like the wrong choice to have bought the N900.

Cheers
nils

--
kernel concepts GbR Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48
D-57072 Siegen Mob: +49-176-21024535
http://www.kernelconcepts.de
Re: News an Nokia maps navigation? [ In reply to ]
On 13 July 2010 09:31, Nils Faerber <nils.faerber@kernelconcepts.de> wrote:
> Hi!
> Now that Nokia recently announced free turn-by-turn navigation for
> almost all of their smartphones (all S60 3rd later than ~2008) I am
> wondering if there will be a version for the N900 too?
>
> Currently I feel a little "left behind". For others it may even feel
> like the wrong choice to have bought the N900.

I am also looking forward to maps that can be used for offline
navigation. Apparently Mapper, Mappero and Navit should be able to do
it, but I could get none of them to use a map I downloaded from
Openstreetmaps.

Regards
Johann

--
"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true,  whatsoever things are
honest, whatsoever things are  just, whatsoever things are pure,
Re: News an Nokia maps navigation? [ In reply to ]
Johann Spies wrote:
> On 13 July 2010 09:31, Nils Faerber <nils.faerber@kernelconcepts.de> wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Now that Nokia recently announced free turn-by-turn navigation for
>> almost all of their smartphones (all S60 3rd later than ~2008) I am
>> wondering if there will be a version for the N900 too?
>>
>> Currently I feel a little "left behind". For others it may even feel
>> like the wrong choice to have bought the N900.
>
> I am also looking forward to maps that can be used for offline
> navigation. Apparently Mapper, Mappero and Navit should be able to do
> it, but I could get none of them to use a map I downloaded from
> Openstreetmaps.

Ah - interesting...
I am currently looking deeper into Navit and have it mostly working now.
I am now using the navit maemo packages from
http://www.chollya.org/navit/
Just add it to your catalogues with distribution /

To actually use a map file you need to add a maps.xml to your user's
homedir.navit, like this

<map type="binfile" enabled="yes"
data="/media/mmc1/MapsNavit/osm-germany.bin"/>

(you can add multiple of those entries)

Map files can pretty easily be generated from here:
http://maps.navit-project.org/download/

Attached is a .tar.gz (hopefully the ML will let is pass) which contains
a nice UI for navit - just extract it in the user's .navit directory
(and if you d this as root please remember to change ownership and
permission to the user).

By now I have a nice map display, working with the internal GPS,
following the driving direction (auto rotating the map) and even 3D view ;)

What I am still missing is the GUI as shown here:
http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/OSD_Layouts#nibbler01_v0.2_for_Netbook_.26_widescreen
(the nibbler UI is basically the same for N900 and the original meant
for netbooks).

Maybe this helps!

> Regards
> Johann
Cheers
nils

Re: News an Nokia maps navigation? [ In reply to ]
Johann Spies wrote:
> On 13 July 2010 09:31, Nils Faerber <nils.faerber@kernelconcepts.de> wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Now that Nokia recently announced free turn-by-turn navigation for
>> almost all of their smartphones (all S60 3rd later than ~2008) I am
>> wondering if there will be a version for the N900 too?
>>
>> Currently I feel a little "left behind". For others it may even feel
>> like the wrong choice to have bought the N900.
>
> I am also looking forward to maps that can be used for offline
> navigation. Apparently Mapper, Mappero and Navit should be able to do
> it, but I could get none of them to use a map I downloaded from
> Openstreetmaps.

On Mappero you should set the OpenStreet repository and download the maps directly from Mappero.