Mailing List Archive

broken n900 communication error
Hi,
I'm reading this mailing list a while now, but this is my first entry so
please be gentle ;)
I love my N900 but a year ago I got the following error;
"All telephony functions, including emergency call, are disabled due to
a communication error. To recover, you might have to reboot the device."
I flashed everything on my device but the error kept returning so I
figured it must be a hardware problem.
First this happened only once a day but the time between the problems
decreased from day to day to the point where I could not use the device
at all.
First this happened only once a day but the time between went down from
day to day to the point where I could not use the device at all.
So I returned my N900 to Nokia where they replaced the mainboard. after
that I had no problems at all, but now I get the same error and the time
between the incidents gets shorter and shorter.
The biggest problem is that the warranty expired so I can't get it fixed
by Nokia for free.
Can anyone provide some help or is my cell a lost cause?

Sincerely
Peter

Re: broken n900 communication error [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 3:48 AM, Peter Binnig <peter.binnig@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm reading this mailing list a while now, but this is my first entry so
> please be gentle ;)
> I love my N900 but a year ago I got the following error;
> "All telephony functions, including emergency call, are disabled due to a
> communication error. To recover, you might have to reboot the device."
> I flashed everything on my device but the error kept returning so I figured
> it must be a hardware problem.
> First this happened only once a day but the time between the problems
> decreased from day to day to the point where I could not use the device at
> all.
> First this happened only once a day but the time between went down from day
> to day to the point where I could not use the device at all.
> So I returned my N900 to Nokia where they replaced the mainboard. after that
> I had no problems at all, but now I get the same error and the time between
> the incidents gets shorter and shorter.
> The biggest problem is that the warranty expired so I can't get it fixed by
> Nokia for free.
> Can anyone provide some help or is my cell a lost cause?

Hi,

I have not had the problem, but found this blog post with a MacGuyver
solution :)

http://geek00l.blogspot.com/2011/12/high-tech-fix-for-nokia-n900-all.html

Also a huge thread at TMO about the problem:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66870

Good luck!
Re: broken n900 communication error [ In reply to ]
Thank you,
the paper trick seems to work. If I wasn't that scared to loose my phone
I could had figured that out by my self.

Re: broken n900 communication error [ In reply to ]
I was wrong, it only worked for a day and now I can't even start the
device without the error.
I don't want to loose my n900 I've grown very fond of it.

dmesg shows the following lines every time this happens:

[ 207.513336] ******
[ 207.513336] * CMT rst line change detected (0)
[ 207.513366] *****
[ 207.513549] McSAAB: ACWake line 00000000
[ 207.513580] McSAAB: CAWake line 0
[ 207.513610] McSAAB: Main state: 2
[ 207.513641] McSAAB: RX state:00
[ 207.513641] McSAAB: TX state:00
[ 207.513671] McSAAB: CMT was ONLINE
[ 207.513702] McSAAB: FLAGS: 0001
[ 207.513732] McSAAB: Last RX control msg 00000000
[ 207.513732] McSAAB: Last TX control msg 50000000
[ 207.513763] McSAAB: TX C queue head 1 tail 1
[ 207.513793] McSAAB: Data RX ID: 2
[ 207.513824] McSAAB: Data TX ID: 100
[ 207.513824] McSAAB: TX queue len: 0
[ 207.513854] McSAAB: RX queue len: 0
[ 207.542236] gprs0: detached
[ 207.968139] McSAAB: ACWAKE DOWN
[ 207.968200] McSAAB: ACWAKE UP
[ 207.968261] McSAAB: WAKELINES TEST OK
[ 208.749145] cfg80211: Regulatory domain changed to country: US
[ 208.749176] (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain,
max_eirp)
[ 208.749176] (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (600 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[ 208.749206] (5170000 KHz - 5190000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (600 mBi, 2300 mBm)
[ 208.749206] (5190000 KHz - 5210000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (600 mBi, 2300 mBm)
[ 208.749237] (5210000 KHz - 5230000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (600 mBi, 2300 mBm)
[ 208.749237] (5230000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (600 mBi, 2300 mBm)
[ 208.749267] (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (600 mBi, 3000 mBm)
[ 209.246307] wl1251: 151 tx blocks at 0x3b788, 35 rx blocks at 0x3a780
[ 209.246704] wl1251: firmware booted (Rev 4.0.4.3.7)
[ 210.886688] wl1251: down