Check out the following links:
http://www.nokiausa.com/770
http://www.nokiausa.com/770/1,7841,feat:1,00.html
http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/expectedsoon

:(

cc: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Nokia 770 US Version, 802.11b only?! [ In reply to ]
Reggie,

in my opinion it would be a big mistake on Nokia's part to support only
802.11b and not 802.11g as well. Also the 770 would have to support, at
a minimum, Wireless Protected Access (WPA) if not WPA2/802.11i in
order for the 770 to be viable in the market given the well known
exploits against the older Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) security standard.

Furthermore, it is my understanding that, in order to carry the WIFI
alliance

http://www.weca.net/OpenSection/index.asp?noFlash=true

certfication, the 770 would have to support WPA as a minimum.

Perhaps someone on this list from Nokia could comment on these points.

--
Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International
GSEC Gold,GCWN Gold,GGSC-0100,NSA-IAM

(H) 703 620 0672
(M) 703 407 2278
(F) 703 620 5388

primary email address: jholmblad@aol.com
backup email address: jholmblad@verizon.net

Nokia 770 US Version, 802.11b only?! [ In reply to ]
Hello,

John B. Holmblad wrote:
> in my opinion it would be a big mistake on Nokia's part to support only
> 802.11b and not 802.11g as well. Also the 770 would have to support, at

apart from the fact that in my opinion this is a bug of the website i don't
think 802.11b would be a major drawback. These standards are backward compatible
and even 802.11b is faster than you usually need on a device like the 770.

Greetings

Florian

--
The dream of yesterday Florian Boor
is the hope of today Tel: 0271-771091-14

6C 44 30 4C 43 20 6B 61 16 07 0F AA E6 97 70 A8
Nokia 770 US Version, 802.11b only?! [ In reply to ]
Florian Boor wrote:

> Hello,
>
> John B. Holmblad wrote:
>
>>in my opinion it would be a big mistake on Nokia's part to support only
>>802.11b and not 802.11g as well. Also the 770 would have to support, at
>

> apart from the fact that in my opinion this is a bug of the website i don't
> think 802.11b would be a major drawback. These standards are backward compatible
> and even 802.11b is faster than you usually need on a device like the 770.

Dang! No 802.11x how am I going to be able to play real times games
in a frag fest? ;-)

I do have one question, it is my understanding that in an 802.11
b/g environment that the presence of a 802.11b only device causes
everything to fall back to 802.11b. Is this correct?

It may be a slight concern.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Nokia 770 US Version, 802.11b only?! [ In reply to ]
> in my opinion it would be a big mistake on Nokia's part to support
> only 802.11b and not 802.11g as well. Also the 770 would have to
> support, at a minimum,? Wireless Protected Access (WPA) if not
> WPA2/802.11i? in order for the 770 to be viable in the market given
> the well known exploits against the older Wired Equivalent Privacy
> (WEP) security standard.

I wholeheartedly agree. It must support WPA, and 802g would be a major
selling point. No other PDA can do that right now. With the computer
stores pushing 802.11n and WiMax being the buzzword right now, 802.11b
seems so antiquated by comparison.

As a current Tapwave Zodiac user with the SanDisk 802.11b wireless SD
card, and there are many with equivalent setups, there isn't a very
compelling reason to make the switch to the 770. The zodiac has a
216Mhz processor, a dedicated video processor, and has 128Mb onboard
memory. The Nokia 770 doesn't compare well to the current Palms when
looking at hardware specs. One way that Nokia can set the device apart
is to include the faster networking technology. No current Palms or
PPCs have 802.11g built in.

My $.02