on, please join us here :

And you can get at the archive here :
http://perl.apache.org/maillist/advocacy.html#Searchable_Archives

Since there are no official minutes from the BOF, I'd encourage people that
were there and had interesting ideas to repeat those ideas on the advocacy
list in a little while (giving people time to subscribe to the list), and re-ignite
discussion there.

Another way to be helpfull, is to send out success stories. If your company is
running mod_perl and loves it, get us the story.

http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/sites.html
http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/success_stories/index.html

http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/ F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107 88C3A5A5

http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/ F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107 88C3A5A5
Re: Call for help with mod_perl advocacy ! [ In reply to ]
On Monday 02 August 2004 11:24 am, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Since there are no official minutes from the BOF, I'd encourage people that
> were there and had interesting ideas to repeat those ideas on the advocacy
> list in a little while (giving people time to subscribe to the list), and
> re-ignite discussion there.

Good summary of the meeting.

I think one great opportunity presented itself at the end of the last keynote
(stas and phillipe had left just before), when he publically thanked the
developers of Mason and mod_perl for their great products....

Gee, success story?

Anyways, I got his contact info, and he said it would be ok to email him some
questions/etc. later about a success story. Now would be a good time to pool
some good interview type questions from him. If people want to reply to this
thread, or to me, I'll compile them and hit him up for some good answers.

Jayce^
Re: Call for help with mod_perl advocacy ! [ In reply to ]
Jayce^ wrote:
> On Monday 02 August 2004 11:24 am, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>
>>Since there are no official minutes from the BOF, I'd encourage people that
>>were there and had interesting ideas to repeat those ideas on the advocacy
>>list in a little while (giving people time to subscribe to the list), and
>>re-ignite discussion there.
>

> Good summary of the meeting.

Thanks ;-)

> I think one great opportunity presented itself at the end of the last keynote
> (stas and phillipe had left just before), when he publically thanked the
> developers of Mason and mod_perl for their great products....

Yeah, we missed that, but I was told and later we met up with the guy in the
lobby and he gave us his business card.

One thing he was clear about is that his company could be quoted, but that The
Lord of The Rings couldn't be directly mentionned.

So I imagine it could look something like this :

Milton Ngan, Digital Operations Manager, Weta Ltd (the company that made the
special effects for Lords of the Rings) thinks that :
"mod_perl is bla bla bla"

> Gee, success story?

But I am not sure exactly what they used mod_perl/Mason for over there though.
That'd be interesting to know.

> Anyways, I got his contact info, and he said it would be ok to email him some
> questions/etc. later about a success story. Now would be a good time to pool
> some good interview type questions from him. If people want to reply to this
> thread, or to me, I'll compile them and hit him up for some good answers.

Yes, very good idea.

I, for one, would like to know :

What they used mod_perl for
Why they chosed mod_perl
What they considered using beside mod_perl

http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/ F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107 88C3A5A5