Mailing List Archive

Search all words of a query
Hi all.

On a form, users may enter words. I must search with thoses words.
What I actually do is creating a Query with QueryParser using my analyzer.
But this make a search that match if one word match.

I know that if I wan't all words to match, I must add a '+' before each
word.
I'd like to not be obliged to do this and I don't want to ask the user to
make this.

Does any one see on witch parameter I can play to do this ?

I don't think it's in the analyser (I already tried ! instead, I never had
any result).
No, It's in the QueryParser but I'm not sure I can do anything.

If sombody have the answer (positive or negative), It would be helpfull.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Re: Search all words of a query [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Right now you must either use the form foo AND bar or +foo +bar
to accomplish what you want to do before you send the query to the
QueryParser.

Another alternative is to parse the query yourself and then create the
queries using the BooleanQuery with the required flag set. This is
somewhat difficult if you want to keep all the current QueryParser
functionality.
One last option is to copy the current QueryParser and modify it to meet
your needs.

Hope this helps.
--Peter

Re: Search all words of a query [ In reply to ]
Isn't it standard that if the user wants all words to match they will use
the AND keyword? (Lucene supports this) If you want all words to match all
of the time, why not just split the query with a StringTokenizer and put it
back together with the + ? That should only be five or ten lines of code...

Or, of course, you could add a checkbox for the user that was labeled
'match all words' and do the above only in the condition of that box being
checked..

At 04:07 PM 2/12/2002 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>On a form, users may enter words. I must search with thoses words.
>What I actually do is creating a Query with QueryParser using my analyzer.
>But this make a search that match if one word match.
>
>I know that if I wan't all words to match, I must add a '+' before each
>word.
>I'd like to not be obliged to do this and I don't want to ask the user to
>make this.
>
>Does any one see on witch parameter I can play to do this ?
>
>I don't think it's in the analyser (I already tried ! instead, I never had
>any result).
>No, It's in the QueryParser but I'm not sure I can do anything.
>
>If sombody have the answer (positive or negative), It would be helpfull.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Mike
>

>--

"The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win you're still a rat."
--Lily Tomlin
Charles Harvey
Developer
http://www.philly.com