Mailing List Archive

[VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm
Dear Lucene and Solr developers!

Sorry for the multiple threads. This should be the last one.

In February a contest was started to design a new logo for Lucene
[jira-issue]. The initial attempt [first-vote] to call a vote resulted in
some confusion on the rules, as well the request for one additional
submission. The second attempt [second-vote] yesterday had incorrect links
for one of the submissions. I would like to call a new vote, now with more
explicit instructions on how to vote, and corrected links.

*Please read the following rules carefully* before submitting your vote.

*Who can vote?*

Anyone is welcome to cast a vote in support of their favorite
submission(s). Note that only PMC member's votes are binding. If you are a
PMC member, please indicate with your vote that the vote is binding, to
ease collection of votes. In tallying the votes, I will attempt to verify
only those marked as binding.

*How do I vote?*
Votes can be cast simply by replying to this email. It is a ranked-choice
vote [rank-choice-voting]. Multiple selections may be made, where the order
of preference must be specified. If an entry gets more than half the votes,
it is the winner. Otherwise, the entry with the lowest number of votes is
removed, and the votes are retallied, taking into account the next
preferred entry for those whose first entry was removed. This process
repeats until there is a winner.

The entries are broken up by variants, since some entries have multiple
color or style variations. The entry identifiers are first a capital
letter, followed by a variation id (described with each entry below), if
applicable. As an example, if you prefer variant 1 of entry A, followed by
variant 2 of entry A, variant 3 of entry C, entry D, and lastly variant 4e
of entry B, the following should be in your reply:

(binding)
vote: A1, A2, C3, D, B4e

*Entries*

The entries are as follows:

A*.* Submitted by Dustin Haver. This entry has two variants, A1 and A2.

[A1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12999548/Screen%20Shot%202020-04-10%20at%208.29.32%20AM.png
[A2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12997172/LuceneLogo.png

B. Submitted by Stamatis Zampetakis. This has several variants. Within the
linked entry there are 7 patterns and 7 color palettes. Any vote for B
should contain the pattern number followed by the lowercase letter of the
color palette. For example, B3e or B1a.

[B]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12997768/zabetak-1-7.pdf

C. Submitted by Baris Kazar. This entry has 8 variants.

[C1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/13006392/lucene_logo1_full.pdf
[C2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/13006393/lucene_logo2_full.pdf
[C3]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/13006394/lucene_logo3_full.pdf
[C4]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/13006395/lucene_logo4_full.pdf
[C5]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/13006396/lucene_logo5_full.pdf
[C6]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/13006397/lucene_logo6_full.pdf
[C7]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/13006398/lucene_logo7_full.pdf
[C8]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/13006399/lucene_logo8_full.pdf

D. The current Lucene logo.

[D] https://lucene.apache.org/theme/images/lucene/lucene_logo_green_300.png

Please vote for one of the above choices. This vote will close about one
week from today, Mon, Sept 7, 2020 at 11:59PM.

Thanks!

[jira-issue] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9221
[first-vote]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/202006.mbox/%3cCA+DiXd74Mz4H6o9SmUNLUuHQc6Q1-9mzUR7xfxR03ntGwo=dUg@mail.gmail.com%3e
[second-vote]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/202009.mbox/%3cCA+DiXd7eBrQu5+aJQ3jKaUtUTJUqaG2U6o+kUZfNe-m=Smn0xA@mail.gmail.com%3e
[rank-choice-voting] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
A1 :-)

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
A1, A2, D (binding)

--
Adrien
Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
D (binding)

--
Steve

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]

Regards
Ameer

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
(non-binding)
vote: A1, A2, D

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
A2, A1
Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
D (binding)

Atri
Apache Concerted
Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
Ryan,

Sorry for the confusion but here is my retake

(binding)
vote: A1, A2, D

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
D. Binding.

Dawid

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
A2, A1, C5, D (binding)

Thank you to everyone for working so hard to make such cool looking
possible future Lucene logos! And to Ryan for the challenging job of
calling this VOTE :)

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re:[VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
(binding)
vote: D, A1.

I like the sleekness and freshness of A1 but somehow the existing D also has a nice quirkiness and warmth to it. So it's a close call between them for me with D slightly more favourite.

Christine

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
(binding)
vote: A1, D, A2

All logos look awesome and cool!
Thank you, Ryan, Dustin, Stamatis and Baris :D

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
vote: A1, A2

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
vote: A1, A2

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
A1, A2, D (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
A1, A2, D binding

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
A1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
A1, A2, D (binding)

Kevin Risden

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
(binding)
vote: D, A1

(thanks Ryan for your thorough vote instructions & preparation)
Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
A1, D, A2 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
A1, D (binding)

Regards,
Munendra S N

RE: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
Hi,

My votes (binding): A1, D

Reason: I want to keep the original Lucene colors, so A1 is the only alternative. I still really like the old one, if it would be better vectorized, so my second choice is D.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
I forgot to vote myself. :)

Re: [VOTE] Lucene logo contest, third time's a charm [ In reply to ]
(non-binding)
B5d, A2

Marcus Eagan

1 2  View All