Mailing List Archive

Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed.
On Thu 06 March 2014 03:42:09 Andrew Flegg wrote:
> On 28 February 2014 06:57, joerg Reisenweber <joerg@openmoko.org> wrote:
> > OK, you say HiFo is doing system administration on maemo servers now,
> > either you or some proxy? Fine, I'm pondering to step down from that
> > position then,
Maybe you missed the irony tags? Or did you purposely edit them out by picking
this quote without giving context?
For the record: I'm NOT fine with HiFo doing system administration. See below
for reasons, why.
And obviously 2/3 of council and all of core techstaff isn't as well. Core
techstaff (see below) actually isn't happy with how HiFo acted and still does
act, and mood is to rather stop volunteering in maemo than to participate in
what HiFo seems pushing to establish here. You already managed to alienate a
few maintainers and supporters who actually drew that consequence and
resigned.

> Joerg, on behalf of the Hildon Foundation Board, I'd like to thank you
> for your efforts in the continued operation of maemo.org since Nokia
> stepped back. Without your work, we wouldn't be here today; nor have a
> tech staff who has been able to pick up where Nemein left off.
>
> There has, unfortunately, been an air of aggravation between the
> Foundation and you for the past few months, something for which I
> don't want to ascribe any blame. The Board recognises that the
> relationship has degraded,

well, any good relations between me and HiFo never been a part of my job
description for the position as maemo administration manager. Regardless of
the lack of any 'official' mandatory relations between maemo admin manager and
HiFo, see below.

> and thinks the immediate and ongoing
> assistance you've provided with regards to maemo.org system
> administration has run its course,

You're free to think that. It's however neither relevant nor correct. See
below.

> as the tech staff team is now well
> established.

That's a severe misconception.
1) there is no "well established techstaff team", basically techstaff team
consists of three people: Xes, Falk, and me. Then we have a (much too small)
number of subsystem maintainers, like chemist (tmo) and Ivaylo (builder
complex) and Christian (repos), who are considered wider techstaff. It seems
this lack of understanding about such facts showing in HiFo's move and
statement here tells a lot about why HiFo shouldn't interfere with techstaff
duties and infra maintenance (which it nevertheless does *second* time here
and now, during a few weeks)
2) any such techstaff team basically doesn't have *any* business with HiFo -
thus *my* relation to HiFo as member and organizational lead of techstaff team
is absolutely irrelevant.
3) my role as maemo administration manager/coordinator is not only to lead
techstaff and to find and introduce new maintainers and sysops and coordinate
their activities, I'm also the one point of responsibility for "keeping the
keys", read: deciding and overseeing who gets access to maemo infra on which
level, and thus securing integrity of maemo.org and defending it from any
threat. This task isn't one that eventually is accomplished.

From a maemo community organizational perspective HiFo (or rather council and
you) once were responsible to find somebody for all those tasks, Ivan
"shanghaied" me and I got installed to take care of that. The agreement been
that only council and HiFo unanimously can accept any new position of core
techstaff (excl the subsystem maintainers which maemo admin coordinator can
appoint without their prior approval, basically because HiFo has proven own
inability to handle any such task, despite me initially insisting in them
taking responsibility instead of me), and both HiFo and council on their own
can reject appointments at the time they are forwarded to those entities for
approval, and after that they can suspend any techstaff member any time, based
on clear rationale and reason for belief made publicly accepted that a real
threat is coming from such techstaff member. When I shall step down from my
position as maemo admin manager, then regarding "how maemo works" there must
be a successor agreed upon by both HiFo and particularly council, otherwise I
CANNOT step down. (see below why not even that might suffice, regarding unclear
state of handover from Nemein to maemo community).
Even while I'm tempted to retire, considering the uncooperative and actually
incorrect and culpable behavior of HiFo, particularly Chemist, alienating and
bewildering all techstaff and rest of council by ignoring our rules for
maintenance, our concerns, and doing an unassigned sneaky stealth job
tampering with techstaff responsibility domain without discussing that publicly
or at least in official techstaff admin channels beforehand, so that at very
least techstaff could relax and delegate their duty of e.g. securing
uninterrupted backup (though again, this responsibility can't get easily
delegated). Rather HiFo comes to techstaff at large with a "don't worry"
catchphrase and abuses their position and the liberal maintenance management
to do "secret" negotiations with parts of techstaff, here talking Falk into
something he didn't even consider that it might not already have been
discussed in a normal way with rest of techstaff and council (according to what
Falk reported to me). In the end it been up to me to do the right thing to
heal this mess and ask Falk to send a info mail to all techstaff and publicly
report about that skunk work done by Chemist, in last Thuesday's council
meeting, so council and community are finally officially informed. While HiFo (as
usual) left techstaff, council, and thus community without any notice about
what's going on, denying all best common practice of teamwork and peer review
and blatantly ignoring the agreements between them and council and techstaff,
the maintenance rules, and the democratic structures in maemo community at
large.
There's been a clear agreement between HiFo and council that HiFo does NOT
deal with any technical and/or organizational aspects of infra maintenance.
Seems current HiFo and particularly Chemist doesn't care or is willing to
violate such agreement, thus putting the carefully balanced maemo
organizational structure at peril.

The communication failure and trespassing of responsibility domains is clearly
on HiFo side in this case, and I conceive this request of yours regarding my
dismissal inappropriate and in line with this communication failure of HiFo,
smelling like targeted towards a shift away from long established and
community-approved democratic structures and towards an almighty HiFo that
thinks it has the power to control everything on own discretion and not being
obliged to search for support/feedback/approval from community in their
decisions, something that community been concerned about regarding HiFo from
very beginning of discussions about HiFo foundation.
This together with recent efforts to abolish HiFo and replace it by an e.V.
that's not even been elected by community and outright denies any authority of
well established maemo council actually rises severe concerns on my side and I
can't and must not support this.

> Please can you work with the tech staff to complete any handover, and
> disable your access.
(I *am* part of techstaff, see above)

"*Complete* handover"? To *whom*? I didn't even know any handover started yet.
I don't even know of any *planned* handover. Neither do I see anybody fit for
the task (yes, a sad situation I tried to relieve but couldn't find anybody
willing to dedicate the needed amount of learning and working hours and
availability/visibility by community [and yes, acceptance in community] to it)
"Disable your access"? So you want to dismiss me not only from role as maemo
admin coordinator, but also from role as one of the techstaff sysops (and
implicitly maintainers)? That's great¡<-irony tag!> Please deliver rationale
for that step. (Not implying I'd acknowledge any power in HiFo to do so,
without public discussion)

And for the record: de jure, maemo.org still is handled by Nemein who granted
root access to Falk and me, to help in administration (soft assets). Also the
server hardware been transferred to IPHH by Nemein and with support of Nokia
(who paid for the shipping) but afaik the server isn't property of HiFo yet
since it never been handed over officially to HiFo, it either is owned by Nemein
still, or by Nokia, or maybe even by Falk who received it at IPHH.
I'm just saying this to make clear that my role as admin coordinator got
suggested by former HiFo member Ivan and _got_accepted_ by Nemein. With
accepting this duty I also accepted legal responsibility for the soft and hard
assets, and thus I can't simply hand over this role to whomever and shrug it
away, my liability for maemo safety would stay.

> We hope you'll find other ways to continue to contribute to the
> community, for which you've done so much, and - on a personal note - I
> hope we can work together in future.

Well, I dunno if you find ways to work together with techstaff in the future, I
don't even know what's been your problem in doing so during the recent past.
Anyway please note that no "working together" between techstaff and HiFo is
supposed to be part of how maemo works. HiFo is responsible for money and
contracts (to put it simple), techstaff is responsible for securing and
maintenance of the infra, and council is responsible for decisions about all
that. Any HiFo cooperation is with council. Any techstaff cooperation is with
council.

> Many thanks again,
You'll excuse my refusal to thank you for that.

> Andrew

/jOERG
(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)
Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
Joerg,

I find great humor that not two month ago you were claiming that Nokia had no
say in what happened to the servers.  When I stated that Nokia could pull back
on the servers if talks were not finished, you accused me of using fear tactics
and spreading lies. (IRC logs and forum posts are easily searchable for proof.)
Yet now you claim HiFo does not own the servers, but that Nokia/Nemein does?

You change your story to suit your current argument, reality be damned.

While I appreciate all that you've done, your actions of late have been
irrational and potentially dangerous to the community.  You demand everyone
follow rules, which is great until you start making up your own rules and then
breaking them yourself.  You have become more focused on your own control of
things than on what's best for the community.  You have convinced yourself that
your view of things is reality, even when it can be shown clearly that your
belief if wrong.

You have been the main reason for most of the aggravation caused over the past
year or so.  First you claimed it was Rob, and to some degree it was.  But one
could work with Rob IF one handled him the right way, until someone did
something childish or pissed him off.  Once Rob left, you claimed it was Me, and
started butting heads with me.  Now that I'm gone, you claim it's Chemist.  Do
you see the pattern?  How long will it take for you to look in a mirror?  Ever?
I see now why you are the last man standing in all of your past projects.  King
of old hats...

We've lost more administrators and volunteers because of your harsh nature and
immature antics than because of anything HiFo related.  This latest rant,
"ironically" threatening to stop being an admin is not the first threat you've
made.  I recall one just a month ago where you threatened to "ironically"
format/shutdown the servers.  I recall a month before that you threatening Board
members with legal action for asking clear yes/no questions in private.  I
suggest to the Board on my leaving that were I them, I would boot you on the
spot.  I repeated that when you threatened to format the servers.  Most groups
wouldn't put up with that type of behavior, even from an older community member.

Play the victim card all you want.  Maybe a noob or two in the forum will take
up your banner and route for you still, until you turn on them as you have on
most who have dealt with you.  How many friends do you have?  I'm betting most
of them are recent, and the older friends are all strangely enemies these days.

To be clear:
Your antics, and the possible legal repercussions to Board members because of
them, was one of two key factors in my leaving the Board when I did.  I didn't
want YOUR next childish tantrum, stupid act, or inability to understand basic
business practices, to wind up costing me money and time in a court or jail.

To be bluntly clear:
+ HiFo is in contact with, and working on legal issues with Nokia, not you, not
TechStaff.
+ Nokia has provided hardware to HiFo, which has *delegated* administration to
TechStaff.
+ HiFo (and currently still Nokia) has the right to rescind or change those
delegations at any time, for any reason.
| Hifo would only do so for the sake of the community (ie. someone threatening
improper behavior and acting irrationally).
+ Until the final resolution of negotiations, Nokia *CAN LEGALLY* pull back the
servers and all rights to their contents.
+ After resolution, the signing legal body (be that HiFo-US or the e.V.) will be
the legal owner, not you, not TechStaff.

At no point does TechStaff, or you alone, or Council, have *legal* standing on
ANY of the above mentioned.  Techstaff is not a legal group, having no legal
entity that can sign for or stand accountable for anything.  The only liability
you face is for your own intentional actions, and those would still first land
on the Board who may then turn to you, if your acts were intentional and
malicious.  If you *could* be held legally liable, as you claim, *you* would be
the one signing contracts with Nokia, not HiFo.  What contract did you sign with
Nemien?  None?  I thought so.

HiFo came into being to have a legal entity that could take ownership of
property on behalf of the community, be that severs, software rights, trademark
usage licenses, etc.  It was done so that no *one person* would be the sole
owner/operator/fail-point, which is what you are (wrongly) claiming you are now,
as self-proclaimed "King of Techstaff".  Were you to be hit by a bus tomorrow,
the servers would still continue to run, as would the community, as it should
be.  Nobody is irreplaceable: Not you, not me, not anyone on Council, Board, or
in the community.  That you seem to think otherwise is your own failure to
understand the nature of what's going on here.

Right now I hold a lot of pity for those on Board & Council that have to deal
with your lies, manipulation and deception.  My advice to anyone listening would
be to drop kick you away as far/fast as possible before you do any real damage,
or follow up on threats you've already made.

-Woody(14619)
Past Techstaff, Council, Board member, and co-founder of HiFo, for those who may
not know.

Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
On Fri 07 March 2014 22:31:32 Craig Woodward wrote:
> Joerg,
>
> I find great humor that not two month ago you were claiming that Nokia had
> no say in what happened to the servers. When I stated that Nokia could
> pull back on the servers if talks were not finished, you accused me of
> using fear tactics and spreading lies. (IRC logs and forum posts are
> easily searchable for proof.) Yet now you claim HiFo does not own the
> servers, but that Nokia/Nemein does?
>
> You change your story to suit your current argument, reality be damned.
>
> While I appreciate all that you've done, your actions of late have been
> irrational and potentially dangerous to the community. You demand everyone
> follow rules, which is great until you start making up your own rules and
> then breaking them yourself. You have become more focused on your own
> control of things than on what's best for the community. You have
> convinced yourself that your view of things is reality, even when it can
> be shown clearly that your belief if wrong.
>
> You have been the main reason for most of the aggravation caused over the
> past year or so. First you claimed it was Rob, and to some degree it
> was. But one could work with Rob IF one handled him the right way, until
> someone did something childish or pissed him off. Once Rob left, you
> claimed it was Me, and started butting heads with me. Now that I'm gone,
> you claim it's Chemist. Do you see the pattern? How long will it take
> for you to look in a mirror? Ever? I see now why you are the last man
> standing in all of your past projects. King of old hats...
>
> We've lost more administrators and volunteers because of your harsh nature
> and immature antics than because of anything HiFo related. This latest
> rant, "ironically" threatening to stop being an admin is not the first
> threat you've made. I recall one just a month ago where you threatened to
> "ironically" format/shutdown the servers.

You don't see a pattern by yourself, spamming lies claiming they were facts?
you say you can easily quote logs?
show the log where I said I'd format servers, asshole!

your whole funny tale is for babies

Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
> On March 7, 2014 at 7:26 PM joerg Reisenweber <joerg@openmoko.org> wrote:
>
> You don't see a pattern by yourself, spamming lies claiming they were facts?
> you say you can easily quote logs?
> show the log where I said I'd format servers, asshole!
>
> your whole funny tale is for babies

Thanks for giving me permission, legally, to share this publicly.  Find your
request attached.

Conveniently you even *signed* it digitally.  FWIW: I picked one avoiding the
core of the discussion, showing just the part mentioned, specifically to limit
the exposure of personal material.  I chose one specifically that I would not
need to alter at all, that still had reference to what I spoke of, as to not
break the signature.  There were others I could have chosen, but this was the
cleanest.

You're a hot head, Joerg.

When you're getting your way, and are given free reign to run the shop, you're
great at what you do. You've accomplished great things with Maemo, and I'm
frankly very sad about where things are now.  You should be being celebrated as
a person who helped the community a great deal when it was in it's darkest
hour.  At great personal cost, you kept things from going under at least once.
I say that with great respect, despite how you treat me now, because you deserve
that acknowledgment.

But when others don't want to follow your exact plan, you become threatening,
manipulative, and destructive.  Pretty much everyone who's been involved with
Maemo has see this, at times to the point of alienation.  I really have nothing
left to lose when it comes to things Maemo, as I have nothing invested in it
now.  But I'll be damned if I'll sit on the sidelines and watch you attack
others that have also put their ass on the line to keep thing afloat, calling
them liars, frauds, or worse, just so you can... Why are you doing this?  To
force yourself as the last man standing?

Again, thanks for allowing me to do what the Board could not, show a glimpse of
the storm going on behind the doors.

Consider again before you reply.  Your next request may not be one you want
everyone to read.

-Woody
Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
On Sat 08 March 2014 05:02:03 you wrote:
> > You don't see a pattern by yourself, spamming lies claiming they were
> > facts? you say you can easily quote logs?
> > show the log where I said I'd format servers, asshole!
> >
> > your whole funny tale is for babies
>
> Thanks for giving me permission, legally, to share this publicly. Find
> your request attached.

Fine! thought as much, you can't come up with any quote showing you're right.
Thanks for spreading lies about me, a really honest move of a ex council.

For those who missed it, check again the lies Woody spreads!
Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
I know you both, and I would not expect from you both such a thing. It's even not matter who is tight, it's about - "what it would do and where it would lead us"...

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Reply To: List for community development
Cc: List for community development; techstaff@maemo.org; council@maemo.org
Subject: Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed.

Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
On Sat 08 March 2014 05:02:03 Craig Woodward wrote:
> I picked one avoiding the
> core of the discussion,

Which been me announcing I won't continue paying for 3rd-party-provided offsite
backup service on l2 server from "own pocket" which caused you and win7mac
going mad ad me and accusing me for all sort of nonsense, form "blackmailing
HiFo" to "copyright violation" and now even "formatting servers", leave alone
the rest of your bitching like "enjoy your own little kindom", "heretic!" and
whatnot else

> showing just the part mentioned,

it shows what exactly? me threatening you with formatting the servers? Read
again!

> specifically to
> limit the exposure of personal material.

So much common sense, and yet so devastating to community at large

> I chose one specifically that I
> would not need to alter at all,

Which luckily you didn't so everybody can see for themselves that you were not
able to support your own claim.

BTW didn't it ever occur to you that those who are concerned most about maemo
infra by definition of their job, our sysops, *never* had any concerns
regarding my allegedly so weird mindset like the made up nonsense you come up
with here and now? Maybe use this fact for your own local reality check.

Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
I beg you both to stop.

Cc: List for community development; techstaff@maemo.org; council@maemo.org

Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
Am 07.03.2014 02:19, schrieb joerg Reisenweber:
> On 28 February 2014 06:57, joerg Reisenweber <joerg@openmoko.org> wrote:
>> OK, you say HiFo is doing system administration on maemo servers now,
>> either you or some proxy? Fine, I'm pondering to step down from that
>> position then,
> Maybe you missed the irony tags? Or did you purposely edit them out by picking
> this quote without giving context?
There were no tags in original mail. No irony, only the idle threat to
step down.
Jaffa did not edit or pick this quote without giving context. Turns out
this is just another false accusation that shows how trustworthy you
are. We just didn't want to wait for you to step down, we had to react
to his statement. Now it seems you have changed your mind - showing off
what a turncoat you are that basically does whatever he feels like.

> For the record: I'm NOT fine with HiFo doing system administration.
Since that would mean you'd have to relinquish your position, probably not.

> And obviously 2/3 of council and all of core techstaff isn't as well. Core
> techstaff (see below) actually isn't happy with how HiFo acted and still does
> act, and mood is to rather stop volunteering in maemo than to participate in
> what HiFo seems pushing to establish here.
So far, I only heard your rants. Are you making generalisations for
other people here? - Who exactly is against HiFo as an organization?
You know HiFo is not happy with the issues it had in the past. And you
know much of that was because of a single former director that left
board long ago, but still, regardless of that, you're trying to
discredit Hifo in general and it's directors in special.
What HiFo in fact is pushing to establish here is a complete new start
with a different organization level, that includes everybody involved.
Nothing less, nothing more.

> You already managed to alienate a few maintainers and supporters who actually drew that consequence and resigned.
Please elaborate, who exactly got alienated or resigned for which
reasons. And was this really in relation to any of todays' directors?
And even if so, what does that say about the HiFo e.V.?
What I do see though is that you keep on bashing HiFo, sabotage the
transition towards the e.V. and encourage others, esp. techstaff to do
the same by putting up false and misleading claims. You are ignoring
several circumstances here:
1) The e.V. will be very different to what HiFo used to be, it is not
meant to continue what we have or had. Instead, it's a chance to start
all over again and the approach is to have everybody actively involved
in the boat, and not left outside. What good is an organisation where
certain people in key positions don't feel obliged to its' standards?
2) 3 of 4 todays' directors will not be part of the new board
3) the General Assembly, not the board of directors, will be the highest
jurisdiction in the e.V.
4) positions of maintainers and supporters will be strengthened by #3)
The weight of their voice and vote will increase massively.
5) You simply refused to contribute to the bylaws, nota bene as a native
speaker, and rejected the chance to form them accordingly to what you
seem appropriate.
I really wonder why you come up with this just before we are about to
launch. It's obvious to me that you rather prefer to see HiFo as an
organization go haywire (and presumably inherit maemo leadership), than
to move an inch.

> well, any good relations between me and HiFo never been a part of my job
> description for the position as maemo administration manager.
This seems to be the major disaccord here. Inability or unwillingness to
keep good relations is not a basis to have people in key positions really.

> Regardless of the lack of any 'official' mandatory relations between maemo admin manager and HiFo, see below.
See #Merkel on #Putin in #Crimea crisis: "in another world"... Who the
hell you think you are?
HiFo gave Council the ability to approve maintainers in part because
Council was more responsive. This was done at a time when above
mentioned, long gone single former director was on the Board, and things
went unanswered for weeks to months (even from other Board members).
HiFo is the legal owner of the systems. It alone has the legal right and
responsibility to maintain them. It can hand part of that duty out via
delegation, but it may rescind or override that delegation at any point
from a legal stand point.

>> and thinks the immediate and ongoing assistance you've provided with regards to maemo.org system administration has run its course,
> You're free to think that. It's however neither relevant nor correct. See
> below.
See above.

>> as the tech staff team is now well established.
> That's a severe misconception.
> 1) ...HiFo shouldn't interfere with techstaff duties and infra maintenance
Thanks again for reminding us how blatantly you are ignoring the
difference between duty and responsibility.

> 2) any such techstaff team basically doesn't have *any* business with HiFo -
> thus *my* relation to HiFo as member and organizational lead of techstaff team
> is absolutely irrelevant.
See above.

> 3) my role as maemo administration manager/coordinator is not only to lead
> techstaff and to find and introduce new maintainers and sysops and coordinate
> their activities, I'm also the one point of responsibility for "keeping the
> keys", read: deciding and overseeing who gets access to maemo infra on which
> level, and thus securing integrity of maemo.org and defending it from any
> threat. This task isn't one that eventually is accomplished.
Your role as maemo administration manager/coordinator not only went to
your head, it also isn't desired at all to have one single person
resposible for this, that's why we have an organization.

> ...the democratic structures in maemo community at large...
> ...the carefully balanced maemo organizational structure...
> ...long established community-approved democratic structures and towards an almighty HiFo that thinks it has the power to control everything...
Initially, things never were planned like this. It is a rudiment of the
inability of HiFo and council to find a mutual consent back then. But it
is, of course, the aim of any organization to handle such stuff within
the organizational structure and not outside of it. That's what
organizations are there for, isn't it?
With the e.V., we are aiming to fix this obvious flaw and include
everybody holding a position in the organization as that is the only
reasonable thing to do. Just because this didn't happen so far, it
doesn't mean it's a bad thing to do or even an argument to continue with
this unclear situation, especially not in a new organization.
And of course we're not aiming towards an "almighty HiFo blabla..." if
that refers to the board of directors. This is just another too obvious
attempt to discredit HiFo in general and its' directors in special.

> Anyway please note that no "working together" between techstaff and
> HiFo is supposed to be part of how maemo works. HiFo is responsible
> for money and contracts (to put it simple), techstaff is responsible
> for securing and maintenance of the infra, and council is responsible
> for decisions about all that. Any HiFo cooperation is with council.
> Any techstaff cooperation is with council.
Repeating this senseless crap that council activity happens outside of
HiFo doesn't make it any better. And logically, HiFo is *not*
responsible for paying anything that happens outside of its' organization.

> Fine! thought as much, you can't come up with any quote showing you're right.
This is the line that Woody refers to:
> Prepare for infra going down. I'm done with this shit.
Now everybody make up your own mind how much you want to depend on one
single admin (with a tendency to choleric blowouts) that doesn't feel
obliged to anything.

Regards

--
Gido Griese/Win7Mac
Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
> [...]

See #Merkel on #Putin in #Crimea crisis: "in another world"... Who the
hell you think you are?
HiFo gave Council the ability to approve maintainers in part because
Council was more responsive. This was done at a time when above
mentioned, long gone single former director was on the Board, and things
went unanswered for weeks to months (even from other Board members).
HiFo is the legal owner of the systems. It alone has the legal right and
responsibility to maintain them. It can hand part of that duty out via
delegation, but it may rescind or override that delegation at any point
from a legal stand point.

>> and thinks the immediate and ongoing assistance you've provided with regards to maemo.org system administration has run its course,
> You're free to think that. It's however neither relevant nor correct. See

See above.

>> as the tech staff team is now well established.
> That's a severe misconception.
> 1) ...HiFo shouldn't interfere with techstaff duties and infra maintenance

Thanks again for reminding us how blatantly you are ignoring the
difference between duty and responsibility.

> 2) any such techstaff team basically doesn't have *any* business with HiFo -
> thus *my* relation to HiFo as member and organizational lead of techstaff team
> is absolutely irrelevant.

See above.

Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
On Sat 08 March 2014 16:05:05 Gido Griese wrote:
> Am 07.03.2014 02:19, schrieb joerg Reisenweber:
> > On 28 February 2014 06:57, joerg Reisenweber <joerg@openmoko.org> wrote:
> >> OK, you say HiFo is doing system administration on maemo servers now,
> >> either you or some proxy? Fine, I'm pondering to step down from that
> >> position then,
> >
> > Maybe you missed the irony tags? Or did you purposely edit them out by
> > picking this quote without giving context?
>
> There were no tags in original mail. No irony, only the idle threat to
> step down.
> Jaffa did not edit or pick this quote without giving context. Turns out
> this is just another false accusation that shows how trustworthy you
> are. We just didn't want to wait for you to step down, we had to react
> to his statement. Now it seems you have changed your mind - showing off
> what a turncoat you are that basically does whatever he feels like.

Mhm, and your above thread is absolutely logical and the equation "I ponder
to"=="I'm going to" is generally OK? When you don't see the irony in "HiFo is
doing system administration on maemo servers now" which is neither announced
nor supposed to work, then I can't help you out. The logical link between
"HiFo does admin" and "I'm pondering to step down" is the key here, and I call
that a perfect ironical statement.
And again a note on your tone: you think " showing off what a turncoat you are"
is helping normalizing the mood and "relations" between HiFo and me? Maybe in
line with your "you're blackmailing HiFo" accusation?

> > For the record: I'm NOT fine with HiFo doing system administration.
>
> Since that would mean you'd have to relinquish your position, probably not.

Not at all, I'm not happy with wasting my time and nerves on this shitty
position that gets me nothing but bitching from your side. My concern is about
HiFo's incompetence yet HiFo thinks they can do everything they want. See
below for more on that...

> > And obviously 2/3 of council and all of core techstaff isn't as well.
> > Core techstaff (see below) actually isn't happy with how HiFo acted and
> > still does act, and mood is to rather stop volunteering in maemo than to
> > participate in what HiFo seems pushing to establish here.
>
> So far, I only heard your rants.

That's because rest of techstaff isn't even inclined to talk to HiFo anymore, I
guess. This is all so terribly annoyingly silly and useless, I wonder why and
where I found motivation to continue on it, by e.g answering this mail.

> Are you making generalisations for
> other people here?

No.

> - Who exactly is against HiFo as an organization?

Who said "against HiFo as an organization"?
To help you out, I'll quote myself: >>Core techstaff (see below) actually isn't
happy with how HiFo acted<< Another one of your equations?
Please be more precise in your questions and argumentation!

> You know HiFo is not happy with the issues it had in the past. And you
> know much of that was because of a single former director that left
> board long ago, but still, regardless of that, you're trying to
> discredit Hifo in general

I do? Isn't it HiFo themselves who act in a way that discredits them?

> and it's directors in special.
> What HiFo in fact is pushing to establish here is a complete new start
> with a different organization level, that includes everybody involved.
> Nothing less, nothing more.
>
> > You already managed to alienate a few maintainers and supporters who
> > actually drew that consequence and resigned.
>
> Please elaborate, who exactly got alienated or resigned for which
> reasons.

I leave it up to those who did, to speak up publicly.

> And was this really in relation to any of todays' directors?

Nobody said that. I said HiFo's recent actions taken alienated maintainer(s).

> And even if so, what does that say about the HiFo e.V.?

Probably nothing since we haven't seen this thing happen yet.
nobody said it had any relation to HiFo. Agian, it been caused by HiFo's
current activities.

> What I do see though is that you keep on bashing HiFo, sabotage the
> transition towards the e.V. and encourage others, esp. techstaff to do
> the same by putting up false and misleading claims.

Mhm, could you elaborate now?

> You are ignoring
> several circumstances here:
> 1) The e.V. will be very different to what HiFo used to be, it is not
> meant to continue what we have or had. Instead, it's a chance to start
> all over again and the approach is to have everybody actively involved
> in the boat, and not left outside. What good is an organisation where
> certain people in key positions don't feel obliged to its' standards?
> 2) 3 of 4 todays' directors will not be part of the new board
> 3) the General Assembly, not the board of directors, will be the highest
> jurisdiction in the e.V.
> 4) positions of maintainers and supporters will be strengthened by #3)
> The weight of their voice and vote will increase massively.
> 5) You simply refused to contribute to the bylaws, nota bene as a native
> speaker, and rejected the chance to form them accordingly to what you
> seem appropriate.

All of the above can get implicitly commented with my next line:

> I really wonder why you come up with this just before we are about to
> launch. It's obvious to me that you rather prefer to see HiFo as an
> organization go haywire (and presumably inherit maemo leadership),

there *IS NOT LEADERSHIP TO INHERIT FROM HIFO* and that you think there would
be is pretty much showing the whole misery and relativates all of the above
shiny statements.
HiFo IS NOT leader of maemo. When there's an entity leading HiFo then that's
maemo council, NOT HiFo. This got established by community, on several
referenda, years ago.

> than
> to move an inch.

As a maemo council member I'm bound to council rules and mustn't "move an
inch"

> > well, any good relations between me and HiFo never been a part of my job
> > description for the position as maemo administration manager.
>
> This seems to be the major disaccord here. Inability or unwillingness to
> keep good relations is not a basis to have people in key positions really.

Mhm, and your very post demonstrates your effort and qualification to keep "good
relations" to maemo council and techstaff lead, right?

> > Regardless of the lack of any 'official' mandatory relations between
> > maemo admin manager and HiFo, see below.
>
> See #Merkel on #Putin in #Crimea crisis: "in another world"... Who the
> hell you think you are?

What the hell do you say? And what the hell do you think HiFo is? See above.

> HiFo gave Council the ability to approve maintainers in part because
> Council was more responsive. This was done at a time when above
> mentioned, long gone single former director was on the Board, and things
> went unanswered for weeks to months (even from other Board members).
> HiFo is the legal owner of the systems.

Prove this!

> It alone has the legal right and
> responsibility to maintain them. It can hand part of that duty out via
> delegation, but it may rescind or override that delegation at any point
> from a legal stand point.

Legal like what? Where's your document showing you have *any* saying in maemo
infra? And what makes you think any agreements between council and HiFo done
on anticipatory assumption of future ownership of maemo infra by Hifo are now
up to HiFo's arbitrary discretion to cancel or change them, or ignore them?
again that absolutism about "leadership"?

> >> and thinks the immediate and ongoing assistance you've provided with
> >> regards to maemo.org system administration has run its course,
> >
> > You're free to think that. It's however neither relevant nor correct. See
> > below.
>
> See above.

ditto.

> >> as the tech staff team is now well established.
> >
> > That's a severe misconception.
> > 1) ...HiFo shouldn't interfere with techstaff duties and infra
> > maintenance
>
> Thanks again for reminding us how blatantly you are ignoring the
> difference between duty and responsibility.

Aha. Maybe we need Miriam webster? Duty is "doing a task" (which HiFo did when
establishing this new offsite backup without even informing council and
techstaff at large about it), responsibility is about being liable and in
charge to decide.
I don't think *I* am mixing up things here.

> > 2) any such techstaff team basically doesn't have *any* business with
> > HiFo - thus *my* relation to HiFo as member and organizational lead of
> > techstaff team is absolutely irrelevant.
>
> See above.

ditto.

> > 3) my role as maemo administration manager/coordinator is not only to
> > lead techstaff and to find and introduce new maintainers and sysops and
> > coordinate their activities, I'm also the one point of responsibility
> > for "keeping the keys", read: deciding and overseeing who gets access to
> > maemo infra on which level, and thus securing integrity of maemo.org and
> > defending it from any threat. This task isn't one that eventually is
> > accomplished.
>
> Your role as maemo administration manager/coordinator not only went to
> your head, it also isn't desired at all to have one single person
> resposible for this, that's why we have an organization.

Dream on. None in techstaff is willing to discuss with "an organization" about
any technical aspects. Nor have I seen any of HiFo doing *any* effort to
introduce new maintainers. And how exactly do you think an organization shall
handle permissions on a unix system? will you all use same account and same
password? What's your idea of infra maintenance based on? As explained before
and above, techstaff at large isn't willing to work with HiFo on that level. It
didn't even work on a abstract decision level despite *me* originally
insisting in that, so the agreement been that HiFo keeps out of anything but
appointment of sysops
And honestly, you are showing off clearly here that HiFo lacks knowledge and
experience to do anything in maintenance. In short: you're not qualified. Not
even to consider any conditions that would establish an end of a certain
technical or organizational role in maintenance.

> > ...the democratic structures in maemo community at large...
> > ...the carefully balanced maemo organizational structure...
> > ...long established community-approved democratic structures and towards
> > an almighty HiFo that thinks it has the power to control everything...
>
> Initially, things never were planned like this. It is a rudiment of the
> inability of HiFo and council to find a mutual consent back then. But it
> is, of course, the aim of any organization to handle such stuff within
> the organizational structure and not outside of it. That's what
> organizations are there for, isn't it?

That's a vast generalization, an organization to handle contracts and assets
isn't supposed to deal with IT maintenance - that's the whole point. HiFo is
maemo community's cashier, no more no less. Are you suggesting the cashier of
any arbitrary organization is supposed to play sysop?

> With the e.V., we are aiming to fix this obvious flaw and include
> everybody holding a position in the organization as that is the only
> reasonable thing to do. Just because this didn't happen so far, it
> doesn't mean it's a bad thing to do or even an argument to continue with
> this unclear situation, especially not in a new organization.

This is obviously true and a sane approach, however maemo council is the older
and superior "authority" and neither HiFo nor any e.V. can ignore or abolish
it, no matter for what purpose.

> And of course we're not aiming towards an "almighty HiFo blabla..." if
> that refers to the board of directors. This is just another too obvious
> attempt to discredit HiFo in general and its' directors in special.

This is just another silly statement to discredit me and the concerns againt
how HiFo acts and where it heads to. See above "LEADERSHIP" wider topic.

> > Anyway please note that no "working together" between techstaff and
> > HiFo is supposed to be part of how maemo works. HiFo is responsible
> > for money and contracts (to put it simple), techstaff is responsible
> > for securing and maintenance of the infra, and council is responsible
> > for decisions about all that. Any HiFo cooperation is with council.
> > Any techstaff cooperation is with council.
>
> Repeating this senseless crap that council activity happens outside of
> HiFo doesn't make it any better.

Again tone! Show me the statement that says "coucil is part of HiFo, is acting
inside HiFo and is 'lesser' than HiFo"

> And logically, HiFo is *not*
> responsible for paying anything that happens outside of its' organization.

Aha! Please read your own foundation bylaws.

> > Fine! thought as much, you can't come up with any quote showing you're
> > right.
>
> This is the line that Woody refers to:
> > Prepare for infra going down. I'm done with this shit.
>
> Now everybody make up your own mind how much you want to depend on one
> single admin (with a tendency to choleric blowouts) that doesn't feel
> obliged to anything.

You're again showing off that you have no idea how administration works. I
myself took care that maemo infra is not depending on any single person.
You're free to check back with Falk and Xes to get confirmation on this.
And when somebody of your qualification would be going to maintain an infra
like maemo, I consider an advice like "prepare for infra going down" a rather
reasonable and justified one.
I give you the "tendency to choleric blowouts", I'm actually sometimes not
able to stay calm when i have to deal with nonsense and foolish behavior like
we see in here. Which doesn't imply I'd act similarly foolish, my power of
reasoning isn't impaired by any moods.
I feel obliged to community who elected me as council member, to council
rules, and first and foremost to keeping maemo infra safe and defend it against
threats from outside, no matter if those threats are originating in any other
maemo associated entity or somewhere unrelated to maemo at large.

BR
Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
On Sat 08 March 2014 17:20:41 joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> > And even if so, what does that say about the HiFo e.V.?
>
> Probably nothing since we haven't seen this thing happen yet.
> nobody said it had any relation to *e.V*. Agian, it been caused by HiFo's
> current activities.
Sorry for the mixing up, it starts getting confusing with all that mess around
HiFo and directors of HiFo and past and current and future e.V. HiFo.

Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
Hello Community,

where do I start with?

A bit over a year ago one of HiFo asked Joerg Reisenweber to become
Administration Supervisor.

While starting off with the initial move of the infra Nokia asked Nemein to buy
for HiFo and transfer it to IPHH, his duties included to find a fit for any
sysop position the maemo.org infra needs. Making sure that the lights do not
turn off.

Wherever he could not find anyone to maintain a service he started to work at it
himself, sure he had not to ask anyone for access or tell anyone that for now he
is maintaining a service. He was also not shy about it and from time to time he
found someone who had a look at a service or even took over maintenance. No-one
questioned it and as a fast learner Joerg became experienced and a true bless to
the community infra.

Shortly after the move we had some backup issues and an account to l2 was
offered to me to backup talk.maemo.org. From all over the community people
started to make private backups of everything Nokia was gonna shutdown in the
next months and I was aware of that this also happened on l2.
I happened to recognize this server to be skeiron.org, that time this did not
mean anything to me. Shortly after the backup-system on maemo.org servers
themselves were made available, our main sysadmin moved the talk.maemo.org
backups to the "in-house" backup-service and I deleted the backups left from l2.

That was some time mid of last year where the additional disks were bought by
Joerg with funding from several community members, iirc reinob and woody(Craig
Woodward) paid most of it but I can't tell as this has not been handled properly
ever since. Recently, Joerg offered to sell those drives for 20eur to HiFo
stating that those drives do belong to the Maemo Community already but to make
them HiFo's we need to pay. HiFo admitted that this was handled absolutely wrong
in the past.

Also just recently, Craig Woodward stepped down from his position as Secretary
of HiFo's Board of Directors. You probably ask yourself how this is related?
Joerg was accused of funding skeiron.org as our named backup-server, this came
up as Gido asked about it, not knowing that he just hit a hornets' nest. This
called another shitstorm in talk.m.o and on several mail-bounces.

Later on, Joerg expressed that without paying for the backup-service anonymous
is providing us with, that maemo.org was at serious risk. He explained to us
that he will shutdown l2 if we do not come up with a regular payment plan.
I checked with Joerg about the backup and what was needed in terms of
requirements and I also asked techstaff about the same details and found out
that Joerg exaggerated approx. 100%. That is when I actually found out that
Joerg is not paying any backup-service our main sysop knows of. Somewhere in
between I checked if I still have access to l2 (while chatting with Joerg on
IRC) and I had, there were VMimage-backups dated a year ago so no current backup
(just recently I was made aware of that the VM images are the ones Nemein
transfered initially) of those and no maemo.org backups. I can be wrong but the
visible parts were not our backup to me and as I checked with techstaff whom I
made aware of those left VM-images (at that point I did not know what kind of
images they are and so did the one from techstaff), we had nothing there.

In the meantime,
we were offered a sponsored backup-server meeting our requirements, which then
got delayed and we wanted to make sure that Joerg does not shutdown anything we
might need as we were unsure if it is even l2 he is talking about or another
service he never told anyone about.
Then I found out that it is already about the month after next as Jussi already
paid the next month some days ago. Once we got the server, I tried to reach
Joerg on IRC where I never got a response and he claims to never have gotten
anything (this might be related to the fact that he has several clients online).

At this point, it was already decided that HiFo is going to dismiss Joerg and if
not need be not pay him money for a backup-service.

I made the remaining councilor aware of the change of the backup-system but in
fear of shutdown I kept Joerg out of the loop. So basically, our main sysop who
is in charge of the backups, 2 of three councilors and the board knew about the
new backup-server. I have never seen anyone making such a mess about a change in
services but well it was us not paying him for a service he did not want to
properly request funds for and were expecting him to fund illegal activity. That
is the actual key point as in USA/PA you are held liable if you even suspect
criminal intentions or illegal activities and did not do anything about it (iirc
one of the reasons why Craig quit).

I have to admit, that HiFo did not get things straight, but we are trying to
get things right, clean up the mess what was left from broken negotiations,
undocumented negotiations and transfer of ownership. But this takes more time
than we like but Nokia is in the move and not as responsive over the last four
months.

If Joerg has support from the majority of techstaff and another councilor and
wants to take over he might be lucky and have him self a community infrastructure
with servers for free. (He never said that in this way but he questioned the
need for HiFo in the first place)

This is usually the part where people try to limit damages as a community must
not be in the hands of a single person or a single persons interests. We tried
to and this public email conversation is the result. Joerg got a thank-you
email, was asked to handover and that his access-rights to the maemo.org infra
be revoked when done. That was the actual job description, find someone who can
move and maintain servers, find maintainers for the services, keep maemo.org
alive and retire when everything is settled.

If you still think that HiFo has no say in who is maintaining maemo.org infra
and still support Joerg's appeal, you might consider founding a NPO now and take
over.

Respectfully
Ruediger Schiller

Chem|st
HiFo Maemo Councilor & HiFo Director

PS Neither myself nor any other Member of the Hildon Foundation asked to be the
replacement for Joerg, yet.
Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
Hi everyone,

Could we please stop bickering and behave like adults again?

I know that not everything went optimal during the last year, with HiFo being a bit unresponsive on urgent tasks during the server move. But threats from both sides help nobody keeping infrastructure running.

I can see the goals Rüdiger and Gido have in mind with the new e.V., putting everything under one jurisdiction. This completely avoids the mess we had as there would be clear responsibilities who gets to decide what would be done.

We _all_ have the same goal, to keep this community alive, despite the hardware getting old and worn. We should use our time to further that goal, not keeping us up with who took whose toys away.

I can completely understand chemist's point of view regarding the backup server and also Joerg, who had/has the job of keeping everything running. They are both valid, but it seems that personal issues have come into the way.

Also I see woody's point in not wanting to deal with actions possibly putting him into jail. The US of A apparently has a complete different understanding regarding foundations than Germany has. I wouldn't risk my personal life for a community that keeps constantly fighting instead of bringing things forward.

www.maemo.org is an utter mess, nobody understands what the CMS there is doing and why it behaves that way. The only things I currently see functional are the wiki, talk, builder and the repos. Midgard is running on autopilot for nearly a year and is falling apart. Garage nearly looks the same.

I think a good way of directing our energies is towards the development of a sane organizational structure with clear responsibilities defined and then trying to actually build a new infrastructure which can support us for the next coming years. Neo900 probably wants a community and software.

If we keep up with arguing, we can alienate most of the community aka our "customers". Community pays for infrastructure running with donations, and our job should be to give a working infrastructure to the community. Not wasting time discussing who failed at putting things to work in the past time.

We are all not professionals in what we do for the community and we are all not perfect. So maybe we should be more forgiving and not pointing fingers at everyone making a mistake and discussing the mistake for ages and putting oil into the fire.

I'm tired of flaming, so before hitting reply, stand a bit back and think how we can all solve the issues we have.

just my 2 cents,

Falk

--
We reject kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in rough consensus and running code.

Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 09:02 +0100, Falk Stern wrote:
> If we keep up with arguing, we can alienate most of the community aka
> our "customers".

Alienation is not initially caused by the discussion getting public,
alienation is the reason why the discussion took and takes place.

It's about defining which behavior to consider hostile, unconstructive
or potentially poisonous for the community, and what to do about it.

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Bugmaster
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
> On March 8, 2014 at 11:20 AM joerg Reisenweber <joerg@openmoko.org> wrote:
>
> > HiFo gave Council the ability to approve maintainers in part because
> > Council was more responsive. This was done ...
>
> Prove this!
>

> > It alone has the legal right and responsibility to maintain them.
>
> Legal like what? Where's your document showing you have *any* saying in maemo
> infra?

I was planning to not reply to this chain again, but this is a rather important
item.

You claim HiFo does not own the severs, but that you have some right to them?
The fact that you are challenging this is frankly enough in my eyes to merit
your removal as sysadmin.

YOU YOURSELF in the past have acknowledged that the sever transfer was from
Nokia/Nemiem to HiFo.  And that your position was granted to you by HiFo.  Yet
now you ask for proof, claiming we're making it all up.  Trying to change the
story to fit your narrative.  I offer to you as proof your own e-mail on the
subject.  This time as links to this very mailing list, so that anyone can
verify it's not part of me "making up fairy stories".

Here, you acknowledge that your position as system admin was granted you by
HiFo, you saying:
>Board decided they need a chief admin, and appointed me for that position

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/2012-December/005821.html

Here, you react negatively when you are reminded that while you were given a
sysadmin role, you would not be the person in charge of TMO or management of all
parts of the systems, but rather as a general manager of those who would
administer it.  The Board decided (rightly, IMHO) to split that duty
specifically to prevent a "one man show" in system administration.  You make a
comment reminiscent of the current ones, quoting the e-mail as part of your
reply:

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/2012-December/005822.html

Here, you note that the servers are being transferred to HiFo's ownership from
Nemien, you saying:
>Since you (board) are inheriting those new servers today or tomorrow anyway, it
>is ...

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/2012-December/005823.html

And a month before all this, a posting from then Board director Ivan (ivgalvez)
indicating that HiFo was in the process and in negotiation with Nokia and Nemien
to handle hand-over of servers and other items to HiFo, to hold on behalf of the
community.

http://maemo.org/community/board/nokia_to_provide_support_in_migration_of_maemo-org_services/

FWIW:  Reggie also handed off the rights to TMO to HiFo as well, as it was the
only legal entity to hand them off to.  It was done with the understanding that
HiFo would observe the required laws on user information confidentiality, and
maintain the forum for the community, which to date it has done and will
continue to do.  Those obligations will be passed to the .e.V., should it form.
And before you scream "community property", there are legal obligations there
that a "community" can not legally hold, at minimal on laws relating to transfer
and handling of confidential user information.

The servers were in fact transferred to HiFo from Nokia, with the express
understanding that they were CONTINGENT on a resolution of negotiations on the
legal transfer of all rights needed by HiFo to operate Maemo going forward.
This was why I had concerns about that process not finishing, since Nokia could
in fact pull them back if negotiations do not finish (despite your claims
counter to such).  Right now, Nokia legally still owns these servers, and has
allowed HiFo to house/access/administer them while negotiations are ongoing.
HiFo asked for volunteers to form a technical team to administer those servers,
and after vetting, instructed Nemien (via Nokia) to grant them access to these
machines.  So yes, legally, Nokia COULD pull them back, and HiFo CAN change who
is a current administrator.

The fact that HiFo delegated some of that power to Council, or anyone else, does
not give you (or anyone) the right to walk off with the servers.  If a community
center were to give you the keys to open/close a building for your club, would
that give you the right to take things from the building, or use it for your own
personal affairs outside the club activity?  No.  Why you assume this to be the
case for Maemo servers is beyond me, and frankly is a dangerous way of thinking.

Anyway, I hope this clarifies your need for proof, and the proof required by the
community.  I also hope this put this nonsensical "issue" of who owns the
servers to bed once and for all.

-Woody
Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
From the whole conversation (minus personal attacks), we have a clear picture of one person having too much control over Maemo infrastructure, paired with unresponsible/unpredictable behavior.

Cutting the "whose fault it is" part, the real question is: Can Community fix it now, or Maemo infra got practically "hijacked" by said person beyond recovery? If the former is true, what exactly can be done, and who can do it, to reclaim control over infra for community?

Sincerely,
/Estel
Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
On Tue 11 March 2014 05:02:46 Craig Woodward wrote:
> The servers were in fact transferred to HiFo from Nokia, with the express

The servers were transferred from Nemein to IPHH by UPS(?) paid by Nokia.
Nemein granted Falk and me access to their own infra (XEN grid, migration#1)
before any such server transfer happened.

> understanding that they were CONTINGENT on a resolution of negotiations on
> the legal transfer of all rights needed by HiFo to operate Maemo going
> forward.
And? What's the status of such negotiations?

> This was why I had concerns about that process not finishing,
> since Nokia could in fact pull them back if negotiations do not finish

Exactly.

> (despite your claims counter to such).

Nope, I don't think I ever did. I think my words were "are owned by Nokia,
Nemein, or even Falk, depending on what's been written in delivery papers and
who holds the complete documents for the server iron"

> Right now, Nokia legally still
> owns these servers, and has allowed HiFo to house/access/administer them
> while negotiations are ongoing.

Hey, where's the damn problem then? Show me the letter from Nokia where this
is written and we *all* are much happier!

> HiFo asked for volunteers to form a
> technical team to administer those servers, and after vetting, instructed
> Nemien (via Nokia) to grant them access to these machines. So yes,
> legally, Nokia COULD pull them back, and HiFo CAN change who is a current
> administrator.

This proves pretty comprehensive your own confusion and your inability to read
my statements as what they are saying. The answer is simple: you say HiFo
instructed Nokia to instruct Nemein to grant Falk and me root access to the
server. Then please do same to change the root permissions, withdraw them from
Falk and me and grant them to you directly. Since I have no proof for your
claim that *you instructed Nokia*, I'm not liable and bound to orders from
you but to Nemein, until you provide a document that makes clear you own the
servers now - like, back in 2012, I anticipated you would do soon, but afaik
you failed to negoatiate that so far. So much for the de jure status.
Thanks for these clear words of yours.

And no worries, nobody is "walk[ing] off with the servers" (nobody except maybe
Falk even *could*), they'll stay where they are and will probably keep
running. Despite your fuzzy ideas about what's happening inside techstaff, I'm
not touching them since several months, I never did to the amount you and
others suggested here, and
*my role* in techstaff is simply that of the *keyholder* and a *service* *to*
our first and second *sysops* Falk and Xes who receive suggestions from me whom
to grant which accounts and access on which servers, so they don't have to
negotiate that with whomever or take the responsibility for new maintainers
themselves. It's also my duty to report to HiFo and council about any such
changes in techstaff, which I always diligently did so far. Our sysops are not
inclined to do that tedious task themselves.
Anyway your silly idea/nightmare of me as a single point of failure and a
danger to the maemo infra and operation is exactly what I always massively
acted to avoid coming true, by sharing everything I do in the channel designed
for that (you now it: ##maemo-admin) and by clearly leaving final
responsibility for technical management of servers to our two main sysops (who
both consider me as one of them in that I have access to the servers -
implicitly by "holding the keys" - but I always did step back from any major
sysop tasks due to my lesser qualification and I try to never interfere with
their duties). Au contraire they give me instructions when it comes to
handling technical details, while I do what a coordinator/manager does:
keeping the loose ends together and introducing new staff to them. On the other
hand they ask me which permissions a new maintainer needs, on which servers.
So I'm not a single point of failure but maybe the single point of
information, which HiFo seems to completely miss to understand. Techstaff is
organized in a way that creates maximum redundancy and peer review. Except for
tmo, whose maintainer til today failed to consider the several requests to
install a proper proxy for him who could take over when said maintainer gets
hit by a bus. And who constantly refuses to use the proper dedicated channels
(##maemo-admin) to coordinate any issues with his techstaff peers.
Again: sysops ask me who's going to get which accounts/permissions, and
answering that is the single most important and pretty much the only task I
do, and I got assigned exactly that task, officially by HiFo (despite it's
questionable if they could do that at that point in time since they didn't own
the servers yet, as woody explained above), and implicitly by Nemein who
granted root access to maemo infra to me and Falk. *You* could ask them sysops
to stop that practice of asking me about accounts/permissions. I don't see
other ways to do the requested obscure "handover" HiFo expects me to do.
"handover" of what? To whom? Whom are the sysops going to ask when you "kicked
me"?
And btw sysops already said they don't see a reason to remove my accounts from
the servers, they seem not concerned at all about me doing anything rogue in
my implicit role as junior/standin admin. They however see damage done by HiFo
approaching techstaff with silly "orders". HiFo seems not content with the way
maemo administration is organized and working right now, however they request
obscure "handover" and don't suggest an alternative to the way things are
working now. That's a pretty destructive approach and I don't see it helping
anybody, thus I'm not supporting it.

/j

Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
On Tue 11 March 2014 05:02:46 Craig Woodward wrote:
> Here, you react negatively when you are reminded that while you were given
> a sysadmin role, you would not be the person in charge of TMO or
> management of all parts of the systems, but rather as a general manager of
> those who would administer it. The Board decided (rightly, IMHO) to split
> that duty specifically to prevent a "one man show" in system
> administration. You make a comment reminiscent of the current ones,
> quoting the e-mail as part of your reply:
>
> http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/2012-December/005822.html

This whole section is again an example for what I call made up fairy tales.
let me go through it point by point, though I'd much prefer to answer same way
I did back when: "I dunno how to comment on that"

*) I don't see me reacting negatively
*) I wasn't given a sysadmin role - my role been and still is maemo admin
manager (defined as "holding the keys", responsible to decide who's getting
access to the quite precious assets of privacy data on maemo) & maemo admin
coordinator (defined as the one guy who gets the flames when party A does
announced action X that possibly conflicts with activity of party B - like Falk
planned to do updates and thus downtime, while elections been in progress)
*) I never claimed I'm "the person in charge of TMO or management of all parts
of the systems" - I had outright rejected that as impossible to accomplish. We
got sysops and maintainers for that, and my responsibility is to introduce
them and take care that sysops create accounts for them.
*) "The Board decided (rightly, IMHO) to split" - I don't see any such
decision made by board, but anyway - as quoted above - it's obvious to
everybody that a single person can't do that task. The structure of sysadmins
(responsible for technical aspects of "higher level" aka the complete infra)
and maintainers (responsible for a [single] subsystem and defined as "users on
the machines owned by the sysops") got established by me.
*) "...to prevent a "one man show" in system administration." Here I really
only can say "fairy tale" since obviously HiFo has no faintest clue how the
maemo techstaff works. Assuming there even *could* be such a thing like a "one
man show" clearly disqualifies the one assuming that for any decisions
regarding maintenance organization. You implying that me was that "one man" is
considered by me as malicious intent and as an effort to dazzle community.

*) finally your reference to that email seems pretty incoherent to me. Did you
pick the wrong URL?

/j
Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
On Tue 11 March 2014 10:50:34 twilight312@gmail.com wrote:
> From the whole conversation (minus personal attacks), we have a clear
> picture of one person having too much control over Maemo infrastructure,
> paired with unresponsible/unpredictable behavior.
>
> Cutting the "whose fault it is" part, the real question is: Can Community
> fix it now, or Maemo infra got practically "hijacked" by said person
> beyond recovery? If the former is true, what exactly can be done, and who
> can do it, to reclaim control over infra for community?
>
> Sincerely,
> /Estel

could you please elaborate which hijacking you think you have detected? Please
quote any events that deliver the slightest proof for your claim, when you do.

Do YOU want the responsibility and liability for any accounts on maemo infra
and for any rogue or dangerous activity happening from those accounts? Then
please come up with a reasonable way how I can pass this responsibility I
accepted over to you, I for sure am happy to get rid of this annoying role
that gives me nothing but bitching from a lot of people who don't have a clue
how techstaff orga works. Dunno if those I'm doing this for (the sysops) are
also happy with you as their new partner.

Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]

I don't think it is strictly an alienation what is going on here, rather
a "bit" of misunderstanding. Yet to see who misunderstands what. However
I don't think HiFo can fire the admin coordinator (or whatever the
Joerg's position title is) without even having a person to replace him
with. Even if HiFo has the right to do so. Unless I am unaware of such a
person(and I expect to be informed about such a change in advance, being
a part of the techstaff).

>It's about defining which behavior to consider hostile, unconstructive
>or potentially poisonous for the community, and what to do about it.

My take on the discussion so far is that HiFo tries to redefine its role
as a community accountant(lawyer?, negotiator?) and nothing more. It
seems to me that HiFo wants more "power" over the decision-making
process. And I really think such a redefinition should happen only if the
community finds it necessary and approves it.

Regards,
Ivo
Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
On Sun 09 March 2014 02:42:20 chemist wrote:
> we wanted to make sure that Joerg does not shutdown anything we
> might need as we were unsure if it is even l2 he is talking about or
> another service he never told anyone about.

Letting other nonsense and incorrect "info" aside, did you notice the logical
error in this statement? When HiFo (incorrectly) claims they didn't know I'm
talking about l2 and they expect any other obscure services (they made up) to
go down because of rogue activity on my side, then how would a new alternative
for l2 that they establish without letting me know help to avoid that other
services going down anyway?
Or is this statement just not crafted and checked carefully enough for logical
errors and plausibility before they post it to the public to bash me for
nonsense they made up? Colloquially a lame excuse for them not informing me
that l2 is not needed anymore since they found something better. (I don't even
demand them doing proper peer review of their new solution, it seems that Falk
considered it OK, so I don't care, after all it's just a backup and *Falk*
been the *responsible maintainer* of the original l2 backup, he did it and
always knew about its status in detail and what's there, since he did it. He
also knew I'm paying for that service, despite chemist claiming Falk said he
didn't know or even he knew I don't pay for anything)
Oh, chemist even says he himself used l2 for tmo backup purposes and he never
informed sysops about any change in that (I.E. he never told us "I don't need
the backup space on l2 anymore"). A few lines later he claims no service on l2
ever been used (owtte)

/j
Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
On Tue 11 March 2014 17:22:52 joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> On Tue 11 March 2014 10:50:34 twilight312@gmail.com wrote:
> > From the whole conversation (minus personal attacks), we have a clear
> > picture of one person having too much control over Maemo infrastructure,
> > paired with unresponsible/unpredictable behavior.
> >
> > Cutting the "whose fault it is" part, the real question is: Can Community
> > fix it now, or Maemo infra got practically "hijacked" by said person
> > beyond recovery? If the former is true, what exactly can be done, and who
> > can do it, to reclaim control over infra for community?
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > /Estel
>
> could you please elaborate which hijacking you think you have detected?
> Please quote any events that deliver the slightest proof for your claim,
> when you do.
>
> Do YOU want the responsibility and liability for any accounts on maemo
> infra and for any rogue or dangerous activity happening from those
> accounts? Then please come up with a reasonable way how I can pass this
> responsibility I accepted over to you, I for sure am happy to get rid of
> this annoying role that gives me nothing but bitching from a lot of people
> who don't have a clue how techstaff orga works. Dunno if those I'm doing
> this for (the sysops) are also happy with you as their new partner.
>
> BR
> jOERG

It occurred to me that maybe a few simple facts might help:
Initially (during migration#1) nemein granted root access on maemo infra to
Falk and me.
I instantly delegated main responsibility to Falk, asking him to keep my
accounts on same permission level as a emergency fallback (which we needed
more than once, both directions)
After migration#2 completed and Xes joined as our 2nd sysop (I never
considered myself a true sysop), I made sure Falk would share all "passwords"
with xes and usually also me (for the record).
So state now is: we got 2 sysops (Falk:1, xes:2) who got all the power, and
even more power than me since for some domains I don't have immediate access
(I could reclaim access to most of those domains, via booting of rescue
systems etc, in case both of our sysops traveled same airplane).
While I myself have root access to most of infra, I cannot cause severe damage
anywhere that couldn't get fixed by our sysops - I always insisted in keeping
the status like this, e.g. by finding a off-site backup facility and asking Falk
to manage that, so even a total destruction or hijacking of servers wouldn't
kill maemo and the sysops whoever they are can resume from such backup. I even
insisted to not get *any* access to those new backup servers, keeping the
credentials for that with Falk and xes only. I hoped to accommodate some
concerns that seem to exist in HiFo by doing so.
*Occasionally* I do simple tasks on some domains, like an `ls -l|pastebinit`
or edits of mail aliases when I feel there's an understanding between sysops
and me that they would allow me to do so.
My main and only mandatory task and "power" in maemo admin (assigned by
council, HiFo, and nemein) is to accept/reject new techstaff members and to
suggest to sysops which permissions those new members should get assigned. I'm
responsible for those decisions though I usually don't execute them myself -
sysops do. And I coordinate those decisions with HiFo and council, having them
confirmed or rolled back by those entities. (It seems obvious to me that every
maintenance crew needs such a position of a keyholder, maybe it's not that
obvious to others. Maybe somebody wants to come up with a better model, so
please go ahead and post about it *publicly*, I have no special interest in
this particular model, neither in the role of keyholder)
A task I also took up "officially" is coordination, which means I suggest topics
to work on and I suggest techstaff members that might want to take care of
these topics. And I suggest procedures/methods/solutions and have them
discussed in wider techstaff at least, usually on public channels like #maemo
though. This task basically derived from my keyholder task and been born out
of necessity. All techstaff voluntarily and deliberately agreed on this model
of organization. There seems to be a consensus that such maintenance only
works on a hierarchical structure, not any management by occasion or a
"everybody does what they seem OK" basis. To me it seems HiFo now wants to
install a different model on maemo maintenance organisation. I can't see which
model they suggest, I only notice they demand abolishing the existing model.

If anything in all that seems inappropriate, I request public discussion and
criticism on it, plus detailed constructive suggestions how to improve stuff.
Nothing is so perfect it couldn't improve, but such improvement will not
happen on stealth activity taken or by requests to change stuff without any
rationale to back them up and discussion about the benefits and downsides of
new situation-to-be.

Best regards

Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
On 11 March 2014 10:07, Ивайло Димитров <freemangordon@abv.bg> wrote:

> My take on the discussion so far is that HiFo tries to redefine its role
> as a community accountant(lawyer?, negotiator?) and nothing more. It
> seems to me that HiFo wants more "power" over the decision-making
> process. And I really think such a redefinition should happen only if the
> community finds it necessary and approves it.

No, that's not it. We're the ones signing the contract with Nokia;
we're the ones responsible for the trademark; we're the ones
responsible for making sure maemo.org stays up.

Personally, I have no problem with Joerg, but as has been demonstrated
by this thread, there's been a breakdown of trust from both sides.
Some of the messages quoted have him saying he'll stand down, he's fed
up, he won't do this any more. We called his bluff.

Regards,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg
Hildon Foundation | http://www.hildonfoundation.org/
Re: maemo.org infra safety - HiFo action URGENTLY needed. [ In reply to ]
> On March 11, 2014 at 1:07 PM Ивайло Димитров <freemangordon@abv.bg> wrote:
> I don't think it is strictly an alienation what is going on here, rather
> a "bit" of misunderstanding.

And a series of nasty temper tantrums, threats and more, primarily from one
person.

> My take on the discussion so far is that HiFo tries to redefine its role
> as a community accountant(lawyer?, negotiator?) and nothing more. It
> seems to me that HiFo wants more "power" over the decision-making
> process. And I really think such a redefinition should happen only if the
> community finds it necessary and approves it.

FMG: Those on the Board have *legal responsibility* for upholding agreements
made to keep things going.

For example if any of the following were to happen:
Were the user list from Maemo/TMO to be published and someone went to sue over
it.
If anything containing proprietary information is found on the servers (say, a
Flash 10 package)
If Nokia/MS takes umbrage at Neo900 using software they believed to be
proprietary.

All of those would land in full or partially on HiFo.  Not Joerg, not Falk, not
"techstaff", but HiFo would be listed as the defendant of the suit, which would
fall on the Board to handle.  Joerg protesting "I'm responsible" or "it's all
public domain and open source" won't prevent any of them from suing, or move a
single bit of legal responsibility to him.

Those holding *legal responsibility* for what happens are going to want some
input on what's going on.  If you plan on not giving that to the Board (or those
in positions of responsibility in the new .e.V.), then you're going to have a
damn hard time finding people to volunteer for those positions.  Would you take
on legal liability for something that you had NO control over?  Now throw in
someone having fits, who could do things directly that would impact you
legally.  Looking to sign up yet?

Say what he will, Joerg holds NO legal rights or responsibilities when it comes
to Maemo.  You'll note, he's also offered NO proof that he's liable for
anything.  Where's the NDA he signed when "taking over servers" from Nemien?
None, because WE negotiated that.  Where are the legal documents he signed to be
held accountable for the servers and their contents?  None, same reason.  What
is his liability if someone goes to sue for something found on the website?
None.

My signature is:
On the founding documents for Hildon Foundation (along with Robs and Ivans).
On the IPHH contract, where the servers are running and being maintained.
On the bank account holding HiFos funds, as primary account holder.
On several other preliminary agreements and CR issued by the Board (as well as
other past/current members).

All but the last of those are all matters of public record, as legally required
by US law.  Some of the agreements (esp any that may involve Nokia) may be under
confidentiality agreements, and thus are not public.  Divulging those publicly
could be grounds for either side to terminate negotiations and end any existing
agreements that are on-going.

So ask yourself again: Who's holding the bag, legally, if this all goes bad?
Who has the clearest understanding of what's going on here, legally?  Do you
honestly think that the 10 people who have held the position of Board Director,
all but 2 being a past Maemo Council, were all out to screw the community?  How
likely is that?

Right now you have ONE person spreading FUD, saying things like:
HiFo wants to take over Maemo, and run the servers.
HiFo is negotiating removal of CSSU from Maemo servers.
HiFo is "conspiring against him" by implementing a viable/free backup service.
HiFo holds no legal rights or responsibility for Maemo servers, just him.

None of these are true.  Simple fact checking:

HiFo is currently *trying* to create an .e.V. to have the political and
financial center closer to where everything else is.  If all goes as planned,
within a month that .e.V. will have all legal rights and responsibilities
leveled on it, HiFo will then begin the process of legally dissolving.  You
should also note that all but one of the current Board has already clearly
stated they do NOT intend to hold a position in the new .e.V.  So no "power
grab" going on there.

I personally stepped down from HiFo months ago, and asked Falk to remove my
login rights to all Maemo servers.  Super "power grab" there, right?  Clearly
all a clever ruse so I can piss away the over $1,500 I've spent of my own
personal funds, between starting up HiFo and funding various things (including
Joerg), all non-reimbursed.  How power hungry I am...

Nobody on the Board wants to be a sysadmin.  What most Board members want is
very simple: To have a clear process where they can request things from tech
staff that are legally required and have them done.  They want a clean paper
trail, where services rendered and products purchased are properly billed, and
there is limited chance of legal repercussions down the road.

This particular mess started because I (and others on the Board) were not
comfortable with Joerg "requesting" (or demanding, depending how you read it)
funds for providing a backup service for Maemo.org.  Between a few projects he's
involved in there was concern that HiFo writing a check to him personally could
be seen, legally, as collusion in or support for those projects.  And I'm not
even talking about nefarious things here... The Neo900 project, which Joerg is
clearly part of, if handled improperly even months from now, could result in
problems with Nokia/MS.  If Nokia/MS then came after HiFo for something Neo900
related, pointing to those checks in a court battle, it could cause
complications and legal/financial issues for Board members.  How likely is
that?  Slim.  But it was/is a potential risk, and one we didn't want or need to
take.

Understand, this was not me or HiFo simply saying "no".  We proposed several
other solutions.  I even offered to again wire personal funds, but that was
apparently not an option.  Joerg insisted it be from HiFo to him.  He insisted
it be his way, or he would terminate the "service", and went right to spreading
FUD on IRC.

The kicker for me was that part of this involved me asking a direct question,
the answer to which he lied blatantly about.  That was a large part of why I
resigned from the Board.  If I can't trust someone who is on Council and
techstaff, and in charge of handling issues that I can be legally held
responsible for, I sure as hell didn't want to stay in that position any
longer.  Who would?

-Woody