Mailing List Archive

Intention to step down from Q4 2014 election
Dear Maemonians,

As I am sure you know, I accepted my nomination for the Q4 2014 Council
election and confirmed my acceptance by email on 13 December 2014. When
I was accepting the nomination, I did not have a clear idea of all the
details involved but I accepted it with a sense of duty and with the
intention of picking it up as I go along.

Unfortunately, it had become clear to me that it was a rash decision and
that the technicalities involved may be a bit too overbearing for me at
the current stage of my professional and personal life. I highlighted
some of them in these two TMO posts:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1453699#post1453699
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1454347#post1454347

Consequently, I have decided to step down as a candidate in this term's
election.

I do realize that the timing is not the most fortunate. I first
announced my intention on 24 December, four days before the election,
but, due to technical difficulties, did not follow it up with an email
to this list until now, after the election has already started. That was
an oversight that makes me legally still a candidate.

I also realize that re-running the election for the sake of one awkward
candidate is not the ideal state of affairs. This creates a conundrum
that only I am in the position of resolving. My proposed resolution is this:

1) I remain officially a candidate, there is no need to re-run the election.
2) I appeal to voters NOT to vote for me. I believe that I have caused
enough consternation for the voters NOT to want to vote for me in the
first place but I would like to make it clear that this is also my
preference.
3) In case that despite all I do get elected, I will accept the result,
assume the post of a Councillor and try to do all that is needed to not
cause even more trouble.

My deepest apologies for all the trouble and best wishes to you all,

Peter Pichler
(pichlo)