Mailing List Archive

Re: Solr Flare for non-Ruby users.
On Feb 23, 2007, at 7:09 PM, Gmail Account wrote:

> I haven't looked at Solr Flare at all.. but was wondering if it is
> possible to use some of the work done in solr flare with non-Ruby
> applications? For example, could the tagging and faceting be
> extracted more so it's not Ruby specific and handled in the solr
> java request handler?

Well, at this point there is no tagging in Flare, so we can address
that when the time comes - certainly it will leverage Solr for the
heavy lifting. As for faceting, I'm not sure what you mean... Solr
supports faceting just fine, and Flare displays paints a pretty
picture around it. Can you propose a more concrete example of where
you think something Flare does should be pushed back into Solr? I'm
all for that, and in fact we will certainly see both Solr and Flare
evolve to work more cooperatively.

Erik
Re: Solr Flare for non-Ruby users. [ In reply to ]
On Feb 24, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Gmail Account wrote:
> I guess I was more interested in the tagging part more than
> anything. I was thinking that Collex was using tagging from Flare
> and I wanted to see how it was being done or use it. I'm about to
> try implementing tagging with my non-Ruby (.NET) application that
> uses Solr.

As for tagging, it's not as simple as just adding tags to Solr. A
tag (generally) belongs to a user, so where does the user name come
from? Solr can't be responsible for that, though it would clearly
become a field that you'd want in Solr.

As for Collex and Flare. Flare is a distillation of the _ideas_ in
Collex, but currently the two share nothing, not even solr-ruby. The
plan is to migrate pieces of Collex to Flare as we can.

Erik