Hi Lucene friends!

How the files of different format can be indexed and searched? ( As I
know lucene is having HTML indexer and searcher, which comes along with
it and also XML indexer, but is there any way to index files
irrespective of the file type)
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance.
Pradeep

Re: indexing and searching different file formats [ In reply to ]
Pradeep,
Currently Lucene does not provide the ability to convert documents
to text for indexing. There is talk of adding this kind of thing to the
goal of the project, along with providing crawlers to traverse web,
local disk, ftp, and RDBMS sources of data.

The problem with indexining irrespective of file type is that each document
format contains embedded information that must be stripped out (or ignored)
and the text needs to be retrieved for indexing. An extreeme example is
a PDF which has a considerably complicated document format.

On the contributions page there are some pointers that may provide information
about processing the types of documents you're interested in.

http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/contributions.html

If you've not taken the time to do so, look at the FAQs, they are very
informative:

http://www.lucene.com/cgi-bin/faq/faqmanager.cgi
http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/gettingstarted.html
http://www.jguru.com/faq/Lucene

Good luck!

Andy

Re: indexing and searching different file formats [ In reply to ]
Hi pradeep,

The Lucene Document is not document type specific. It is a Lucene class
which is made up of fields (which have different options).
Data in a document is parsed and put into a one for more of these fields.

So Lucene can really handle any kind of document, their just needs to be a
document parser that puts the document into the Lucene Document format.

I hope this helps.

--Peter

Re: indexing and searching different file formats [ In reply to ]
Thanks a lot Andy.
-Pradeep

Re: indexing and searching different file formats [ In reply to ]
Andrew Libby wrote:

> and the text needs to be retrieved for indexing. An extreeme example is
> a PDF which has a considerably complicated document format.

The PJ library from www.etymon.com provides a pretty complete and
easy-to-use API for getting info from PDF docs. It wouldn't be too hard
to write a PDF indexer for Lucene using this library. The main challenge
would be guessing word boundaries in strings where spaces have been
replaced with explicit shift values by the formatter.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@isogen.com
Consultant, ISOGEN International

1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139

Re: indexing and searching different file formats [ In reply to ]
Uhmmm, I can contribute something which does a pretty decent job if anyone's
interested...

Just have to clean it up a little...

Regards,
Kelvin

Re: indexing and searching different file formats [ In reply to ]
Known limitations here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg00280.html

HTH.

Regards,
Kelvin

PS: Pj library is GPL'ed. Commercial licenses go for $5,000 per 100 copies
(1 CPU per copy).