Mailing List Archive

qt-components-blanco-theme in Extras-Devel is empty/missing files?
Hi,

I'm currently looking into how well Qt Quick Components are supported
on Fremantle. The package "qt-quick-components" installs fine and
works, but without having a theme, the UI elements are not visible and
do not work. Installing "qt-components-blanco-theme" should apparently
fix this issue, but it doesn't contain many files:

~ $ dpkg -L qt-components-blanco-theme
/.
/opt
/opt/share
/opt/share/themes
/opt/share/themes/blanco
/opt/share/themes/blanco/meegotouch
/opt/share/themes/blanco/meegotouch/constants.ini
/opt/share/themes/blanco/index.theme
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/themes
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/qt-components-blanco-theme
/usr/share/doc/qt-components-blanco-theme/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/themes/blanco

Taking the /usr/share/themes/blanco/meegotouch folder from a Harmattan
device or from a Platform SDK (Scratchbox) install makes my Qt
Components-based application work (apart from some rotation/landscape
issues, but this is not a theme problem AIUI). Is this just a
packaging error or are there some licensing problems with the blanco
theme? Having a look at the source package of "qt-components-themes"
(from Extras-Devel), I can't find a debian/copyright file, but the
package contains a LICENSE.LGPL file, talking about the "DirectUI
Framework" being available under the terms of the LGPL v 2.1, but
nothing about the theme itself.

What is the license of the "blanco" theme, and (if it's closed), is
there an easy way to provide Fremantle users with the theme (apart
from telling them to download the Harmattan SDK and extract the theme
files themselves)?

The packages mentioned can be found here, btw:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/qt-components/
http://maemo.org/packages/view/qt-components-blanco-theme/

Thanks,
Thomas
Re: qt-components-blanco-theme in Extras-Devel is empty/missing files? [ In reply to ]
Hi Thomas

> I'm currently looking into how well Qt Quick Components are supported
> on Fremantle.

Nice!

>The package "qt-quick-components" installs fine and
> works, but without having a theme, the UI elements are not visible and
> do not work.

This shouldn't happen. Could you send me application output?

t-components-10 should have a dependence on qt-components-base-theme.
This package is based on Jakub's work for nemomobile, so despite some
missing images from extras components (those white squares with
numbers inside...), you can use it for app deployment to
extras-devel.

> Installing "qt-components-blanco-theme" should apparently
> fix this issue, but it doesn't contain many files:
>
> Taking the /usr/share/themes/blanco/meegotouch folder from a Harmattan
> device or from a Platform SDK (Scratchbox) install makes my Qt
> Components-based application work (apart from some rotation/landscape
> issues, but this is not a theme problem AIUI). Is this just a
> packaging error or are there some licensing problems with the blanco
> theme?

It's not an error, unfortunately. That package is just an scaffold to
allow a 'power user' to make use of blanco proprietary theme. The
package does two things:

1. Install a set of UI constants usable by theming extensions
2. set a gconf key to point theme to blanco.

To use that theme, install it and copy icons and images directory from
blanco (I recommend theme installed with Nokia Qt 1.1.4 SDK,
scratchbox based SDK contains qt-components 1.0)

The same happens with font. Nokia pure is propietary. :(

> Having a look at the source package of "qt-components-themes"
> (from Extras-Devel), I can't find a debian/copyright file, but the
> package contains a LICENSE.LGPL file, talking about the "DirectUI
> Framework" being available under the terms of the LGPL v 2.1, but
> nothing about the theme itself.

I have been a bit lazy updating LICENSE files properly. For
qt-components-theme package:

Base theme: https://github.com/jpavelek/meego-handset-theme-darko/blob/master/LICENSE
Blanco scaffold theme: BSD

for qt-components: Nokia BSD :)

> What is the license of the "blanco" theme, and (if it's closed), is
> there an easy way to provide Fremantle users with the theme (apart
> from telling them to download the Harmattan SDK and extract the theme
> files themselves)?

The easiest, by far, is to fetch it from Nokia Qt SDK. but thomas,
problem is not theme. (Sooner or later, Jakub will finish it's darko
theme). Real problem here is Nokia Pure font, which is also
proprietary, and will affect to app layouts after the PR 1.2 release.