Mailing List Archive

Repartitioning my N900
Hi guys. I want to repartition my flash.

I want to have more space for apps and more space to develop on.

For starters I want to try the swap solutuion. I guess it is a good first
step for me.

I have 3 questions:

1- I want to have also more space for apps, this solution won't help me
there, right?
2-I have an N900 with PR 1.3 so are the NUMBERS bellow in the "table" file
correct for me? (I'm not sure if those numbers are for the N900 or another
device running maemo)
3-I've read in the tutorial about other solutions for repartitionning more
oriented to having different Operating Systems like ubuntu. I have an SD
card, could I install Ubuntu there as I did with the NitDroid project or
would I need to repartition the internal flash?

Please, If you could, write me a comment or advise.

thanks and whish me luck.

f(t)

We assume you have the standard Nokia partition layout on your device.

*Warning: the contents of MyDocs will deleted. Perform a backup!*

umount /home/user/MyDocs
sfdisk -c /dev/mmcblk0 1 83 # optional (safer): change FAT to ext3 id
mkfs.ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p1 # create ext3 on large partition
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt # mount new /home
cp -a /home/* /mnt # copy contents of /home to large partition
umount /mnt # unmount it

create the file "table":

unit: sectors
/dev/mmcblk0p1 : start= 56631360, size= 4194304, Id= c
/dev/mmcblk0p2 : start= 64, size= 56631296, Id=83
/dev/mmcblk0p3 : start= 60825664, size= 1572864, Id=82
/dev/mmcblk0p4 : start= 0, size= 0, Id= 0

continue with

sfdisk --no-reread /dev/mmcblk0 < table # change partition table, swap p1 and p2
reboot; exit # reboot to re-read new table

after reboot

mkfs.vfat -F32 /dev/mmcblk0p1 # create VFAT on 2GB partition
mount /home/user/MyDocs # mount it

voila!
Re: Repartitioning my N900 [ In reply to ]
Just to get one thing straight - are you sure the 2gigs for apps and /home are not enough? Or, did you just run out of rootfs space (i.e. Didn't placd your app under /opt ("optify" it), and hence think you need to repartition your mmc)?
--
Sent from my Nokia N900

Re: Repartitioning my N900 [ In reply to ]
Not really. that is the answer to my 1st question thaugh.

I want it to repartition it anyways.

f(t)

Re: Repartitioning my N900 [ In reply to ]
I BRICK my phone. On the third instruction, the one that formats the
partition.

f(t)