Mailing List Archive

Waiting "Pending maintainer request" for Python-SymPy
It is my 1st post here. About the issue of :

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1090337#post1090337

I have submitted Python-SymPy v0.7.1, see :
http://maemo.org/packages/view/python-sympy/
But I need to be the maintainer to promote the new version from
extras-devel to extras-testing. I have tried contacting the current
maintainer (Tom Tanner) with no success. I also have requested to be
Python-SymPy maintainer, but the request is still pending for more than
one week.

Could some Maemo administrator approve me as Python-SymPy maintainer ?

Python-SymPy is currently used by "Integral"
<http://maemo.org/packages/view/integral/> and soon to be released
"Derivative", "Limit" and "Power Series". I am the author of these
softwares.

So I think it is important that Python-SymPy gain visibility by being
promoted to extras-testing and perhaps extras.

Thanks in advance,

Roberto Colistete Jr.
Re: Waiting "Pending maintainer request" for Python-SymPy [ In reply to ]
Hi Roberto,

thank you for your message. council is in a transition. please give some
time to attend to this.

Rob Bauer (SD69)

Re: Waiting "Pending maintainer request" for Python-SymPy [ In reply to ]
> Python-SymPy is currently used by "Integral" and soon to be released
> "Derivative", "Limit" and "Power Series". I am the author of these
> softwares.

If you get one of those to the extras (from extras-testing),
python-sympy will also go to the extras.

-Aapo Rantalainen
Re: Waiting "Pending maintainer request" for Python-SymPy [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 15:47, Aapo Rantalainen
<aapo.rantalainen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Python-SymPy is currently used by "Integral" and soon to be released
>> "Derivative", "Limit" and "Power Series". I am the author of these
>> softwares.
>
> If you get one of those to the extras (from extras-testing),
> python-sympy will also go to the extras.

...as long as python-sympy isn't in "Section: user/..." - however it
doesn't sound like it should be.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@bleb.org  |  http://www.bleb.org/
Re: Waiting "Pending maintainer request" for Python-SymPy [ In reply to ]
Em 19-09-2011 11:58, Andrew Flegg escreveu:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 15:47, Aapo Rantalainen
> <aapo.rantalainen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Python-SymPy is currently used by "Integral" and soon to be released
>>> "Derivative", "Limit" and "Power Series". I am the author of these
>>> softwares.
>> If you get one of those to the extras (from extras-testing),
>> python-sympy will also go to the extras.
>
> ...as long as python-sympy isn't in "Section: user/..." - however it
> doesn't sound like it should be.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew

Hi Maemo folks,

SymPy 0.7.1 for Maemo now has an icon (pointing to
"/usr/bin/sympy") to promote the use of SymPy by the end users, with
interactive terminal with iPython or Python.

So I think that SymPy for Maemo should belong to the "user/science"
section.

Another use of SymPy is to function as the brain of "Integral",
"Derivative", etc :
http://www.robertocolistete.net/Integral/
http://www.robertocolistete.net/Derivative/
http://www.robertocolistete.net/Limit/

SymPy 0.7.1 for Maemo is huge, 13.3 MB of pure Python source code,
with many features of a full CAS (Computer Algebra Software) like
Mathematica, Maple, Maxima, etc.

By the way, I finished packaging Integral and SymPy 0.7.1 for Maemo
4 (Diablo), but SymPy 0.7.1 it is not compatible with old iPython 0.8.1
for Maemo 4, i.e., "isympy" gives errors. So I will (try to) package
iPython 0.10-2 for Maemo 4 and 5 in the following days and send it to
extras-devel.

Best regards,

Roberto
Re: Waiting "Pending maintainer request" for Python-SymPy [ In reply to ]
Problem solved. Thanks everybody !

Re: Waiting "Pending maintainer request" for Python-SymPy [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 20 September 2011 03:46:20 Roberto Colistete Jr. wrote:
> SymPy 0.7.1 for Maemo now has an icon (pointing to
> "/usr/bin/sympy") to promote the use of SymPy by the end users, with
> interactive terminal with iPython or Python.
>
> So I think that SymPy for Maemo should belong to the "user/science"
> section.
>
> Another use of SymPy is to function as the brain of "Integral",
> "Derivative", etc :

You might want to consider creating a separate package (with just the icon?)
for the user interface if there are likely to be users of Integral, etc who
are not likely to want to use SymPy directly.

But if anyone who uses Integral could be expected to also want to use SymPy
directly then making SymPy a user/ package sounds like a good idea.

Graham
Re: Waiting "Pending maintainer request" for Python-SymPy [ In reply to ]
Em 20-09-2011 05:55, Graham Cobb escreveu:
> On Tuesday 20 September 2011 03:46:20 Roberto Colistete Jr. wrote:
>> SymPy 0.7.1 for Maemo now has an icon (pointing to
>> "/usr/bin/sympy") to promote the use of SymPy by the end users, with
>> interactive terminal with iPython or Python.
>>
>> So I think that SymPy for Maemo should belong to the "user/science"
>> section.
>>
>> Another use of SymPy is to function as the brain of "Integral",
>> "Derivative", etc :
> You might want to consider creating a separate package (with just the icon?)
> for the user interface if there are likely to be users of Integral, etc who
> are not likely to want to use SymPy directly.
>
> But if anyone who uses Integral could be expected to also want to use SymPy
> directly then making SymPy a user/ package sounds like a good idea.
>
> Graham

Yes, this is the case : a typical user will use "Integral" (etc)
with a nice and easy GUI, then to reuse the result of the integral for a
sequence of calculations the user will be compelled to use SymPy directly.

I will announce SymPy 0.7.1 on Maemo.org Talk with some examples.

Best regards,

Roberto

Re: Waiting "Pending maintainer request" for Python-SymPy [ In reply to ]
Em 19-09-2011 11:47, Aapo Rantalainen escreveu:
>> Python-SymPy is currently used by "Integral" and soon to be released
>> "Derivative", "Limit" and "Power Series". I am the author of these
>> softwares.
> If you get one of those to the extras (from extras-testing),
> python-sympy will also go to the extras.
>
> -Aapo Rantalainen

Hi,

I have clicked the 'Promote package' link to promote python-sympy
to extras-testing :

http://maemo.org/packages/view/python-sympy/

It shows :

python-sympy 0.7.1-fremantle1
<http://maemo.org/packages/package_instance/view/fremantle_extras-devel_free_i386/python-sympy/0.7.1-fremantle1/>
Fremantle Extras-devel free i386 Package promoted Roberto Colistete
Jr <http://maemo.org/profile/view/rcolistete> 2011-09-21 20:35 UTC

but the next step, i.e., package appearing in Extras-testing, is not shown.

Does anybody knows what is happening ? Where I can see some error
messages ?

The instance :

http://maemo.org/packages/package_instance/view/fremantle_extras-devel_free_armel/python-sympy/0.7.1-fremantle1/

doesn't show them. Neither :

https://garage.maemo.org/builder/fremantle/python-sympy_0.7.1-fremantle1/

I am new to Maemo promoting to extras-testing, so any help is welcome.

Best regards,

Roberto