Mailing List Archive

Lucene beginner
I am new to Lucene and am quite overwhelmed with the whole installation and
deployment process. I am trying to get the web application demo going but am
stuck at the stage where you have to create the index as I am a bit
confused at the instructions. Could someone please clarify this part for me
?

Also, I have not yet installed Ant. What is it and do I need to install it ?

Thanks very much.
Saima

-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#
The Pareto Partners group of firms is structured as an affiliation of
different legal entities established in various jurisdictions. The
principle legal entity is Pareto Partners, a partnership established under
the laws of England and Wales (which is a separate legal entity from the
affiliated partnership of the same name based in New York City and
established under the laws of the State of New York). The partnership
established under the laws of England and Wales is regulated by, amongst
other regulators, the United Kingdom's Financial Services Authority. The
information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely
for the use of the named addressee. Access to this e-mail by any other
person is not authorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please do
not disclose, copy, distribute, take any action or rely on it and please
advise us immediately by return e-mail to postmaster@paretopartners.com.
The information contained in this email has been obtained in good faith from
sources believed to be reliable but no representation or warranty is given
or may be implied that it is entirely accurate or complete, and may be
subject to change. If the email is addressed to a client, any opinion or
advice contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms and conditions
expressed in the governing client agreement. Any views or opinions presented
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of any
Pareto firm.
RE: Lucene beginner [ In reply to ]
Hi,

You have to use the IndexHTML program to create an index and then you can use this index with the demo. Something like
'java org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML [-create] [-index <index>]<root_directory>'. You need lucene and lucene-demo jars in your
classpath. If needed, you can use -cp to provide them (java -cp "lucene-demos-1.2-rc3.jar;lucene-1.2-rc3.jar"
org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML ....)
What's exactly the problem you're having?

Regarding Ant, it is a Java based build tool (like make) You don't need to use it unless you want to build lucene. If you're using
lucene's binary distribution you only have to have lucene's jar in your application classpath.

Regards,

--Daniel

Re: Lucene beginner [ In reply to ]
You're going into a subdirectory of the webapps directory and creating your
index relative to that directory. This causes the index to contain paths
like /luceneweb/../examples/index.jsp.. This is a moronic way to handle the
context/url problem, but it works well enough for this simple example..
Does that clear up what you're looking for?

<Saima.Shaikh@paretopartners.com> wrote.

RE: Lucene beginner [ In reply to ]
Daniel,

Thank you very much for replying.
I've managed to get to the stage of running the demo and can bring up the
search page. But I get an internal server error saying that it was unable to
compile the class for JSP because 7 packages were not found:

-org.apache.lucene.analysis.*;
-org.apache.lucene.document.*;
-org.apache.lucene.index.*;
-org.apache.lucene.search.*;
-org.apache.lucene.queryParser.*;
-org.apache.lucene.demo.*;
-org.apache.lucene.demo.html.Entities;

I know that these are imported at the top of results.jsp but where should
they be places within the Jakarta directory and where in lucene can I obtain
them from ?

Thanks again,
Saima

RE: Lucene beginner [ In reply to ]
Hi Saima,

To run the demo, you have to have lucene-demos-1.2-rc3.jar and lucene-1.2-rc3.jar in your context classpath. If you're using Tomcat,
you can either have a directory under your application WEB-INF named lib with the jars or put them under Tomcat's common/lib (the
former option is prefered, since probably other applications don't need access to these jars).

Don't forget to configure the demo file configuration.jsp, so that indexLocation points to the place you've created your index.

--Daniel