Ian Courtney
Systems Unix Administrator
CADVision Internet (http://www.cadvision.com)
A division of PSINet inc. [NASDAQ PSIX]
300 - 5th Avenue SW, Suite 1810
Calgary, Alberta
Email: ianc@cadvision.com
Phone: (403) 777-1300
Re: IP based Web hosting behind LVS [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Ian Courtney wrote:

> Ok, I've gotten it working but I don't like what I had to do to make it
> work. My setup so far: 1 director, 2 web servers, nfs-mounted /home
> directory that mounts on to both servers. There are 3 Class C's in total
> on the web servers, all 3 are on both of them.
>
> Now, I used the fwmark method to be able to load balance the delivery of
> those three class c's, but it didn't work until I aliased all 3 class
> c's to my director. Do I have to do this? It'll be a real problem if I

Of course, only the packets destined for local addresses/networks
are accepted. The others are dropped or forwarded to another box.

> do, cause the next project involves redoing our standard linux web
> space, which so far consists of about 8 webservers, each hosting atleast
> 2 class c's worth of hosting. I some how don't think Linux will take
> nicely to have 16 or more class C's aliased to it.

Why not? If possible use netmask < 24.

I assume you execute (replace with the right Class C nets):

ifconfig lo:1 207.228.79.0 netmask 255.255.254.0
ifconfig lo:2 207.148.155.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig lo:3 207.148.151.0 netmask 255.255.255.0

on the director and on each real server and solve the arp problem using:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/hidden
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/lo/hidden

in the real servers. If you don't want to advertise these addresses
using ARP to the Cisco LAN, you can execute the above two commands in
the director too.

> thanx in advance.

Regards

--