Not sure how active LVS is these days, but it seems to maybe scratch an itch.

I want to set up a VIP with some number of real servers. I want that
VIP to be available to docker containers which run in distinct network
namespaces. It doesn't seem to work, but maybe I am missing
something?

I have implemented this in pure iptables, but it is complex. IPVS
seems cleaner...

Tim

Re: [lvs-users] LVS and docker containers [ In reply to ]
Can u send the config ?

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [lvs-users] LVS and docker containers [ In reply to ]
I'm really totally new to ipvs.

ipvsadm -A -t 10.10.10.10:1010 -s rr
ipvsadm -a -t 10.10.10.10:1010 -r 10.244.0.7:9376 -m
ipvsadm -a -t 10.10.10.10:1010 -r 10.244.1.4:9376 -m

When I access 10.10.10.10:1010 I get those two backends. WAY simpler
than the iptables equivalent.

But if I do 'docker run -ti busybox wget -qO- 10.10.10.10:1010 it just
hangs', whereas iptables works.

I'm also wrestling with port rewrites without MASQ, but I'll cross
that bridge if I can get it to work with MASQ

Re: [lvs-users] LVS and docker containers [ In reply to ]
Ok can u also post the output of this command : ipvsadm -ln :)

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [lvs-users] LVS and docker containers [ In reply to ]
# ipvsadm -ln
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
-> RemoteAddress:Port Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP 9.9.9.9:99 rr
-> 10.244.0.7:9376 Masq 1 0 0
-> 10.244.1.4:9376 Masq 1 0 0

Re: [lvs-users] LVS and docker containers [ In reply to ]
ok, cool , i think You should download piranha , is a package that comes
with lvs, and ipvsadm and a GUI from Red Hat, to help you to set it up for
the first time.
I can guide u thru it . we use it in different envs, and work great for
us.
After the initial config, the ipvsadm commands, are pretty straight
forward.

>From your command output , it looks that the lvs is pointing to ports 9376.
One thing, if the servers are in different subnet, you need to use tunnel
mode . :)

But start with piranha , I can help u from there, :)

Re: [lvs-users] LVS and docker containers [ In reply to ]
Running a GUI on these machines is not possible - the OS is stripped
down enough that there's no support for it.

To be clear - this current config works - when I hit the VIP it flips
between the endpoints. It just doesn't work for traffic from a docker
container, which crossses a linux bridge and is seen as "routed"
traffic as opposed to local.

I want to avoid encapsulating, if i can - many of the systems we're
building on are already running an encap like VXLAN, and the cost is
already too high.

Re: [lvs-users] LVS and docker containers [ In reply to ]
ok got it.

send the config file it should be under /etc/sysconfig/ha/lvs.cf or similar
also to see what's going on, and troubleshoot I usually run two commands:
ipvsadm -lcn , to see the status of the connections , and ipvsadm -ln
--stats.

one thing if u are using rr (round robin) is a fixed scheduler, you might
want to use a dynamic, like wlc. there's also a persistent option, to
prevent the jump, we use with our nfs env, but not sure what if would help
u.
Re: [lvs-users] LVS and docker containers [ In reply to ]
I have no lvs config - I just want the ipvs functionality, which WORKS
(awesome) but not on traffic from a docker container (not awesome).

in iptables parlance, ipvs is handling traffic in the OUTPUT chain,
but not the PREROUTING chain

Re: [lvs-users] LVS and docker containers [ In reply to ]
Anything else to look at here?