Mailing List Archive

non-swapping director
Joseph Mack wrote:

With sufficient number of connections, a director could
start to swap out its tables (is this true?)

In this case, throughput could slow to a crawl. I presume
the kernel would have to retrieve parts of the table to find
the real-server associated with incoming packets. I would
think in this case it would be better to drop connect
requests than to accept them.

In earlier verions of LVS, you could set the amount of
memory for the tables (in bytes). Now you allocate a number
of hashes, whose size could (in the worst case) grow without limit.

If I have 128M RAM == 1M connections, am I going to
run out of ports first?

What would have to happen for LVS to start swapping?
(ie how much of a problem is this?)

If it's possible for LVS to start the director to swap,
is there some way to stop this?

Joe
mailto:mack.joseph@epa.gov ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA
Re: non-swapping director [ In reply to ]
Julian Anastasov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Joseph Mack wrote:
>
> > Joseph Mack wrote:
> >
> > With sufficient number of connections, a director could
> > start to swap out its tables (is this true?)
>
> IMO, this is not true. LVS uses GFP_ATOMIC kind of allocations
> and as I know such allocations can't be swapped out.

OK

> > is there some way to stop this?
>
> You can try with testlvs whether the LVS uses swap. It is easy,
> just start the kernel with LILO option mem=8M and with large swap area.
> Then we must check whether more than 8MB swap will be used.

OK will try it when I get to this stage
Thanks Joe

mailto:mack.joseph@epa.gov ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA
Re: non-swapping director [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Joseph Mack wrote:

> Joseph Mack wrote:
>
> With sufficient number of connections, a director could
> start to swap out its tables (is this true?)

IMO, this is not true. LVS uses GFP_ATOMIC kind of allocations
and as I know such allocations can't be swapped out.

> In this case, throughput could slow to a crawl. I presume
> the kernel would have to retrieve parts of the table to find
> the real-server associated with incoming packets. I would
> think in this case it would be better to drop connect
> requests than to accept them.
>
> In earlier verions of LVS, you could set the amount of
> memory for the tables (in bytes). Now you allocate a number
> of hashes, whose size could (in the worst case) grow without limit.
>
> If I have 128M RAM == 1M connections, am I going to
> run out of ports first?

No, we will run out of memory first :) We will not reach
out of ports :) If we run web cluster for example, we use only one
port, 80.

> What would have to happen for LVS to start swapping?
> (ie how much of a problem is this?)
>
> If it's possible for LVS to start the director to swap,
> is there some way to stop this?

You can try with testlvs whether the LVS uses swap. It is easy,
just start the kernel with LILO option mem=8M and with large swap area.
Then we must check whether more than 8MB swap will be used.

> Joe

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@ssi.bg>