Mailing List Archive

Proof of concept for a Luke IntelliJ plugin
Hello everyone!

I've been working on a proof of concept of creating an IntelliJ plugin from the Luke application and it reached a demoable state.

If anyone of the Lucene core maintainers, team leads, etc. is interested, I'd be glad to demonstrate it and discuss a potential future for the plugin. In that case please let me know who and where I could contact directly.

Or, if I'm at the wrong place for such a topic, please point me to the right direction. :)

Cheers,
Tamás Balog
Re: Proof of concept for a Luke IntelliJ plugin [ In reply to ]
Hi Tamas

Can one download your plugin somewhere to test it?

Thanks

Michael

Re: Proof of concept for a Luke IntelliJ plugin [ In reply to ]
Hi Michael,

Not at the moment, but I can share privately a built plugin archive (a .zip file) that one can install manually.

If the plugin looks suitable, I think the best place for it would be under the Apache GitHub organization, and my question is, are you someone who can help with that?

Also, although, I don't want to jump ahead too much, since I work as a freelancer, I have to prioritize what projects I work on. Thus, I must ask, if this project got under the Apache umbrella, would there be a chance of receiveing a financial compensation for this work (maybe under some kind of contract) and potential longer-term maintenance?

Best regards,
Tamás

---Tamás Balog
Freelance JetBrains IDE Plugin Developer

Find me on: GitHub / JetBrains Marketplace / LinkedIn / Website

Proton Mail biztonságos e-maillel küldve.

Re: Proof of concept for a Luke IntelliJ plugin [ In reply to ]
Hi Tamas

Am 15.11.23 um 08:51 schrieb Balog Tamás:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Not at the moment, but I can share privately a built plugin archive (a .zip file) that one can install manually.

I would be happy to test it

Please see https://incubator.apache.org/

> Also, although, I don't want to jump ahead too much, since I work as a freelancer, I have to prioritize what projects I work on. Thus, I must ask, if this project got under the Apache umbrella, would there be a chance of receiveing a financial compensation for this work (maybe under some kind of contract) and potential longer-term maintenance?

Please see https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works/

All the best

Michael

Re: Proof of concept for a Luke IntelliJ plugin [ In reply to ]
Hi Balog,
first of all, thanks, I think it's a cool idea!

In regards to giving it to the Apache Software Foundation, it works as a
donation:
you assign a permissive license (Apache) and contribute it as a Lucene
module (most likely, like it happened with Luke) or a separate project
(unlikely to deserve a separate one as Luke has been donated itself to
Lucene).
This won't happen automatically, you'll need to <convince> a Lucene
committer it's good code and a good idea and have it merged one day.

You won't get any money, but if you continue contributing, you may become
an Apache Lucene committer one day.
Also, that won't give you any money, it's rather the opposite, it's
volunteering work.

Given that, there are other ways of making money out of a contribution:

- a company becomes interested in such a contribution and pays you to
maintain it
- companies start using that part of Lucene and ask the creator to do some
consulting

As a personal recommendation, If you are a freelancer and need money I
wouldn't suggest pursuing this activity as a quick revenue channel (because
it's unlikely you'll see any money anytime soon), do it if you want to
donate and benefit the broader community (i.e. you get the money from other
projects)

Hope it helps,

Cheers
--------------------------
*Alessandro Benedetti*
Director @ Sease Ltd.
*Apache Lucene/Solr Committer*
*Apache Solr PMC Member*

e-mail: a.benedetti@sease.io

*Sease* - Information Retrieval Applied
Consulting | Training | Open Source

Website: Sease.io <http://sease.io/>
LinkedIn <https://linkedin.com/company/sease-ltd> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/seaseltd> | Youtube
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDx86ZKLYNpI3gzMercM7BQ> | Github
<https://github.com/seaseltd>

Re: Proof of concept for a Luke IntelliJ plugin [ In reply to ]
Michael, Alessandro, thank you for the links and the summary. I appreciate the help.

Meanwhile, I also read up on the sent documents/pages, and yeah, I see it's based on donation of existing projects, and the financial aspects aside, the incubation process would seemingly require more capacity on my side that I can spare now.

For now, I might put this project aside, but I'll see how I could host and release this under my GitHub account at first. (Without violating license terms, as the plugin's code base is still more than 90% the same as Luke's, as I simply reused its source code, so that I don't have to reimplement everything.)

@Michael: I built the plugin .zip file. It is about 55MB due to having to bundle the dependent Lucene jars too. Is it ok if I share it on Google Drive and send you a link to it to your wyona email address?

Cheers,
Tamás

Re: Proof of concept for a Luke IntelliJ plugin [ In reply to ]
Hi Tamas

Am 16.11.23 um 08:55 schrieb Balog Tamás:
> Michael, Alessandro, thank you for the links and the summary. I appreciate the help.
>
> Meanwhile, I also read up on the sent documents/pages, and yeah, I see it's based on donation of existing projects, and the financial aspects aside, the incubation process would seemingly require more capacity on my side that I can spare now.
>
> For now, I might put this project aside, but I'll see how I could host and release this under my GitHub account at first. (Without violating license terms, as the plugin's code base is still more than 90% the same as Luke's, as I simply reused its source code, so that I don't have to reimplement everything.)

AFAIK Luke is also using Apache License 2.0, so you should not have a
licensing issue re Luke itself at least

> @Michael: I built the plugin .zip file. It is about 55MB due to having to bundle the dependent Lucene jars too. Is it ok if I share it on Google Drive and send you a link to it to your wyona email address?

yes, that would be great!

Thanks

Michael

Re: Proof of concept for a Luke IntelliJ plugin [ In reply to ]
Hi Balog,
as I mentioned, in my opinion it's extremely unlikely that such a project
(Intellij Luke Plugin) could be considered to be incubated.
Luke itself is an auxiliary tool for an Apache project and it has been
contributed to Apache Lucene so the most natural place I would see your
project fit is Apache Lucene as well (a plugin to support an auxiliary
tool for an Apache project in an IDE).
And contributing to Apache Lucene is much more lightweight than setting up
a project in the Apache incubator.
Just to let you know.
Also contributing to Lucene takes time and I can't guarantee your code
would be accepted, as a minimum it will require various iterations
of feedback, but you can start the process if you are passionate about it!

Cheers
--------------------------

Re: Proof of concept for a Luke IntelliJ plugin [ In reply to ]
I agree with Alessandro, that contributing your plugin to the Apache
Lucene project would be more lightweight, than incubating.

But maybe it is a good idea, that you first make it available on your
own github account and check there how things go.
The Apache License permits you to do this as long as you reference that
Luke and Lucene are developed by the Apache Software Foundation.

Btw, I just got your plugin running and it is very cool, that I can now
run Luke within IntelliJ :-) thank you for making a demo version available!

Thanks

Michael

Re: Proof of concept for a Luke IntelliJ plugin [ In reply to ]
My first understanding was that the only way is through incubation, but actually I have other options too.

I'll lament on these options, and if/when the plugin gets in a more stable state, I'll definitely share it with the community.

Thank you again to both of you!

Cheers,
Tamás