worked.

I have a new laptop (Dell inspiron 1525) with a Bluetooth card. I'd like
to use that with the
phone, too, but I'm not sure how. It's got Fedora Core 9. I assume if the
N810 can connect then the laptop ought to be able to

Any suggestions ?

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Re: Using phone as modem [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011, Andrew Daviel wrote:

> Somewhat off-topic, but I suspect there's the expertise on this list.

For the benefit of any search engines or other curious entities, I solved
this. Sort of. Fedora 9 with the Nokia E71 phone "just worked" using the
USB cable (which I'd left at home) using Gnome Networkmanager.
Over Bluetooth, that was ignored but I could use rfcomm to talk to the
modem and then pppd with chat to establish a connection, same as for my
old phone with cable. My N810 uses ATD*99***1# but ATD*99# works fine; I
guess a cid of 1 is the default.

I didn't manage to get it to work under Windows; the Nokia OVI suite
contains a big list of APNs and dial codes for hundreds of cellular
networks around the world, including Rogers, but failed to connect for
some reason even though it appeared to use the same settings as worked on
Linux. I see that they now have a separate APN for "tethering", though
the "internet.com" APN still works for my N810 and laptop.

Somewhat documented at http://andrew.daviel.org/nokiaE71-linux.html

I haven't tried talking to the modem directly from the N810; a while ago
with my old phone I found I could get signal strength and cell ID from
the phone and used that to make a map, basically just for fun.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada