Mailing List Archive

JDK 1.1 vs 1.2+
Hello everyone,

I originally posted this question to the developers list, but was asked
to repeat it here.

I'm working on some new functionality I plan to submit for Lucene. In
doing this I've noticed that Lucene currently maintains compatibility
with JDK 1.1. This has some disadvantages for instance the use of
"vector" versus some of the new collections. Next, some of the
functionality I plan to add requires JDK 1.2. Finally, some of the
internationalization features of Java do not work well in 1.1. For
these reasons I suggest a move to 1.2+. While it seems reasonable to me
to drop support for a >4 year old version of the JDK, I realize it may
still present a problem to some users and would like to raise a
discussion on this.

How many people are still using 1.1 and would be negatively affected by
Lucene's use of 1.2 features? Of those, how many people can not move to
1.2 for server side development?

-Andy
--
www.superlinksoftware.com
- fix java generics!

vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

RE: JDK 1.1 vs 1.2+ [ In reply to ]
Hey all,

I'd just like to chime in support for dropping JDK 1.1, especially if it
would aid i18n in Lucene. There just doesn't seem to be a compelling
reason to build anything for JDK 1.1 anymore.

Regards,
Matt
Jive Software

.html
- fix java generics!

vote. -Ambassador Kosh

RE: JDK 1.1 vs 1.2+ [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: JDK 1.1 vs 1.2+ [ In reply to ]
+1

/Stefan Bergstrand

RE: JDK 1.1 vs 1.2+ [ In reply to ]
+1

after all even SUN encourages all customers to get rid of jdk 1.1

regards
Alexander Jesse