Has it moved? It used to be in App Manager->Download->Click on Application Manager top bar and find "search".

thanks in advance,
bernard
Re: Searching in the app manager [ In reply to ]
On 9 June 2010 17:07, Bernard Tyers <b@runningwithbulls.com> wrote:

> There used to be a handy function in the app manager to search.
>
> I cannot seem to find this anymore after upgrading to 1.2.
>
> Has it moved? It used to be in App Manager->Download->Click on Application
> Manager top bar and find "search".

That handy feature has been replaced by even more handy type-ahead feature.
While in the list of apps, just start typing with hw keyboard.

Handy, but I wouldn't remove search from menu as they did with PR1.2, as it
makes unclear for end-user how to search for specific applications (as you
noticed).

--
Dawid 'evad' Lorenz * http://adl.pl

null://google 'no evil' mail has taken away my random signatures
Re: Searching in the app manager [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 09.06.2010, 17:07 +0100 schrieb Bernard Tyers:
> There used to be a handy function in the app manager to search.
> Has it moved? It used to be in App Manager->Download->Click on
> Application Manager top bar and find "search".

It was removed in favor of "search as you type".

andre
--
Andre Klapper (maemo.org bugmaster)

Re: Searching in the app manager [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Bernard Tyers <b@runningwithbulls.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There used to be a handy function in the app manager to search.
>
> I cannot seem to find this anymore after upgrading to 1.2.
>
> Has it moved? It used to be in App Manager->Download->Click on Application Manager top bar and find "search".

Hi Bernard,

Now you must open a category and start typing on the hardware
keyboard. Now there is no way to search using touchscreen-only AFAIK,
and ability to limit your search to titles or descriptions is gone.

In general I find it to be MUCH faster and easier to just go to xterm
and do "apt-cache search foo" rather than deal with application
manager and all of its monumental slowness.
Re: Searching in the app manager [ In reply to ]
On 9 June 2010 17:37, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+maemo@gmail.com<paul.hartman%2Bmaemo@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> In general I find it to be MUCH faster and easier to just go to xterm
> and do "apt-cache search foo" rather than deal with application
> manager and all of its monumental slowness.

That's so true.. yet isn't that manual installation via apt-get does some
things slightly different than installing via app manager, hence sometimes
things get broken or device isn't able to upgrade to the next major PR1.x
release?

Not sure what exactly I am talking about here, to be honest, but I'm fairly
sure I've seen it somewhere that installing apps via apt-get might cause
trouble in long run.

Re: Searching in the app manager [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Dawid Lorenz <adl@adl.pl> wrote:

> On 9 June 2010 17:37, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+maemo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In general I find it to be MUCH faster and easier to just go to xterm
>> and do "apt-cache search foo" rather than deal with application
>> manager and all of its monumental slowness.
>
> That's so true.. yet isn't that manual installation via apt-get does some
> things slightly different than installing via app manager, hence sometimes
> things get broken or device isn't able to upgrade to the next major PR1.x
> release?
>
> Not sure what exactly I am talking about here, to be honest, but I'm fairly
> sure I've seen it somewhere that installing apps via apt-get might cause
> trouble in long run.

Well I was specifically talking about searching with apt-cache search,
which should be read-only and perfectly safe, I think. Of course, if
you find the package and want to install it using the application
manager for that then it probably would have been just as easy to
search in application manager in the first place. :)

I believe application manager only looks at packages with "user"
classification while apt-get will give you access to everything, which
can give you more power (installing things which are not listed in app
manager or upgrading installed libraries, for example) but with great
power comes great responsibility. :) You can also remove important
things that way and generally "break things"...
Re: Searching in the app manager [ In reply to ]
On 9 Jun 2010, at 17:37, Paul Hartman wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Bernard Tyers <b@runningwithbulls.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There used to be a handy function in the app manager to search.
>>
>> I cannot seem to find this anymore after upgrading to 1.2.
>>
>> Has it moved? It used to be in App Manager->Download->Click on Application Manager top bar and find "search".
>
> Hi Bernard,
>
> Now you must open a category and start typing on the hardware
> keyboard. Now there is no way to search using touchscreen-only AFAIK,
> and ability to limit your search to titles or descriptions is gone.
>
> In general I find it to be MUCH faster and easier to just go to xterm
> and do "apt-cache search foo" rather than deal with application
> manager and all of its monumental slowness.

Hi Paul, and all,

Ok, I wasn't aware of the new "feature". I'll have to try it and see how it works.

I wonder if there are any other hidden features.

thanks,
Bernard

Re: Searching in the app manager [ In reply to ]
Andre Klapper <aklapper@openismus.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.06.2010, 17:07 +0100 schrieb Bernard Tyers:
>> There used to be a handy function in the app manager to search.
>> Has it moved? It used to be in App Manager->Download->Click on
>> Application Manager top bar and find "search".
>
> It was removed in favor of "search as you type".

I don't understand why one replaces the other. It would be nice to have
both.

(Also, sure would be nice if the arrow keys scrolled the listings in the
app manager...)

--
-John Sullivan
-http://wjsullivan.net