Mailing List Archive

Support of RRF (Reciprocal Rank Fusion) by Lucene?
Hi

IIUC Lucene does not contain a RRF implementation, for example to merge
keyword/BM25 and vector search results, right?

I think it would be nice to have within Lucene, WDYT?

Thanks

Michael

Re: Support of RRF (Reciprocal Rank Fusion) by Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Hey Michael,

I agree that it would be a nice addition. Plus it should be pretty easy to
implement. This sounds like a good fit for a utility method on the TopDocs
class?

On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 2:54?PM Michael Wechner <michael.wechner@wyona.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> IIUC Lucene does not contain a RRF implementation, for example to merge
> keyword/BM25 and vector search results, right?
>
> I think it would be nice to have within Lucene, WDYT?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael

Adrien
Re: Support of RRF (Reciprocal Rank Fusion) by Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Hi Adrien

Cool, thanks for your quick feedback!

Yes, IIUC it should not be too difficult.

Should I create github issue to discuss in more detail

https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues

Thanks

Michael

Re: Support of RRF (Reciprocal Rank Fusion) by Lucene? [ In reply to ]
GitHub issue or PR directly, whatever works best for you is going to work
for us.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 3:12?PM Michael Wechner <michael.wechner@wyona.com>
wrote:

> Hi Adrien
>
> Cool, thanks for your quick feedback!
>
> Yes, IIUC it should not be too difficult.
>
> Should I create github issue to discuss in more detail
>
> https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael
>
> Am 26.03.24 um 14:56 schrieb Adrien Grand:
> > Hey Michael,
> >
> > I agree that it would be a nice addition. Plus it should be pretty easy
> > implement. This sounds like a good fit for a utility method on the
> TopDocs
> > class?
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 2:54?PM Michael Wechner <
> michael.wechner@wyona.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> IIUC Lucene does not contain a RRF implementation, for example to merge
> >> keyword/BM25 and vector search results, right?
> >>
> >> I think it would be nice to have within Lucene, WDYT?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Michael

Adrien
Re: Support of RRF (Reciprocal Rank Fusion) by Lucene? [ In reply to ]
thanks, will try to get started asap :-)