Mailing List Archive

[LVS] mailing list headers
Hi

I have a suggestion to make:
many mailing lists I subscribe to put some prefix in front of every
mail header, e.g.
[LVS] normal header as provided by the original mail

In majordomo, this is an easily applied option.
It is done with the entry in listname.config:
subject_prefix = [LVS]

I don't know how it is configured in other list servers.

It has the advantage that I can recognize all email belonging to this
mailing
list immediately, as it looks distinctly different in my pine list
menu.

If I wanted, I could also redirect it into a special mailbox with
procmail
(yes, I could this also by looking at other header lines, I know).

If it is simple for you, please make this configuration change.

Re: [LVS] mailing list headers [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Alois Treindl wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a suggestion to make:
> many mailing lists I subscribe to put some prefix in front of every
> mail header, e.g.
> [LVS] normal header as provided by the original mail
>
> In majordomo, this is an easily applied option.
> It is done with the entry in listname.config:
> subject_prefix = [LVS]
>
> I don't know how it is configured in other list servers.
>
> It has the advantage that I can recognize all email belonging to this
> mailing
> list immediately, as it looks distinctly different in my pine list
> menu.
>
> If I wanted, I could also redirect it into a special mailbox with
> procmail
> (yes, I could this also by looking at other header lines, I know).
>
> If it is simple for you, please make this configuration change.

May be you can organize you mail based on the headers too.
The subject is not the only option. Look at the LVS mail headers,
there is enough info you can catch.

> --
> || Alois Treindl, Astrodienst AG, mailto:alois@astro.com
> || Zollikon/Zurich, Switzerland
> || Free astrological charts at http://www.astro.com/
> || SWISS EPHEMERIS Free Edition at http://www.astro.com/swisseph/

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@ssi.bg>
Re: [LVS] mailing list headers [ In reply to ]
Alois Treindl wrote:

> many mailing lists I subscribe to put some prefix in front of every
> mail header, e.g.
> [LVS] normal header as provided by the original mail

Yeah, i have the same opinion - it's a good idea.

> (yes, I could this also by looking at other header lines, I know).

I use this for lvs-list:

Sender: lvs-users-admin@linuxvirtualserver.org

--
Florin Andrei
Re: [LVS] mailing list headers [ In reply to ]
Florin Andrei <florin@sgi.com> writes:
> Yeah, i have the same opinion - it's a good idea.

OTOH, I disagree. Some of the lists I run operate this way, but for a
technical list, there is no reason for it. If you can't filter your
mail as is, you certainly can't make use of LVS.

> I use this for lvs-list:
> Sender: lvs-users-admin@linuxvirtualserver.org

So you've got filtering that works. What would subject tagging gain you
but messy "Re: [tag]" vs "[tag] Re:" situations, less visible space on
the subject line, and eye clutter that is entirely redundant given that
you know you're in the LVS mailbox?

Brian.
Re: [LVS] mailing list headers [ In reply to ]
On 12 Feb 2001 13:49:50 -0800, Brian Edmonds wrote:
> Florin Andrei <florin@sgi.com> writes:
> > Yeah, i have the same opinion - it's a good idea.
>
> OTOH, I disagree. Some of the lists I run operate this way, but for a
> technical list, there is no reason for it. If you can't filter your
> mail as is, you certainly can't make use of LVS.

I agree.
But there should be some sort of a standard for all mailing lists. You
know, some standard headers, that should be provided by all mailing list
servers, and all the mail clients will be able to understand and filter
them accordingly...

Well, keep on dreaming... (and we are already off-topic)

--
Florin Andrei