Mailing List Archive

Topologies Questions
Hi Everybody,

I have a problem with network HA architecture, and I want to have your
feeling.

I have two web server (W1 and W2), the two one have public IP. My goal
is to add high availibity between this two server.

Here the network :

INTERNET

SWITCH
SWITCH

\ / |

\ / |

X |

/ \ |

/ \ |
WEB 1
WEB 2

The problem I have are :

- I can't change public IP to private IP (for web1 et web2)
- I can't add a box between the switches and the web servers

My idea is to add LVS on WEB1. The request will arrive to web1 which
will load-balancing it between him-self and web2. (is it possible?).
The problem is, if web1 crash, there are lots a chance that lvs will
crash too. So request are lost. So my second idea, is to add monitor on
web2 so that if web1 crash, web2 reconfigure it-self like web1 (same
IP).

I think that LVS-DR is the right method for LVS.

Is someone found mistake on my idea ? Is someone have already done that
or have another better solution ?

Best Regards,

Matthieu MARC
matthieu.marc@wanadoo.fr
Re: Topologies Questions [ In reply to ]
Matthieu MARC wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> I have a problem with network HA architecture, and I want to have your
> feeling.
>
> I have two web server (W1 and W2), the two one have public IP. My goal
> is to add high availibity between this two server.
>
> Here the network :
>
> INTERNET
>
> SWITCH
> SWITCH
> |
> \ / |
> |
> \ / |
> |
> X |
> |
> / \ |
> |
> / \ |
> WEB 1
> WEB 2
>
> The problem I have are :
>
> - I can't change public IP to private IP (for web1 et web2)
> - I can't add a box between the switches and the web servers
>
> My idea is to add LVS on WEB1. The request will arrive to web1 which
> will load-balancing it between him-self and web2. (is it possible?).
> The problem is, if web1 crash, there are lots a chance that lvs will
> crash too. So request are lost. So my second idea, is to add monitor on
> web2 so that if web1 crash, web2 reconfigure it-self like web1 (same
> IP).
>
> I think that LVS-DR is the right method for LVS.
>
> Is someone found mistake on my idea ? Is someone have already done that
> or have another better solution ?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Matthieu MARC
> matthieu.marc@wanadoo.fr

For failover all you need is the heartbeat code, not LVS. LVS is for
providing a virtual service.

--

Andy Gussie
Network Administrator
Re: Topologies Questions [ In reply to ]
Andy Gussie a écrit :

> Matthieu MARC wrote:
>
>> Hi Everybody,
>>
>> I have a problem with network HA architecture, and I want to have
>> your
>> feeling.
>>
>> I have two web server (W1 and W2), the two one have public IP. My
>> goal
>> is to add high availibity between this two server.
>>
>> Here the network :
>>
>> INTERNET
>>
>> SWITCH
>> SWITCH
>> |
>> \ / |
>> |
>> \ / |
>> |
>> X |
>> |
>> / \ |
>> |
>> / \ |
>> WEB 1
>> WEB 2
>>
>> The problem I have are :
>>
>> - I can't change public IP to private IP (for web1 et web2)
>> - I can't add a box between the switches and the web servers
>>
>> My idea is to add LVS on WEB1. The request will arrive to web1 which
>>
>> will load-balancing it between him-self and web2. (is it possible?).
>>
>> The problem is, if web1 crash, there are lots a chance that lvs will
>>
>> crash too. So request are lost. So my second idea, is to add monitor
>> on
>> web2 so that if web1 crash, web2 reconfigure it-self like web1 (same
>>
>> IP).
>>
>> I think that LVS-DR is the right method for LVS.
>>
>> Is someone found mistake on my idea ? Is someone have already done
>> that
>> or have another better solution ?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Matthieu MARC
>> matthieu.marc@wanadoo.fr

> For failover all you need is the heartbeat code, not LVS. LVS is for
> providing a virtual service.
>
> --
>

> Andy Gussie
> Network Administrator
> eFruit International, Inc.
> 7380 Sandlake Rd Suite 400
> Orlando FL, 32819
> Ph: 407-352-8081 Fax: 407-352-8085
> mailto:andy.gussie@efruitinternational.com
> http://www.efruitinternational.com

But if I have more than 2 web servers in the future ? I will not be able
to use FOS. And if I want to do load-balancing, I have to use LVS.
Re: Topologies Questions [ In reply to ]
Matthieu MARC wrote:

> Andy Gussie a écrit :
>
>> Matthieu MARC wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Everybody,
>> >
>> > I have a problem with network HA architecture, and I want to have
>> > your
>> > feeling.
>> >
>> > I have two web server (W1 and W2), the two one have public IP. My
>> > goal
>> > is to add high availibity between this two server.
>> >
>> > Here the network :
>> >
>> > INTERNET
>> >
>> > SWITCH
>> > SWITCH
>> > |
>> > \ / |
>> > |
>> > \ / |
>> > |
>> > X |
>> > |
>> > / \ |
>> > |
>> > / \ |
>> > WEB 1
>> > WEB 2
>> >
>> > The problem I have are :
>> >
>> > - I can't change public IP to private IP (for web1 et web2)
>> > - I can't add a box between the switches and the web servers
>> >
>> > My idea is to add LVS on WEB1. The request will arrive to web1
>> > which
>> > will load-balancing it between him-self and web2. (is it
>> > possible?).
>> > The problem is, if web1 crash, there are lots a chance that lvs
>> > will
>> > crash too. So request are lost. So my second idea, is to add
>> > monitor on
>> > web2 so that if web1 crash, web2 reconfigure it-self like web1
>> > (same
>> > IP).
>> >
>> > I think that LVS-DR is the right method for LVS.
>> >
>> > Is someone found mistake on my idea ? Is someone have already done
>> > that
>> > or have another better solution ?
>> >
>> > Best Regards,
>> >
>> > Matthieu MARC
>> > matthieu.marc@wanadoo.fr

>> For failover all you need is the heartbeat code, not LVS. LVS is for
>> providing a virtual service.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Andy Gussie
>> Network Administrator
>> eFruit International, Inc.
>> 7380 Sandlake Rd Suite 400
>> Orlando FL, 32819
>> Ph: 407-352-8081 Fax: 407-352-8085
>> mailto:andy.gussie@efruitinternational.com
>> http://www.efruitinternational.com
>>

> But if I have more than 2 web servers in the future ? I will not be
> able to use FOS. And if I want to do load-balancing, I have to use
> LVS.

Your right, you will have to add another box for LVS somehow.