Mailing List Archive

Multiple clusters....
I'm considering deploying LVS on our web clusters (in my not so copious
free time!), and would appreciate some thoughts on the following:

A typical web cluster for us would look something like this:

LVSdirector--------------+---------------real server----------------\
| 192.168.0.98 | 192.168.0.99 212.187.214.99 |
212.187.214.97| | |
| +---------------real server---------------\|
| | 192.168.0.100 212.187.214.100 ||
| | ||
| +---------------real server--------------\||
| | 192.168.0.101 212.187.214.101 |||
| | |||
| +---------------real server-------------\|||
| 192.168.0.102 212.187.214.102||||
| ||||
\--------------------------------------------------------\||||
switch

/
Internet_____________router_______/

Director using DR, of course. I THINK I have this setup right?

Now, our problem is that we have several of these clusters, which are
geographically widely separated. We're doing some measure of DNS-based
providing of the 'nearest' cluster for a given user, but it isn't necessarily
true that a given cluster can handle all its potential traffic.

Does anyone have any ideas on ways of setting up a director to go
"um, I can't handle any more web connections, why don't you try THIS cluster
instead"?
--
Mike Whitaker | Work: +44 1733 766619 | Work: mike@cricinfo.com
System Architect | Fax: +44 1733 348287 | Home: mike@altrion.org
Re: Multiple clusters.... [ In reply to ]
Mike Whitaker wrote:

> I'm considering deploying LVS on our web clusters (in my not so copious
> free time!), and would appreciate some thoughts on the following:
>
> A typical web cluster for us would look something like this:
>
> LVSdirector--------------+---------------real server----------------\
> | 192.168.0.98 | 192.168.0.99 212.187.214.99 |
> 212.187.214.97| | |
> | +---------------real server---------------\|
> | | 192.168.0.100 212.187.214.100 ||
> | | ||
> | +---------------real server--------------\||
> | | 192.168.0.101 212.187.214.101 |||
> | | |||
> | +---------------real server-------------\|||
> | 192.168.0.102 212.187.214.102||||
> | ||||
> \--------------------------------------------------------\||||
> switch
> |
> /
> Internet_____________router_______/
>
> Director using DR, of course. I THINK I have this setup right?

hmm we're reaching new heights of ascii art here.

if 212.187.214.97 is the VIP, then the real-servers will need this IP too
(and not x.x.x.99-102)

> Now, our problem is that we have several of these clusters, which are
> geographically widely separated. We're doing some measure of DNS-based
> providing of the 'nearest' cluster for a given user, but it isn't necessarily
> true that a given cluster can handle all its potential traffic.

there is a geographically based load balancer by one of the LVS developers
which uses BGP

http://supersparrow.sourceforge.net/

Joe

mailto:mack.joseph@epa.gov ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA