I'm finding myself lost in the jargon of the kinds of data networks
available and which all of them would work with N900. I currently have
EDGE, though looking to shift to faster options.

The official specs say N900 can access HSPA and WCDMA data networks.

Firstly are HSPA and HSDPA different? If so, does N900 support the latter?

What about EVDO? Will it work on N900? Also, will ohm sim cards work with
N900?

Mayuresh.
Re: Does N900 support omh sim cards? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Mayuresh <mayuresh@acm.org> wrote:
> I'm finding myself lost in the jargon of the kinds of data networks
> available and which all of them would work with N900. I currently have
> EDGE, though looking to shift to faster options.
>

> The official specs say N900 can access HSPA and WCDMA data networks.
>

> Firstly are HSPA and HSDPA different? If so, does N900 support the latter?

HSDPA is the downlink channel of HSPA (HSUPA is uplink). So, yes N900
supports it.

These are the supported technologies:

Voice:
GSM 1800
GSM 1900
GSM 850
GSM 900
WCDMA Band I (2100)
WCDMA Band IV (1700/2100)
WCDMA Band VIII (900)

Data:
Dual Transfer Mode (MSC 11)
EDGE Class A
GPRS Class A
HSDPA
HSUPA
WCDMA

> What about EVDO? Will it work on N900? Also, will ohm sim cards work with
> N900?

No, these are CDMA technologies and N900 does not support CDMA.
Re: Does N900 support omh sim cards? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Mayuresh <mayuresh@acm.org> wrote:
> I'm finding myself lost in the jargon of the kinds of data networks
> available and which all of them would work with N900. I currently have
> EDGE, though looking to shift to faster options.

Also, if you tell us which country you are in, maybe someone familiar
with your area can suggest compatible carriers.

For example, in USA the only nationwide carrier that works fully to
the N900's capabilities is T-Mobile.

Good luck :)
Re: Does N900 support omh sim cards? [ In reply to ]
On 9/24/10, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+maemo@gmail.com> wrote:

> These are the supported technologies:
>
> Voice:
> GSM 1800
> GSM 1900
> GSM 850
> GSM 900
> WCDMA Band I (2100)
> WCDMA Band IV (1700/2100)
> WCDMA Band VIII (900)
>
> Data:
> Dual Transfer Mode (MSC 11)
> EDGE Class A
> GPRS Class A
> HSDPA
> HSUPA
> WCDMA

But AT&T & Rogers operate on UMTS bands I/II/V: 2100, 1900, 850 MHz.
AFAIK, most GSM based carriers use standard UICCs with their 3G & 4G
networks.

-Gary
Re: Does N900 support omh sim cards? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Mayuresh <mayuresh@acm.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 04:03:07PM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Mayuresh <mayuresh@acm.org> wrote:
>> > I'm finding myself lost in the jargon of the kinds of data networks
>> > available and which all of them would work with N900. I currently have
>> > EDGE, though looking to shift to faster options.
>>
>> Also, if you tell us which country you are in, maybe someone familiar
>> with your area can suggest compatible carriers.
>
> Paul, thanks for a precise reply.
>
> From the term WCDMA I thought CDMA is supported, though from your reply it
> appears these are totally different technologies not to be confused.
>
> I am from India. Seems there are a lot of EVDO options around though very
> few 3G (HSPA) right now - mainly the state owned BSNL/MTNL. A no of
> carriers would launch these by early 2011.
>
> If anyone can post which all high speed data plans work on N900 that will
> be really useful.
>
> Mayuresh.

Sadly I don't know anything about the carriers in India, hopefully
someone else on the list can give you some help with that. Good luck!