Mailing List Archive

FCamera - 640x480 only?
Hello!
I *love* FCam and FCamera - already as they are. The nearest thing to a
real camera for a mobile.

So I went off and took some pictures and today for the first time loaded
them onto my PC and recognised they are all "just" 640x480!?

So I tried to find the resolution setting in FCamera but there was none.

Is there a way to have the full 5MP in FCamera?

I would be pretty disappointed if this wasn't possible...

Pressing thumbs!

Cheers
nils

--
kernel concepts GbR Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48
Re: FCamera - 640x480 only? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Nils Faerber
<nils.faerber@kernelconcepts.de> wrote:
> Hello!
> I *love* FCam and FCamera - already as they are. The nearest thing to a
> real camera for a mobile.
>
> So I went off and took some pictures and today for the first time loaded
> them onto my PC and recognised they are all "just" 640x480!?
>
> So I tried to find the resolution setting in FCamera but there was none.
>
> Is there a way to have the full 5MP in FCamera?
>
> I would be pretty disappointed if this wasn't possible...
>
> Pressing thumbs!

I remember reading some discussion of this, and the explanation that
it's not actually 640x480, but some applications are reading it wrong.
Something like this. :)

What is the filesize? You should be able to figure out the resolution
roughly from that. If it's truly 640x480 the file should be less than
1 megabyte I think. If it's full-sized then it should be closer to 10.
Re: FCamera - 640x480 only? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 10:24 -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Nils Faerber
> <nils.faerber@kernelconcepts.de> wrote:
> > Hello!
> > I *love* FCam and FCamera - already as they are. The nearest thing to a
> > real camera for a mobile.
> >
> > So I went off and took some pictures and today for the first time loaded
> > them onto my PC and recognised they are all "just" 640x480!?
> >
> > So I tried to find the resolution setting in FCamera but there was none.
> >
> > Is there a way to have the full 5MP in FCamera?
> >
> > I would be pretty disappointed if this wasn't possible...
> >
> > Pressing thumbs!
>
> I remember reading some discussion of this, and the explanation that
> it's not actually 640x480, but some applications are reading it wrong.
> Something like this. :)
>
> What is the filesize? You should be able to figure out the resolution
> roughly from that. If it's truly 640x480 the file should be less than
> 1 megabyte I think. If it's full-sized then it should be closer to 10.

If memory serves, FCamera use dng format. I've not found any maemo or
linux software that allows one to view dng format images in their full
resolution.

Re: FCamera - 640x480 only? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Rick B. <rabil@clear.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 10:24 -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Nils Faerber
>> <nils.faerber@kernelconcepts.de> wrote:
>> > Hello!
>> > I *love* FCam and FCamera - already as they are. The nearest thing to a
>> > real camera for a mobile.
>> >
>> > So I went off and took some pictures and today for the first time loaded
>> > them onto my PC and recognised they are all "just" 640x480!?
>> >
>> > So I tried to find the resolution setting in FCamera but there was none.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to have the full 5MP in FCamera?
>> >
>> > I would be pretty disappointed if this wasn't possible...
>> >
>> > Pressing thumbs!
>>
>> I remember reading some discussion of this, and the explanation that
>> it's not actually 640x480, but some applications are reading it wrong.
>> Something like this. :)
>>
>> What is the filesize? You should be able to figure out the resolution
>> roughly from that. If it's truly 640x480 the file should be less than
>> 1 megabyte I think. If it's full-sized then it should be closer to 10.
>

> If memory serves, FCamera use dng format. I've not found any maemo or
> linux software that allows one to view dng format images in their full
> resolution.

I think UFraw should be able to handle DNG. (maybe in Easy Debian if
there's not a proper maemo version)

Otherwise try it on a Mac or Windows machine with a recent release of
Photoshop...
Re: FCamera - 640x480 only? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+maemo@gmail.com<paul.hartman%2Bmaemo@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Rick B. <rabil@clear.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 10:24 -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:

> loaded

> none.

> >> I remember reading some discussion of this, and the explanation that
> >> it's not actually 640x480, but some applications are reading it wrong.
> >> Something like this. :)
> >>
> >> What is the filesize? You should be able to figure out the resolution
> >> roughly from that. If it's truly 640x480 the file should be less than
> >> 1 megabyte I think. If it's full-sized then it should be closer to 10.
> >

> > If memory serves, FCamera use dng format. I've not found any maemo or
> > linux software that allows one to view dng format images in their full
> > resolution.
>
> I think UFraw should be able to handle DNG. (maybe in Easy Debian if
> there's not a proper maemo version)
>
> Otherwise try it on a Mac or Windows machine with a recent release of
> Photoshop...

.... OR you can use MRAWViewer on the N900 itself (though you need to enable
extras-devel to get the latest version which support FCamera DNGs).

--
Luca Donaggio
Re: FCamera - 640x480 only? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 10:11 +0100, Luca Donaggio wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman
> +maemo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Rick B. <rabil@clear.net>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 10:24 -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
> nearest thing to a

> first time loaded
> 640x480!?

> there was none.

> >> I remember reading some discussion of this, and the
> explanation that
> >> it's not actually 640x480, but some applications are
> reading it wrong.
> >> Something like this. :)
> >>
> >> What is the filesize? You should be able to figure out the
> resolution
> >> roughly from that. If it's truly 640x480 the file should be
> less than
> >> 1 megabyte I think. If it's full-sized then it should be
> closer to 10.
> >

> > If memory serves, FCamera use dng format. I've not found any
> maemo or
> > linux software that allows one to view dng format images in
> their full
> > resolution.
>

> I think UFraw should be able to handle DNG. (maybe in Easy
> Debian if
> there's not a proper maemo version)
>
> Otherwise try it on a Mac or Windows machine with a recent
> release of
> Photoshop...

> .... OR you can use MRAWViewer on the N900 itself (though you need to
> enable extras-devel to get the latest version which support FCamera
> DNGs).
>
> --
> Luca Donaggio
> ___________________________________

I tried shotwell and ufraw under Ubuntu 10.04. Both support dng and
worked with images downloaded from the Internet but neither would work
with the Fcamera dng's. I will try MRAWViewer from extras-devel at the
first opportunity.

Re: FCamera - 640x480 only? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Rick B. <rabil@clear.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 10:11 +0100, Luca Donaggio wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman
> > +maemo@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Rick B. <rabil@clear.net>
> > wrote:
> > nearest thing to a

> > first time loaded
> > 640x480!?

> > there was none.

> > explanation that
> > reading it wrong.

> > resolution
> > less than
> > closer to 10.
> > >

> > > If memory serves, FCamera use dng format. I've not found any
> > maemo or
> > > linux software that allows one to view dng format images in
> > their full
> > > resolution.
> >

> > I think UFraw should be able to handle DNG. (maybe in Easy
> > Debian if
> > there's not a proper maemo version)
> >
> > Otherwise try it on a Mac or Windows machine with a recent
> > release of
> > Photoshop...

> > .... OR you can use MRAWViewer on the N900 itself (though you need to
> > enable extras-devel to get the latest version which support FCamera
> > DNGs).
> >
> > --
> > Luca Donaggio
> > ___________________________________
>

> I tried shotwell and ufraw under Ubuntu 10.04. Both support dng and
> worked with images downloaded from the Internet but neither would work
> with the Fcamera dng's. I will try MRAWViewer from extras-devel at the
> first opportunity.

Were the DNGs from a recent FCamera's version? Old versions of FCamera
produced corrupted DNGs.

--
Luca Donaggio
Re: FCamera - 640x480 only? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 17:13 +0100, Luca Donaggio wrote:

> Were the DNGs from a recent FCamera's version? Old versions of FCamera
> produced corrupted DNGs.
>
> --
> Luca Donaggio

Not sure but I'll try to take some new ones and check it out.

Rick B.

Re: FCamera - 640x480 only? [ In reply to ]
Am 04.02.2011 22:50, schrieb Rick B.:
> On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 17:13 +0100, Luca Donaggio wrote:
>> Were the DNGs from a recent FCamera's version? Old versions of FCamera
>> produced corrupted DNGs.
>> Luca Donaggio
> Not sure but I'll try to take some new ones and check it out.

Tried with ufraw - works perfectly!
The 640x480 image seems to be the included preview image. When using raw
tools like ufraw you get access to the full picture - amazing!

> Rick B.
Cheers
nils

Re: FCamera - 640x480 only? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 10:56 +0100, Nils Faerber wrote:
> Am 04.02.2011 22:50, schrieb Rick B.:
> > On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 17:13 +0100, Luca Donaggio wrote:
> >> Were the DNGs from a recent FCamera's version? Old versions of FCamera
> >> produced corrupted DNGs.
> >> Luca Donaggio
> > Not sure but I'll try to take some new ones and check it out.
>
> Tried with ufraw - works perfectly!
> The 640x480 image seems to be the included preview image. When using raw
> tools like ufraw you get access to the full picture - amazing!
>
> > Rick B.
> Cheers
> nils

I must have had the old version of FCamera early on. The newer images
are viewable using the raw viewer on the N900 and using ufraw and other
linux software.

Rick B.