Mailing List Archive

Re: Nominating Andrew Flegg for Hildon Foundation Board of Directors
On 14 June 2013 15:08, <rabelg5@gmail.com> wrote:

> Per the massive bait he's laid out for me on Twitter, I'd like to nominate
> Andrew Flegg (Jaffa) for the Hildon Foundation Board of Directors election.

Thanks Ryan, I accept.

> For those of you unfamiliar with his body of work, Andrew has been involved
> with Maemo since the beginning with the release of the 770 in 2005 (there's
> a funny story involving his 770 delivery, stairs, and an injured ankle). He
> is the originator of the Community Council concept and the primary architect
> of its formation. He has served several terms on the council, including a
> term during maemo.org's transformation into the site you see today. He
> created and designed MWKN and is the main party responsible for bringing it
> to you each week.
>
> In short Andrew is one of the luminaries of the Maemo Community. His insight
> into the issues an open source community faces are invaluable. He is
> supremely competent and always pleasure to work with. I cannot recommend
> anyone more highly for the board than Jaffa.

It's nice to feel appreciated :-)

My time recently has recently been at a premium with a relocation to
(very sunny[1]) southern California with work. However, this weekend
we're moving in to our new house and - apart from a mass of Ikea
building and waiting for shipping - things should calm down.

My view of the Board is that it's there to support the Council in
whatever ways they require; whilst advising them with my long-term
community involvement, and professional experience. I'm an IT
consultant working in the asset finance industry, and have worked at a
number of different companies. I believe my professional experience,
as well as open source contributions, will well place me for the
responsibilities a Board position requires.

I do not believe it should be the policy of the Hildon Foundation to
chase any open source or mobile phone project looking for approval and
continuation. We have a large community of N900 and N9 users - as well
as a strong-collection of N8x0 users. I believe the primary purpose of
the Foundation is to ensure these devices is supported. A secondary
purpose is to foster additional devices (such as Joerg's suggestion to
the OpenMoko community earlier today on maemo-community[2]) and to try
to ensure the community's continuation. As an example, I encouraged
Ash Nazir (when he was working at BlackBerry) to reach out to the Qt
and Maemo/MeeGo communities to provide a bridge to BlackBerry 10 - for
those who wanted it.

I would be honoured to serve on the Hildon Foundation Board, and would
hope that the stumbling start it experienced can be solved with board
members who understand Maemo, having been involved in the Maemo
community for a long time.

Thanks for reading, if anybody has any questions (for me - or any
other candidates), please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

Andrew

[1] ...despite "June Gloom".
[2] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/maemo/community/66912