Device serial number is
Sending request 0x01 failed: Operation timed out
NOLO_REQ_GET_STATUS: Operation timed out
ERROR: Device status query failed

I press the U button while plugging in the usb cable.

Any ideas ? If we can't get in, we might have to get a new phone possibly an android phone instead and recycle it because its useless right now.

Let me know thanks.

Daniel
Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Dan Rossi <electroteque@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, this is my first post here, so bare with me. I'm a bit saddened by the
> unmaintained state of the maemo operating system after for so long being
> excited about a real linux phone. I am asking for help in regards to reflashing
> the firmware to get back into a "locked" phone. My girlfriend accidently hit the
> "lock screen and keys" button instead of the offline mode button which is
> insanely placed between the secure device and lock screen and keys buttons.
> This is a really bad place to be putting this for starters. The default lock code
> 12345 does not work so we're stuck for solutions.

I've done the same thing, and I agree about the placement. Luckily I
never changed my code away from the default.

Just for encouragement: flashing should let you into the phone again.
It doesn't reset the code, but once you're back into your device, you
can try to recover the lock code using this program:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37808

> Trying to reflash the phone I get this error
>
> sudo flasher -F ARM.bin -f -R
> flasher 3.11.5 (May 17 2011) Harmattan
>
> USB device found at bus 253, device address 4.
> Device serial number is
> Sending request 0x01 failed: Operation timed out
> NOLO_REQ_GET_STATUS: Operation timed out
> ERROR: Device status query failed
>
> I press the U button while plugging in the usb cable.
>
> Any ideas ?

It looks like you're doing everything correctly. Be sure to run
flasher before plugging in the N900. It will wait for you to plug it
in. Normally, when everything is working, pressing U is not necessary,
as N900 will detect flasher's commands and just start going. (Pressing
U certainly doesn't hurt, though.)

You might try enabling or disabling R&D mode with the flasher, and
then trying to flash again after that. I've read reports in the past
where people having flashing trouble were able to get it going again
after issuing those commands.

There is also the "cold flashing" technique, to replace the boot
loader. (I have not personally tried it.)
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware/Cold_Flashing

Good luck!
Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]
On Monday 22 August 2011 16:04:59 Dan Rossi wrote:
> sudo flasher -F ARM.bin -f -R
> flasher 3.11.5 (May 17 2011) Harmattan
>
> USB device found at bus 253, device address 4.
> Device serial number is
> Sending request 0x01 failed: Operation timed out
> NOLO_REQ_GET_STATUS: Operation timed out
> ERROR: Device status query failed

The USB connectivity can be pretty unreliable. Some suggestions:

Unplug all other USB stuff, and plug the N900 cable directly into the PC,
without a hub in the way.

If you are using windows (I know you aren't from your command line, but...),
reboot (without the N900 connected), and try the process again.

If you can, try a different PC -- the reliability is very different on my
different PCs.

If you can, try a different OS (windows vs. linux).

Try slight differences in the process (which order you plug things in, when you
start flasher, etc).

Persevere -- in my experience you will get it to work eventually.

Graham
Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]
On 23/08/2011, at 1:44 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:

> It looks like you're doing everything correctly. Be sure to run
> flasher before plugging in the N900. It will wait for you to plug it
> in. Normally, when everything is working, pressing U is not necessary,
> as N900 will detect flasher's commands and just start going. (Pressing
> U certainly doesn't hurt, though.)
>
> You might try enabling or disabling R&D mode with the flasher, and
> then trying to flash again after that. I've read reports in the past
> where people having flashing trouble were able to get it going again
> after issuing those commands.

I cannot get the usb symbol to display unless I connect while pressing the u button. The phone is charged but it still has an orange light, has this something to do with it ?

Once i connect I get the same error. I am trying to use the flasher for osx.

> There is also the "cold flashing" technique, to replace the boot
> loader. (I have not personally tried it.)
> http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware/Cold_Flashing

sudo flasher -F ARM.bin -u

Tried this but u is an invalid argument for the osx binary.

Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]
on osx here, from the looks of the documentation only windows is supported properly. will try windows 7 in vmware.

Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]
I have flashed before btw on these two n900's but for some reason its not anymore. Im using the very latest macbook pro. I am not using the mac gui because it requires rosetta to run and don't want it installed. Will try the windows tool now.

Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]
windows documentation is out of date, the correct path is

cd "%ProgramFiles%\Nokia\flasher"

Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]
Program does not run in Windows 7, brings up security box, loads another console window for a second and closes, totally broken there. Will try vmware of ubuntu. Not very promising really, I have to flash it for my girlfriend because she'd have no clue doing this.

Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]
Sorry guys it looks like i was using the wrong tool notice

"flasher 3.11.5 (May 17 2011) Harmattan"

This is for the new Meego operating system im guessing which will hopefully bring back maemo to a maintained state, I needed the freemantle tool. Any ideas when it will be out of beta ?

It seems to be flashing now, no need to hold down 'u' just connect.

Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]
On 23/08/2011, at 1:44 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:

> I've done the same thing, and I agree about the placement. Luckily I
> never changed my code away from the default.
>
> Just for encouragement: flashing should let you into the phone again.
> It doesn't reset the code, but once you're back into your device, you
> can try to recover the lock code using this program:
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37808

This tool sounds dangerous is there proper documentation for this ?

After the reflash ,trying to change the lock code wont accept the default 12345, it was never changed and I cannot understand why it wont accept the default code ?
Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]
[Please avoid fullquoting and answering above the quoted text.]

On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 13:34 +1000, Dan Rossi wrote:
> windows documentation is out of date, the correct path is
>
> cd "%ProgramFiles%\Nokia\flasher"

I don't know which exact "windows documentation" you refer to. In case
it's on the wiki, anybody can edit - please feel free to fix it. :)

andre
--
Andre Klapper (maemo.org bugmaster | MeeGo QA)
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/ | http://www.openismus.com

Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]

On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 14:54 +1000, Dan Rossi wrote:
> Sorry guys it looks like i was using the wrong tool notice
>
> "flasher 3.11.5 (May 17 2011) Harmattan"
>
> This is for the new Meego operating system im guessing which will
> hopefully bring back maemo to a maintained state, I needed the
> freemantle tool. Any ideas when it will be out of beta ?

What is "it"? The flasher?

Also I highly expect latest flasher to still work for Fremantle.

andre

Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]
On 24/08/2011, at 7:05 PM, Andre Klapper wrote:

> [Please avoid fullquoting and answering above the quoted text.]
>

> What is "it"? The flasher?
>
> Also I highly expect latest flasher to still work for Fremantle.

No, there is two flasher tools in the downloads. The latest one for Harmattan did not work and produced said errors, I had to use the older one for Freemantle, then it could see the device and started flashing right away ;) I'd love to see the new OS out of alpha / beta when would it be ready to start using ?

Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Dan Rossi <electroteque@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23/08/2011, at 1:44 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
>
> I've done the same thing, and I agree about the placement. Luckily I
> never changed my code away from the default.
>
> Just for encouragement: flashing should let you into the phone again.
> It doesn't reset the code, but once you're back into your device, you
> can try to recover the lock code using this program:
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37808
>

> This tool sounds dangerous is there proper documentation for this ?
> After the reflash ,trying to change the lock code wont accept the default
> 12345, it was never changed and I cannot understand why it wont accept the
> default code ?

If you try the method from post #5 in that thread, it should let you
crack the password without using the pw resetting program. The more
user-friendly instructions are here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=524522&postcount=22
Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+maemo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Dan Rossi <electroteque@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 23/08/2011, at 1:44 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
>>
>> I've done the same thing, and I agree about the placement. Luckily I
>> never changed my code away from the default.
>>
>> Just for encouragement: flashing should let you into the phone again.
>> It doesn't reset the code, but once you're back into your device, you
>> can try to recover the lock code using this program:
>> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37808
>>

>> This tool sounds dangerous is there proper documentation for this ?
>> After the reflash ,trying to change the lock code wont accept the default
>> 12345, it was never changed and I cannot understand why it wont accept the
>> default code ?
>
> If you try the method from post #5 in that thread, it should let you
> crack the password without using the pw resetting program. The more
> user-friendly instructions are here:
> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=524522&postcount=22

I've never set a lock code, and never used it, so I thought I'd try
this... The default lock code 12345 actually appeared in plain text.
Once I reset it (to 12345 again) then it showed up hashed. I installed
John The Ripper from extras-devel, followed the directions from that
TMO post, and it was able to crack the lock code in 3 seconds. So
hopefully you can do the same.
Re: Help with locked phone [ In reply to ]
ok thanks ;)