Mailing List Archive

Images Problem (Showing images outside image and camera directories, but not inside them)
Hi all, I had a humbling experience today...

I was feeling awesome and very cocky installing icetea, ant, and mercurial,
and I hg unbundling a repository of a project of mine that I sent me by
mail.

make a little change ==> execute ant, and the terminal starts to fly
beautifully, tests are passing great everything is "dreamy" :-)

I open my pictures to impress a girl by showing her pictures of my amazing
dog umka and her ultra-cute ultra-destroy-everything puppies.

(I figure: Awesome N900 + background geeking with ant and icetea +
cute pictures of puppies = no more lonely nights)

What could go wrong, right?

I see all the #%#@$$@ Flag images (Yes as in @#$#%% country flags icons)
that I have, because I wouldn't settle for a language combo that said
Arabic, what if my home made project no one use falls in the hands of an
Arab speaking person which came from Yemen and not Saudi Arabia?

God my life is sad,

Is there a way to avoid having pictures manager look into my Workspace
folder? its in the same directory as the rest Images, Documents, Pictures,
(Workspace)

Should I put my workspace folder outside MyDocs?

instead of

~/MyDocs/Workspace
~/Workspace

Would that help?

I don't want to put a custom filter to show just one folder, which is what I
had to do to get the chick to stop laughing ;-)

</ridiculous_rant>
f(t)
Re: Images Problem (Showing images outside image and camera directories, but not inside them) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 5:02 AM, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail
<francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to avoid having pictures manager look into my Workspace
> folder? its in the same directory as the rest Images, Documents, Pictures,
> (Workspace)

Try:

Photos application ->

Menu - "Filter by folder" - Camera default folder

> Should I put my workspace folder  outside MyDocs?
> instead of
> ~/MyDocs/Workspace
> ~/Workspace
> Would that help?
> I don't want to put a custom filter to show just one folder, which is what I
> had to do to get the chick to stop laughing ;-)
> </ridiculous_rant>
> f(t)

Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio
Re: Images Problem (Showing images outside image and camera directories, but not inside them) [ In reply to ]
Quote from my original message.

Re: Images Problem (Showing images outside image and camera directories, but not inside them) [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail
<francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to avoid having pictures manager look into my Workspace
> folder?

Edit /home/user/.config/tracker/tracker.cfg and add the directories
with the images you want excluded to the NoWatchDirectory line.
Re: Images Problem (Showing images outside image and camera directories, but not inside them) [ In reply to ]
I knew there had to be an awesome way... :-)

for the time being I had resolved it as I said by moving the folder outside
MyDocs.

but then I could not use the pyGTKEditor which I am trying out.

by the way, why is it than when you *mv* a file or a dir you get that error
about mv cannot retain ownership or something like that?

f(t)

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+maemo@gmail.com<paul.hartman%2Bmaemo@gmail.com>

Re: Images Problem (Showing images outside image and camera directories, but not inside them) [ In reply to ]
:-(
it didn't work.
NoWatchDirectory=$HOME/MyDocs/Workspace/;$HOME/MyDocs/core-d

When I open pictures it shows a message (yellow stripe in the middle)
receiving information from blah....

then shows all my flag icons.

Re: Images Problem (Showing images outside image and camera directories, but not inside them) [ In reply to ]
Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail wrote:
> by the way, why is it than when you *mv* a file or a dir you get that
> error about mv cannot retain ownership or something like that?

You are probably moving the files to a fat filesystem, which doesn't support the unix ownsership and permissions.

Re: Images Problem (Showing images outside image and camera directories, but not inside them) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail
<francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com> wrote:
> :-(
> it didn't work.
> NoWatchDirectory=$HOME/MyDocs/Workspace/;$HOME/MyDocs/core-d
>
> When I open pictures it shows a message (yellow stripe in the middle)
> receiving information from blah....
>
> then shows all my flag icons.

You might also need to rebuild tracker database after changing the
config file. Try running this command:

tracker-processes -r

That will kill all tracker processes and remove the existing database,
causing it to rebuild from scratch (may take a minute or two depending
on how much media is on your device).
Re: Images Problem (Showing images outside image and camera directories, but not inside them) [ In reply to ]
Note: you need to run that as user, not root.

Alternatively, you can use the TrackerCfg app from the Extras-devel repository to make changes like this, and configure other options around tracker.

Re: Images Problem (Showing images outside image and camera directories, but not inside them) [ In reply to ]
Thanks Paul and Craig and all others too.

It Worked like a charm.

I have another question regarding partitioning but I'll ask it in a
different thread.

f(t)